Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just a few observations on Masking here in Ireland.

First, flight over, masks are no longer mandated. I would say that about 30% of passengers wore masks on the plane, the other passengers did not. The Aer Lingus crew was never masked.

In Ireland virtually no-one ever wears masks. We have traveled to cities, taken tours, ate out, drank in crowded pubs, the Irish seem to be done with Covid. You do see some masking at tourist sites, When I check things out, the masked are always American tourists. The other European tourists don't seem to bother either. I did see one elderly Irish shopkeeper wearing a mask. My wife says she believes two masked woman she saw in a supermarket may have been Irish. That total is it out of several thousand people observed.

The lockdown in Ireland was very severe. At one point the government did not allow people to travel beyond 3 miles from their home. Currently the Covid numbers in Ireland here are undergoing a resurgence, but for most of the public it does not seem to be of concern. People are out and about and having fun.

When I think of all the people I have seen back home driving around alone in their car wearing a mask, I wonder why the difference in outcomes?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • The Boston Pops will be doing their thing tonight for the first time since 2019 from the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Google tells me that people start finding their place to sit when the gates up at 9:00 am. Wow. I'm glad it's back and I'll be watching from the safety of my living room couch. :) This is much better, in my opinion of course, than the version in DC (and locally, the Atlanta show).
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

The Boston Pops will be doing their thing tonight for the first time since 2019 from the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Google tells me that people start finding their place to sit when the gates up at 9:00 am. Wow. I'm glad it's back and I'll be watching from the safety of my living room couch. :) This is much better, in my opinion of course, than the version in DC (and locally, the Atlanta show).
      I did not go Max, but it looked like a great display this year.

My wife and I met my son in a Boston Brewpub instead. Cheers!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The Boston Pops will be doing their thing tonight for the first time since 2019 from the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Google tells me that people start finding their place to sit when the gates up at 9:00 am. Wow. I'm glad it's back and I'll be watching from the safety of my living room couch. :) This is much better, in my opinion of course, than the version in DC (and locally, the Atlanta show).
      I did not go Max, but it looked like a great display this year.
      My wife and I met my son in a Boston Brewpub instead. Cheers!
      Once they leave the nest it is always great to meet up with your children! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Bidens turn...maybe people will start to take this seriously again.
      doubtful
      I guess it depends on the definition of "take this seriously". Shut down businesses and send people back on unemployment? Close schools? Cancel spectator sports? Close bowling alleys, golf courses and marinas?

Or just avoid crowded places / unnecessary indoor gatherings?
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Bidens turn...maybe people will start to take this seriously again.
      doubtful
      I guess it depends on the definition of "take this seriously". Shut down businesses and send people back on unemployment? Close schools? Cancel spectator sports? Close bowling alleys, golf courses and marinas?
      Or just avoid crowded places / unnecessary indoor gatherings?
      I don't think any shutdowns would be necessary, and if any, would be on a very local scale, depending on whether hospitalizations rose to an unmanageable levels.Even then, some common sense precautions like masks and social distancing would probably be enough to inhibit spread.We have tools today to deal with Covid we didn't have before, and they've been proven effective. Even Fox news yesterday spoke about Biden's being vaccinated and boosted, but considering his age, has very minor symptoms.
      mediaite.com/tv/after-biden-te…-one-thing-vaccines-work/
      its all good