Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Dehydrated Food Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I'm putting some meals together and plan on making Rasty's Jambalaya. I notice the recipe says freeze-dried chicken, celery, and bell pepper. I can understand the chicken being freeze dried but why is it recommended that the celery and bell pepper be freeze dried?

If you can get it freeze dried then yes. If not just dry your own. Freeze Dry locks in more flavor.

Rastys Jambalaya sounds awesome.

I did find this....Mountain House Fillings
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Dehydrating the vegs for Rastys jambalaya
      onion
      leek
      celery
      bell pepper
      tomato

omitted green onion, added cilantro

I have Trader Joe's Chicken Flavor, reduced sodium, broth concentrate. Has anyone tried it?
      Images
      • image.jpg

169.95 kB, 756×600, viewed 364 times
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

I'm putting some meals together and plan on making Rasty's Jambalaya. I notice the recipe says freeze-dried chicken, celery, and bell pepper. I can understand the chicken being freeze dried but why is it recommended that the celery and bell pepper be freeze dried?

That was what I had
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I bought about $60 worth of freeze died vegetables from packit gourmet last year and I've only used about half so far. I did the cost analysis and determined that unless you have a garden you can't dry your own stuff for less money.

I'm also really lazy
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I've been looking at things on packitgourmet. Has anyone tried the cheese sauce powder?

What about the boilable bags? I have only made rice in a boilable bag but it seems like it could be useful. Maybe to speed up FBC?

The Cheddar cheese powder is made by Kraft. It is the same stuff found in mac and cheese. Always remember that 10 companies manufacture or control about 90% of the US food supply.

Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I've been looking at things on packitgourmet. Has anyone tried the cheese sauce powder?

What about the boilable bags? I have only made rice in a boilable bag but it seems like it could be useful. Maybe to speed up FBC?

The Cheddar cheese powder is made by Kraft. It is the same stuff found in mac and cheese. Always remember that 10 companies manufacture or control about 90% of the US food supply.

Do you know if Kraft also makes the cheddar cheese powder in the generic boxes of mac & cheese?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Do you know if Kraft also makes the cheddar cheese powder in the generic boxes of mac & cheese?

I don't know that. What I know is that Kraft is the only company I've seen selling the powder in wholesale quantities that are approachable for small companies like packit gourmet. The powder is available in 10# to 50# bags.

Fun fact - In the last ten years or so there was only 5 canning companies in North America for tomatoes. Think about how many brands are packed in those 5 factories.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • CoachLou wrote:

The tree is down.....all gifts are put away. The dehydrator is on the counter. ...............but Ov and I are headed to Middle Earth this afternoon. I will prep something simple and .......go for it tonite! gif.013.gif

hmmm when you get a chance this was hilarious.

thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/509747/smaug

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• Instead of hummus, I made and dehydrated black bean dip/spread. It should rehydrate with cold or hot water. I thought it would be good on tortillas or added to chili or soup to thicken it up and add some protein.

2 cans black beans
      1 cup diced tomatoes
      2 tsp chili powder
      2 tsp cumin
      1/2 tsp garlic salt
      1/2 tsp oregano
      1/4 tsp ground red pepper
      1/4 tsp paprika

habanero sauce if desired...I added a little at the time until it was hot enough for me.
      Mix together in food processor and dehydrate on 150* for 3-4 hrs.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm going to make dehydrated hummus this week. I found several recipes that say to add olive oil before dehydrating. I'm a little surprised about that. Has anyone done this?

I have dehydrated hummus before. Never bothered to add olive oil and really do not see a need to, unless someone is trying to add calories. The only thing I do is work out the portions so I know how to divide up the dried weight. Once dried, I would run the hummus through a processor to make a finer powder, and easier to rehydrate.

