Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If "no one cared" then 20,000 plus people wouldn't have filled out the paperwork over the years.

And it wouldn't be the issue that it is on social media.

And hikers wouldn't skip large portions and then lie about it in order to recieve the recognition and certificate.

Maybe people shouldn't care, but that's a whole nother subject.
      2,000 miler
    • Wife and I both received our second Pfizer shots today. I guess I will be carrying my vaccine card around with me this summer on Bartram Trail, rest of NH & ME on AT, and the Colorado Trail Collegiate Loop. At least that is the plan. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Wife and I both received our second Pfizer shots today. I guess I will be carrying my vaccine card around with me this summer on Bartram Trail, rest of NH & ME on AT, and the Colorado Trail Collegiate Loop. At least that is the plan. :)

Why?

Being vaccinated only means you are unlikely to ill from it. Your immune system recognizes it quickly.

I don't think it means you cannot contract it at all, or spread it.
      The chances of being less sick....do mean lower chance of spread. But most spreaders are asymptomatic anyway. Spread well before any symptoms develop, if any develop at all.
    • Muddywaters wrote:

Astro wrote:

Wife and I both received our second Pfizer shots today. I guess I will be carrying my vaccine card around with me this summer on Bartram Trail, rest of NH & ME on AT, and the Colorado Trail Collegiate Loop. At least that is the plan. :)
      Why?

Being vaccinated only means you are unlikely to ill from it. Your immune system recognizes it quickly.

I don't think it means you cannot contract it at all, or spread it.
      The chances of being less sick....do mean lower chance of spread. But most spreaders are asymptomatic anyway. Spread well before any symptoms develop, if any develop at all.
      While research is still ongoing, it does appear that Covid vaccinations do decrease the spread of the disease. Here is a good article published just yesterday explaining the current state of the research. You will note the data suggest that yes, transmission is reduced, but the article is full of qualifiers, which is what you expect from good science reporting (Nature is the #1 general science journal in the world). https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00450-z

And there is history to support this. Vaccinations have eradicated smallpox and almost eradicated polio (make sure you are vaccinated if you go to Pakistan or Afghanistan). If those vaccinations only prevented people from getting sick, smallpox would still be circulating and all those people who don't get vaccinated anymore would be getting smallpox. Of course Covid is different virus, but there is reason to believe that widespread vaccination will do more than keep people from getting sick.
    • Viruses are different. Many are not significantly communicable until they enter a shedding stage , at which time the host has symptoms. This virus is much more contagious, and much earlier than many. It also persists outside the host apparently. Then there's the whole mutation problem....which is why flu shots are of limited effectiveness, and need a different one every year.

Only time will tell the efficacy of these vaccinations as it applies to slowing spread. I see the word " might" used a lot......

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muddywaters ().

• Astro wrote:

Double hit today with my flaws being advantages. In meeting today I was told older people have less drastic reactions to COVID vaccines than younger people. Then saw this article about wearing glasses making you less like to get COVID. :)

iheart.com/content/2021-02-22-…campid=headline2_readmore
      I too had heard this (and I wear glasses - yeah).
      Although I thought some of the protection may also be a physical barrier, keeping aerosols out of your eye (in addition to your fingers) I think about this when I am teaching a chemistry lab and I have my mask and my splash goggles on. Maybe if I have to travel by plane I could wear my splash goggles from lab.
    • I get Pfizer shot number 1 tomorrow.

I've found the differences between the various registration websites "interesting." Without boring you with the details, I do want to point out one sigficant difference between the Cobb County and the State of Georgia sites.

In Cobb, appointments are taken on Friday at 5:00. So at 5:00 everyone over 65 (80,000 people) and the 4 or 5 jobs that are eligible all try to log on at once. You can guess what the end result is.

In the State system, you can register 24/7 at your leisure. When they have vaccine available for the upcoming week, they notify the number of people they can handle by email to log on and make an appointment.

One system is barely functionable. One system works great. Not hard to figure out which is which.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I get Pfizer shot number 1 tomorrow.

I've found the differences between the various registration websites "interesting." Without boring you with the details, I do want to point out one sigficant difference between the Cobb County and the State of Georgia sites.

In Cobb, appointments are taken on Friday at 5:00. So at 5:00 everyone over 65 (80,000 people) and the 4 or 5 jobs that are eligible all try to log on at once. You can guess what the end result is.

In the State system, you can register 24/7 at your leisure. When they have vaccine available for the upcoming week, they notify the number of people they can handle by email to log on and make an appointment.

One system is barely functionable. One system works great. Not hard to figure out which is which.
      Our University had us fill out a Google Sheet time slot. Pick the empty spot, show up at that time and one minute later you have your shot, sit around for 15 minutes and then life goes on. Then sent email to come back at same time 2 weeks later.

Only hiccup was the snow storm, so early last week they sent email telling Thursday people come on Saturday, Friday people on Sunday. Same process with no lines, show prior paperwork, shot in 1 minute, sit down for 15 minutes and off you go.

Listening to some of the horror stories from other I am grateful it was so easy for me. :)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I get Pfizer shot number 1 tomorrow.

Our University had us fill out a Google Sheet time slot. Pick the empty spot, show up at that time and one minute later you have your shot, sit around for 15 minutes and then life goes on. Then sent email to come back at same time 2 weeks later.
      Only hiccup was the snow storm, so early last week they sent email telling Thursday people come on Saturday, Friday people on Sunday. Same process with no lines, show prior paperwork, shot in 1 minute, sit down for 15 minutes and off you go.

