Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Dehydrated Food Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Dehydrated Food Thread

My hiking partner dehydrated a lot of stuff for last year's walk. I will not be carrying any this year. Don't get me wrong. Some of it was a success. The lasagna was the best meal. I just view it too much trouble when there are prepackaged alternatives. Buying the processed stuff has a down side of all the junk they put in it. It has an up side of ease. Perhaps this discussion will change my mind.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

My hiking partner dehydrated a lot of stuff for last year's walk. I will not be carrying any this year. Don't get me wrong. Some of it was a success. The lasagna was the best meal. I just view it too much trouble when there are prepackaged alternatives. Buying the processed stuff has a down side of all the junk they put in it. It has an up side of ease. Perhaps this discussion will change my mind.

I"ve had the prepackaged ones and have a stash at home. They're not horrible but I don't hike long enough to justify the calories. The sizes are inconsistent too. The few times I've used them, I either ran out of food or had way too much and couldn't eat it.

I like to dehydrate individul vegs; corn, beans (black and pinto), tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc. then throw a little bit of everything in with some grains and seasonings.
      Lost in the right direction.

BirdBrain wrote:

I couldn't convince you to hike the NH section Sobo this year, could I? I could turn into a Yogi real quick. My issue is I am not a cook. I can boil water and pour into a freezer bag with the best of them though.

Ha ha, ask Chin, I wouldn't make a good yogi, it's the only thing I really got upset about on WB. :blush:

The hardest thing about dehydrating is the prep work. I like to keep things simple so I don't try to dry elaborate meals...like lasagna. All I do is wash, slice, dry, and stick it in the freezer.

The most complicated thing I've done is spaghetti sauce and that's only because I had to trace circles on my wax paper and cut them out :)

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I couldn't convince you to hike the NH section Sobo this year, could I? I could turn into a Yogi real quick. My issue is I am not a cook. I can boil water and pour into a freezer bag with the best of them though.

Ha ha, ask Chin, I wouldn't make a good yogi, it's the only thing I really got upset about on WB. :blush:

quote]

totally misread that...thought you wanted to turn ME into a Yogi.

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Making fun of Yog's. I don't mind sharing. I just question the type of person who has yogiing as a plan. I met a couple like that in the 100 mile wilderness. I shared because I had too much. I was irked when it became apparent that this was their plan: Carry less and beg from others.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Making fun of Yog's. I don't mind sharing. I just question the type of person who has yogiing as a plan. I met a couple like that in the 100 mile wilderness. I shared because I had too much. I was irked when it became apparent that this was their plan: Carry less and beg from others.

I've thought a lot about yogiing because it made me so upset. In some cases it can be a win win and both the Yogi and Yogii benefit. I can't help to think about the Yogii who would help even if they couldn't afford to and might suffer for it. That makes me angry. I don't like people being taken advantage of because they're kind hearted.
    • Re:Re: Re:The Dehydrated Food Thread

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I got the $55 basic Packitgourmet.com camp kitchen pack. Unless you have a garden it would be difficult to get a better value.

What kind of meals do you put together?

I mostly use the freeze dried and dehydrated vegetables to mix with noodles or Israeli cous cous or rice and then add some kind of meat, olive oil, powdered chicken stock. Season with salt, pepper, etc to achieve what I'm looking for.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I got the $55 basic Packitgourmet.com camp kitchen pack. Unless you have a garden it would be difficult to get a better value.

What kind of meals do you put together?

I mostly use the freeze dried and dehydrated vegetables to mix with noodles or Israeli cous cous or rice and then add some kind of meat, olive oil, powdered chicken stock. Season with salt, pepper, etc to achieve what I'm looking for.

That's basically what I do too. I haven't had good luck with meat (except for a curry ground chicken/rice casserole). I'll probably buy bulk dehydrated chicken to add to what I make at home.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

You guys are making me hungry.

coffee and an ice cream sandwich...yummmm :)

I like those Big Wheel ice cream sandwiches.

