Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Dehydrated Food Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Dehydrated Food Thread

From Saebar's site Pizza In A Pot
      Italian inspired couscous tossed with meat and cheese.
      Ingredients
      1⁄3 c couscous
      1⁄2 T diced sundried tomatoes
      1⁄2 T diced dried bell peppers
      1⁄2 t dried oregano
      1⁄2 t dried basil
      1⁄8 t dried garlic, powder or diced
      1⁄2 T olive oil (1 packet)
      2 oz shelf stable pepperoni slices (see notes)
      1 oz mozzarella chese (see notes)
      Notes
      Shelf stable pepperoni is often sold next to the deli meats in grocery stores but doesn't need to be kept cold until opened. Buy the pre-sliced (think for a pizza).
      For the mozzarella cheese, use 2 pieces of string cheese. It is fine to carry for a couple days, it will get soft but is edible.
      Instructions
      Depending on method used, pack the dry items into a sandwich or quart freezer bag. Pack the oil, meat and cheese with it.
      One pot method:
      Add 1 cup water to your pot and bring to a boil. Turn off the stove and add in the dry ingredients, oil and pepperoni. Stir well, put the lid on tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile dice the cheese up. Top with the cheese and let sit for a minute.
      FBC method:
      Add the pepperoni, oil and 1 cup near boiling water. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes. Dice up the cheese, fold in and let sit for a minute.
      Insulated mug method:
      In a large mug add the pepperoni, oil and 1 cup boiling water to the dry ingredients. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Dice up the cheese, fold in and let sit for a minute.

You could add other thingsyou like on it too.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

From Saebar's site Pizza In A Pot
      Italian inspired couscous tossed with meat and cheese.
      Ingredients
      1⁄3 c couscous
      1⁄2 T diced sundried tomatoes
      1⁄2 T diced dried bell peppers
      1⁄2 t dried oregano
      1⁄2 t dried basil
      1⁄8 t dried garlic, powder or diced
      1⁄2 T olive oil (1 packet)
      2 oz shelf stable pepperoni slices (see notes)
      1 oz mozzarella chese (see notes)
      Notes
      Shelf stable pepperoni is often sold next to the deli meats in grocery stores but doesn't need to be kept cold until opened. Buy the pre-sliced (think for a pizza).
      For the mozzarella cheese, use 2 pieces of string cheese. It is fine to carry for a couple days, it will get soft but is edible.
      Instructions
      Depending on method used, pack the dry items into a sandwich or quart freezer bag. Pack the oil, meat and cheese with it.
      One pot method:
      Add 1 cup water to your pot and bring to a boil. Turn off the stove and add in the dry ingredients, oil and pepperoni. Stir well, put the lid on tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile dice the cheese up. Top with the cheese and let sit for a minute.
      FBC method:
      Add the pepperoni, oil and 1 cup near boiling water. Stir well, seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes. Dice up the cheese, fold in and let sit for a minute.
      Insulated mug method:
      In a large mug add the pepperoni, oil and 1 cup boiling water to the dry ingredients. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes. Dice up the cheese, fold in and let sit for a minute.

You could add other thingsyou like on it too.

I am definitely trying this one!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

OK, so I've been following this thread and I am wondering with the cost of a dehydrator and the electricity and the time- is it worth it or should I just order some dehydrated veggies on line? What do you guys that do it think?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: The Dehydrated Food Thread

jimmyjam wrote:

OK, so I've been following this thread and I am wondering with the cost of a dehydrator and the electricity and the time- is it worth it or should I just order some dehydrated veggies on line? What do you guys that do it think?

ROI on dehydrated vegetables is negative unless you have a garden.

$50ish for the deluxe ingredient kit at packitgourmet.com is probably the best deal with a mix of freeze dried and dehydrated vegetables. I think I added another $35 of freeze dried chicken, EVO packets, peanut butter and preserve packets to balance out the pantry for the things I couldn't get at a grocery store.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

jimmyjam wrote:

I love it but I think I'm in the minority. I'm not a health nut but I don't like eating high sodium, high calorie everyday (I may have said that already, sorry if I'm repeating myself). I'm not a LASH'er so don't need it.

I don't know about electricity costs.