These days though, I just find it easier to get the Wild Garden brand 1.76oz shelf stable packs at my local World Market. packitgourmet.com/WildGardenHummusDip.html
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • I've been considering buying a dehydrator. For anything that takes 8 hrs or less, I can always prep it and run it during the school day, tending to it between classes. I got an office with plenty of space. What I don't understand is why you would cook pasta and then dehydrate it. Is it not already dehydrated? And how do beans work??? Cook them and then dry them? I know it has to make sense or else people wouldn't do it, I'm just not seeing how.
    • Tangent wrote:

I've been considering buying a dehydrator. For anything that takes 8 hrs or less, I can always prep it and run it during the school day, tending to it between classes. I got an office with plenty of space. What I don't understand is why you would cook pasta and then dehydrate it. Is it not already dehydrated? And how do beans work??? Cook them and then dry them? I know it has to make sense or else people wouldn't do it, I'm just not seeing how.

Pasta is raw semolina flour and water blended together to make a dough which is then dried. Cooking shells from raw takes about 8 minutes at a boil. If you cook it then dehydrate it then it only takes a few minutes to rehydrate.

A good alternative is to use Angel hair pasta.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Tangent wrote:

I've been considering buying a dehydrator. For anything that takes 8 hrs or less, I can always prep it and run it during the school day, tending to it between classes. I got an office with plenty of space. What I don't understand is why you would cook pasta and then dehydrate it. Is it not already dehydrated? And how do beans work??? Cook them and then dry them? I know it has to make sense or else people wouldn't do it, I'm just not seeing how.

There is lots to learn apprentice. You are in luck there is a papyrus tablet of learning included in the center of the box with small runes.

I am KIDDING! Most stuff is 2-5 hours. you are amongst friends - make sure you buy a timer.
    • Tangent wrote:

Tangent, I understand your confusion. Dry beans need to be cooked before dehydrating but canned beans are already cooked so can be dehydrated immediately. Think about the end result after adding hot or cold water to something and letting it sit. Dry pasta won't cook that way, neither will dry beans, raw meat, etc. Food that cooks quickly (5 min or less) in hot water doesn't have to be dehydrated...angel hair pasta, couscous, minute rice, etc.
    • Tangent wrote:

I have this Nesco dehydrator. I consider it a pretty good upper end entry level dehydrator. Perfect if you do not want to spend $200-300+, and if you do not want to waste money on a $30 model. amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090WOCM6/…f=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

you can also use a safety/security timer switch to cut off the dehydrator at a specific time when you are not able tend to the machine.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tuckahoe ().

• Inspired by HeartFire, I made a really tasty smoothie this morning. It had a lot of texture with the almonds, oats, and chia seeds.

1.5 cup frozen strawberries (thawed and drained)
      1.5 cup frozen pineapples (thawed and drained)
      1 banana
      1/3 cup oats
      1/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted almonds
      1/4 cup chia seeds
      1/2 cup coconut milk (I used coconutmilk beverage, not pure)
      1/2 cup chai tea concentrate (I thought it sounded like a good idea)
      1.5 tbs honey

Blend and dehydrate. This was fairly thick and easy to spread on parchment paper and a jelly roll tray.
      Images
      • image.jpg

104.78 kB, 676×600, viewed 275 times
    • I finished Rasty's jambalya. I had to order tomato powder and picked up some olive oil packets from pack it gourmet.

I only assembled one meal because I want to try it and see if anything needs to be tweaked.

I'll use sausage or pepperoni for the protein.
      Images
      • image.jpg

131.7 kB, 787×600, viewed 214 times
    • We were cookin' fools this weekend. Wife made a Shepard's pie, and I made a pot of chili, chicken enchiladas with a poblano and spinach sauce, and a pot of split pea soup...I don't think any of it will make it to the dryer though, already put quite a dent in it.
    • Coach, the apples will be good even without spice.

I don't do anything to bananas because I usually just put them in oatmeal. If you're going to eat them plain, I would do the honey mix. The ones I've done ended up really hard...maybe the honey keeps them soft and pliable?

(Definitely no pun intended)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Coach, the apples will be good even without spice.

I don't do anything to bananas because I usually just put them in oatmeal. If you're going to eat them plain, I would do the honey mix. The ones I've done ended up really hard...maybe the honey keeps them soft and pliable?

(Definitely no pun intended)

I take them up before they get to that point, try cooking them a little less.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.