This has probably been asked before, but does Walmart or Kroger sell any dehydrated vegetables? I usually do freezer bag cooking with the typical rice, mashed potatoes, noodles and add foil packs of tuna/chicken/spam- but I miss my veggies when I hike.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:The Dehydrated Food Thread

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

This has probably been asked before, but does Walmart or Kroger sell any dehydrated vegetables? I usually do freezer bag cooking with the typical rice, mashed potatoes, noodles and add foil packs of tuna/chicken/spam- but I miss my veggies when I hike.

I haven't seen any in Walmart before
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I have done mail order with:
      http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/ They have various sizes of dehydrated products

also http://shop.honeyville.com/products/freeze-dried-food-storage/freeze-dried-vegetables.html They have a good selection of freeze dried food but mostly in #10 cans. I love their taste & never had any last long enough to spoil. I dole it out in smaller freezer bags once opened & store them in the freezer.

jimmyjam wrote:

maybe I'll just have to suck it up and buy a dehydrator or buy some from Packitgroumet.

More and more I am coming to the realization that a dehydrator is a fantastic thing to have if you have a garden or source of cheap seasonal produce. I tried the complete meals approach and got sick of it since it all turns into a uniformly flavored item after a few months of storage, one reason most commercial stuff is either Italian, chili, or spicy.

I do the individual stuff and build meals now. But more and more I start to wonder why I bother- my raw costs for items aren't much cheaper than buying it, especially in winter when I am prepping meals for the upcoming season. When you can get a harmony house variety pack for $50 the whole deal starts making less sense for me every day when I have to buy $40 worth of produce to match it.

Dehydrator is still the best source for various leathers (sauce or fruit) but I find I prefer soups for easy prep, clean up, and eating these days. It's a labor of love, and I find I love it less and less.

I do make a "green mix" Left over salad, spinach, kale, and other green stuff gets chopped and dried instead of tossed out at the end of the week. I have a two gallon bag on the counter i put it in and my wife and I can grab a dried 1/4 cup and toss it in a smoothie (her) or soup and get a cups worth of fresh greens. They sell similar stuff for $60 a tub at whole foods.

You can often find the "just veggies" brand in grocery stores. If nothing else having some veggies to round out your basic meals is a big help. REI typically carries the Harmony house pack- which is a great starter pack. Trader Joe's has some odds and ends also.

Just Bill wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

maybe I'll just have to suck it up and buy a dehydrator or buy some from Packitgroumet.

More and more I am coming to the realization that a dehydrator is a fantastic thing to have if you have a garden or source of cheap seasonal produce. I tried the complete meals approach and got sick of it since it all turns into a uniformly flavored item after a few months of storage, one reason most commercial stuff is either Italian, chili, or spicy.

I do the individual stuff and build meals now. But more and more I start to wonder why I bother- my raw costs for items aren't much cheaper than buying it, especially in winter when I am prepping meals for the upcoming season. When you can get a harmony house variety pack for $50 the whole deal starts making less sense for me every day when I have to buy $40 worth of produce to match it.

Dehydrator is still the best source for various leathers (sauce or fruit) but I find I prefer soups for easy prep, clean up, and eating these days. It's a labor of love, and I find I love it less and less.

I do make a "green mix" Left over salad, spinach, kale, and other green stuff gets chopped and dried instead of tossed out at the end of the week. I have a two gallon bag on the counter i put it in and my wife and I can grab a dried 1/4 cup and toss it in a smoothie (her) or soup and get a cups worth of fresh greens. They sell similar stuff for $60 a tub at whole foods.

You can often find the "just veggies" brand in grocery stores. If nothing else having some veggies to round out your basic meals is a big help. REI typically carries the Harmony house pack- which is a great starter pack. Trader Joe's has some odds and ends also.