Time...It's mostly prep work, slicing and dicing, or opening cans. Then you have to check it occasionally and maybe stir or turn whatever you're dehydrating. If you hate to cook or would rather be doing something else with your time, it's probably not for you.

My dehydrator was about $100.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I love it but I think I'm in the minority. I'm not a health nut but I don't like eating high sodium, high calorie everyday (I may have said that already, sorry if I'm repeating myself). I'm not a LASH'er so don't need it.

Time...It's mostly prep work, slicing and dicing, or opening cans. Then you have to check it occasionally and maybe stir or turn whatever you're dehydrating. If you hate to cook or would rather be doing something else with your time, it's probably not for you.

Well I have a small garden. I like to cook, i don't like the sodium content of stuff like mountain house, and I do like to eat healthy ( although when I'm hiking I love my peanutbutter snickers) I'm on the fence.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Well I have a small garden. I like to cook, i don't like the sodium content of stuff like mountain house, and I do like to eat healthy ( although when I'm hiking I love my peanutbutter snickers) I'm on the fence.

You could try some stuff from the place Rasty mentioned, make up a few meals and see what you think.
    • Re:The Dehydrated Food Thread

Lots of good stuff here for Backpackers... Vegetables? UH Hell No!... take a moment, yes I am a huge - I SAID HUGE dehydrator fan! OK... take any frozen vegy bag and look at the calories... too few... serious I do not understand vegan superstition or flat earth vegi people... When I read how folks did the 2000 miles on a fast food diet.. well actually it makes sense after a few years.

Traffic Jam – Vegetables I suggest do not need dehydrating – could you be clearer?
      BB is right – lots of stuff prepackaged is ok $$$ is the stuff you cant get is worth it
      I don't dehydrate meat. I just add dry sausage or spam or a tuna pouch. (ouch the whole sourpuss of dehydrating)

OK I am not quoting here appropriately, that's OK You can choose to dehydrate or not - the average folk absolutely do not care!

Just Bill
      suppose my problem is winter is stockpile time- so I end up buying lots of stuff at once and turning into a slave to the dehydrator. If I could do the odds and ends approach a bit more often things would be better.

I don't know about electricity costs. (Dehydrating adds nothing significant to the bill)

Dehydrating adds nothing significant to the bill $1-2 dollars for 5 hours.

Instructions

Pepperoni is shelf stable for 6 months un-refrigerated.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Lots of good stuff here for Backpackers... Vegetables? UH Hell No!... take a moment, yes I am a huge - I SAID HUGE dehydrator fan! OK... take any frozen vegy bag and look at the calories... too few... serious I do not understand vegan superstition or flat earth vegi people... When I read how folks did the 2000 miles on a fast food diet.. well actually it makes sense after a few years.

Traffic Jam – Vegetables I suggest do not need dehydrating – could you be clearer?
      BB is right – lots of stuff prepackaged is ok $$$ is the stuff you cant get is worth it
      I don't dehydrate meat. I just add dry sausage or spam or a tuna pouch. (ouch the whole sourpuss of dehydrating)

OK I am not quoting here appropriately, that's OK You can choose to dehydrate or not - the average folk absolutely do not care!

Just Bill
      suppose my problem is winter is stockpile time- so I end up buying lots of stuff at once and turning into a slave to the dehydrator. If I could do the odds and ends approach a bit more often things would be better.

I don't know about electricity costs. (Dehydrating adds nothing significant to the bill)

Instructions

Woo, I just like veggies I guess. I add them to my carb and protein for flavor and nutrition. I dry them for easier portability and to save weight.

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Just Bill

Instructions

Woo, I just like veggies I guess. I add them to my carb and protein for flavor and nutrition. I dry them for easier portability and to save weight.
      nothing finer on a cold day then a nice corn chowder with some big chunks of tomato, more like a bisque really. Would love to know howto make this for backpackin. I've dehaydrated the corn and tomatoes...just working on the thick soupy bisque part.
    • Re:Re: Re:The Dehydrated Food Thread

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Just Bill

Instructions

nothing finer on a cold day then a nice corn chowder with some big chunks of tomato, more like a bisque really. Would love to know howto make this for backpackin. I've dehaydrated the corn and tomatoes...just working on the thick soupy bisque part.

Knorrs makes a cream sauce?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Just Bill

Instructions

Knorrs makes a cream sauce?
      Well there you go, that for my purposes is probably easiest. Thanks Rasty

I like this idea. When Sept rolls around, I 'm swimming in free stone peaches. I don't care for fruit leathers so I'm going to try the soaking in OJ and then drying. Like that pink doohickey!

TrafficJam wrote:

One of my favorite things are dried apples. I peel, core, and slice a bunch of apples, soak in OJ, season with apple pie spice and dehydrate.

If you use one of these doohickeys it goes really fast.

pipsissewa wrote:

I like this idea. When Sept rolls around, I 'm swimming in free stone peaches. I don't care for fruit leathers so I'm going to try the soaking in OJ and then drying. Like that pink doohickey!

TrafficJam wrote:

One of my favorite things are dried apples. I peel, core, and slice a bunch of apples, soak in OJ, season with apple pie spice and dehydrate.

If you use one of these doohickeys it goes really fast.

The doohickey in action.
      Images
      • image_2014-02-20.jpg

26.31 kB, 800×533, viewed 446 times
      • image_2014-02-20-2.jpg

42.23 kB, 800×533, viewed 448 times
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: The Dehydrated Food Thread

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I want a doohicky!
      I want a doohicky too...they're cool.

I thought it would be a thingamabob if it was not pink.

:) It's red...stupid camera

or my phone makes it look hot pink
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

rocksNsocks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I just use a knife. It's silver with a black handle.
      what, no moving parts, cept for the rasty. those kinds of toys are always boring, they require thought and input. I am reminded of this...kinda, no offence Oz.

There is a zen moment when you've got 600 racks of lamb to French and 12 hours to get it done. My favorite cutting tasks are butchery. There is something about looking at a couple of hundred steaks trimmed up perfectly and all within a 1/2 ounce variance while cutting by eye.
      My filet knife which I prefer over the stiffer boning knife has been my tool of choice since I was 17.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I just use a knife. It's silver with a black handle.
      what, no moving parts, cept for the rasty. those kinds of toys are always boring, they require thought and input. I am reminded of this...kinda, no offence Oz.

There is a zen moment when you've got 600 racks of lamb to French and 12 hours to get it done. My favorite cutting tasks are butchery. There is something about looking at a couple of hundred steaks trimmed up perfectly and all within a 1/2 ounce variance while cutting by eye.
      My filet knife which I prefer over the stiffer boning knife has been my tool of choice since I was 17.
      I guess I was channeling a Christmas present I got once...1 lego, not much you can do with one lego.

...oh yeah, that's a little spooky Rasty.

So I decided not to buy a dehydrator at this time, but I did buy the "Backpacker Sampler" from Harmony House. I did a quick google and found a coupon code of "AT 15" which saved me a little over $7 on my order. I can't wait to get out there and take a hike and try this stuff out.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Rasty wrote:

I don't dehydrate meat. I just add dry sausage or spam or a tuna pouch.

Hey if I am preaching to the choir ...My humble apologies - tuna retort is so damn dry already... without water its a gag.

You can dehydrate Spam and impart huge flavors simply dredge Spam when sliced (cheese slicer) with your favorite BBQ sauce and slap that momma down on the trays! it will reduce the weight 2/3 or stop at somewhat bendable - say 5 hours per can. - toss can. Slide the Spam wedgies into something Glad... Do not add smoke, Kikkoman, or Sea Salt - just flavor.

Try Guy Fieri's sauces.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TJ: Sounds good! I usually just dehydrate them by themselves, and then add the other stuff when I'm making up meals for the field. That way I can do English-style lentil soup, or Persian-style lentil soup, or dal bhaat, et cetera, without committing to it when I'm cooking them up the first time.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

TJ: Sounds good! I usually just dehydrate them by themselves, and then add the other stuff when I'm making up meals for the field. That way I can do English-style lentil soup, or Persian-style lentil soup, or dal bhaat, et cetera, without committing to it when I'm cooking them up the first time.

What's in Persian-style lentil soup?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

What's in Persian-style lentil soup?

Tomato or spinach (or both) in addition to the carrot, celery and onion. The seasonings include turmeric, paprika, parsley, dill, mint, black lime, and sumac if I can get it. If I can't get sumac or black lime, then a mix of True Lemon and True Lime powder will do in a pinch, or replace all the herbs and sumac with packaged zaatar.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.