I dehydrate a lot of leftovers, beans, and cheap canned vegs. The beans are pennies per serving when bought in 1 lb bags. A can of corn/green beans/ etc, are less than a dollar and has at least two servings. Whatever fresh vegs/fruit that don't get eaten during the week get dehydrated before spoiling, saving me money in the long run.

Yar- beans are a winner.

I suppose my problem is winter is stockpile time- so I end up buying lots of stuff at once and turning into a slave to the dehydrator. If I could do the odds and ends approach a bit more often things would be better.

As fer the canned veggies- I don't have much luck with anything but corn and pasta sauce- everything else tends to turn pretty gloppy for me by the time it goes from can to pack to dinner plate. Nutrition is there, but the texture and flavor compared to frozen or fresh hasn't done it for me. A steamer bag of broccoli is a buck- and I just dump it on the tray frozen and it re-hydrates with a bit of crunch and texture. The frozen food is a cheap enough option for pretty much any veggie that comes that way.

Onions, Jalepeno's, celery, squash, zucchini, mushrooms and other similiar stuff just gets chopped and dropped in- but after spending a Sunday chopping a $40 pile and then looking at two or three cups of finished product I start to feel like Rasty's unpaid prep cook and scratchin' my head.

Sorry to 46.gif on your thread.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:The Dehydrated Food Thread

Just Bill wrote:

Yar- beans are a winner.

I suppose my problem is winter is stockpile time- so I end up buying lots of stuff at once and turning into a slave to the dehydrator. If I could do the odds and ends approach a bit more often things would be better.

As fer the canned veggies- I don't have much luck with anything but corn and pasta sauce- everything else tends to turn pretty gloppy for me by the time it goes from can to pack to dinner plate. Nutrition is there, but the texture and flavor compared to frozen or fresh hasn't done it for me. A steamer bag of broccoli is a buck- and I just dump it on the tray frozen and it re-hydrates with a bit of crunch and texture. The frozen food is a cheap enough option for pretty much any veggie that comes that way.

Onions, Jalepeno's, celery, squash, zucchini, mushrooms and other similiar stuff just gets chopped and dropped in- but after spending a Sunday chopping a $40 pile and then looking at two or three cups of finished product I start to feel like Rasty's unpaid prep cook and scratchin' my head.

Sorry to 46.gif on your thread.

I'll have you know my prep cooks get paid. We even allow them to go home every other week to see family and such.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

The only thing you seem to be doing all wrong is taking a picture of yourself. Dammit woman can't you find someone to help you aim that thing? Can't wait to see your next self portrait of your wrist- be sure to wear your knit wrist bands with the porcupines copulating.

Just Bill wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

im getting dehydrated just listening to all this stuff.

Rasty made another batch of dehydrated water- you should have some in the glass in the cabinet. Just add water and you're all set.
      i still have the vial of pills he sold me last year. one pill goes a long way . you can dilute it endlessly
      its all good

Just Bill wrote:

The only thing you seem to be doing all wrong is taking a picture of yourself. Dammit woman can't you find someone to help you aim that thing? Can't wait to see your next self portrait of your wrist- be sure to wear your knit wrist bands with the porcupines copulating.

Hey, I've never knit a wristband in my life, but the copulating porcupines would be cute on a pair of socks.

TrafficJam wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Hey, I've never knit a wristband in my life, but the copulating porcupines would be cute on a pair of socks.

And you call yourself a knitter... Shame. :ohmy:

TrafficJam wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Hey, I've never knit a wristband in my life, but the copulating porcupines would be cute on [strike]a pair of[/strike] socks.
      Says you :lol:

Just Bill wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The first year I got my dehydrator I was stunned by my electric bill. Some veggies take a lot longer to dry than others. Forget onions, not worth it. Garden tomatoes on the other hand are totally worth it. I pack them on their own and use them in a variety of meals. I cut down on drying time by putting them on screens and putting them in the back of the car on a hot summer day and roll up the windows. By evening I put them in the dehydrator and they dry in about half the time. Canned black beans dry really fast, drain and chop first.