Listening to some of the horror stories from other I am grateful it was so easy for me. :)
      I'm not going to complain (I hope) but I expect a tremendous traffic jam with delays. I'm packing a lunch. :)
      2,000 miler
    • If anyone wants to feel better about all this corona sh*t, just watch this video. This guy's podcast has seen some big names in the fields of infectious diseases, vaccines, immunology, and virology, such as Dr. Paul Offit and others. If you want to just keep feeling like sh*t, then just keep watching the mainstream media and social media -- doing that will help feed your Fear Addiction :thumbsup: ;)

• roadrunner wrote:

If anyone wants to feel better about all this corona sh*t, just watch this video. This guy's podcast has seen some big names in the fields of infectious diseases, vaccines, immunology, and virology, such as Dr. Paul Offit and others. If you want to just keep feeling like sh*t, then just keep watching the mainstream media and social media -- doing that will help feed your Fear Addiction :thumbsup: ;)

Wish the ATC would watch this.
    • Astro wrote:

roadrunner wrote:

If anyone wants to feel better about all this corona sh*t, just watch this video. This guy's podcast has seen some big names in the fields of infectious diseases, vaccines, immunology, and virology, such as Dr. Paul Offit and others. If you want to just keep feeling like sh*t, then just keep watching the mainstream media and social media -- doing that will help feed your Fear Addiction :thumbsup: ;)

Wish the ATC would watch this.
      From where I sit the current ATC leadership seems more concerned with political correctness and social justice (injustice) issues than with the trail or hikers. I could be wrong, I have been before and will be again.
    • Wanna get vaccinated ASAP but you're not old enough yet or in one of the approved specific groups?

Move to North Carolina. They just made it easy to qualify.

<snip>

"RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – North Carolina is moving to vaccinate those in Group 4 against COVID-19 beginning on March 24.

As part of Group 4, if you are a smoker (current or former) who has consumed at least 100 cigarettes in your lifetime, you too can get vaccinated, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services."

Is it just a coincidence that NC grows more tobacco than any other state?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Wanna get vaccinated ASAP but you're not old enough yet or in one of the approved specific groups?

<snip>

"RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – North Carolina is moving to vaccinate those in Group 4 against COVID-19 beginning on March 24.

As part of Group 4, if you are a smoker (current or former) who has consumed at least 100 cigarettes in your lifetime, you too can get vaccinated, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services."

I believe they were the last to outlaw smoking in grocery stores. Real shocker at the time for those visiting.
    • max.patch wrote:

Wanna get vaccinated ASAP but you're not old enough yet or in one of the approved specific groups?

<snip>

Daughter in Raleigh just got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. She does TA work and performs research with amputees. And doesn't smoke.

My wife and I are just waiting for J&J to announce employee vaccinations. Might be a while yet.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Daughter in Raleigh just got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. She does TA work and performs research with amputees. And doesn't smoke.
      My wife and I are just waiting for J&J to announce employee vaccinations. Might be a while yet.
      My daughter also lives in Raleigh! Her husband was one of the first to get the vaccine because he works as a technician in a Duke U Hospital medical testing lab.
    • Getting mine from Kroger next week. You just have to keep checking multiple times a day. I checked Kroger, Walmart, Sam's Club, aND Bon Secours four or more times a day for over a week and finally got a break today. Had a long Q & A after which when I hit the last button it told me the time I selected was no longer available. I was What?? Nooooo. Went back and picked another time ( they were down to like a handful of choices) and pecked at the keyboard as fast as I could and got my appointment.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Getting mine from Kroger next week. You just have to keep checking multiple times a day. I checked Kroger, Walmart, Sam's Club, aND Bon Secours four or more times a day for over a week and finally got a break today. Had a long Q & A after which when I hit the last button it told me the time I selected was no longer available. I was What?? Nooooo. Went back and picked another time ( they were down to like a handful of choices) and pecked at the keyboard as fast as I could and got my appointment.
      ^THIS!

Ohio lowered the age threshold to 50 and up as of 3/11. I stayed up past midnight to scour all of the possible websites for updates. Not available, not available, not available... and then Walmart showed appointments available on 3/16. Snagged a pair for Mrs. Tortoise and I first thing in the morning. And wouldn't you know... we're getting the J&J vaccine. The whole employee vaccination concept kind of fizzled when J&J didn't have as many doses available as expected after the EUA was approved.

It was frustrating to go through the registration process a number of times on the Kroger site only to get a 'no longer available' message or just a general error message.

Tired today, but happy to have the appointments.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

My daughter also lives in Raleigh! Her husband was one of the first to get the vaccine because he works as a technician in a Duke U Hospital medical testing lab.
      I'll give Duke Medical some credit for their vaccination plans. My son is currently in his last PT clinical rotation at a Duke U hospital. Initially, students were not eligible to receive the vaccine because they are expressly forbidden to work with Covid patients during clinical assignments. Then someone with a shred of common sense realized that there is no guarantee that the patient receiving hands-on care from a PT student isn't asymptomatic. So Duke then reversed course and vaccinated all of their med students.

Heading to Raleigh in May for his graduation. With my pending vaccination, I'll be licking doorknobs and kissing strangers. Mmmmmm... doorknobs.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I'll give Duke Medical some credit for their vaccination plans. My son is currently in his last PT clinical rotation at a Duke U hospital. Initially, students were not eligible to receive the vaccine because they are expressly forbidden to work with Covid patients during clinical assignments. Then someone with a shred of common sense realized that there is no guarantee that the patient receiving hands-on care from a PT student isn't asymptomatic. So Duke then reversed course and vaccinated all of their med students.
      Heading to Raleigh in May for his graduation. With my pending vaccination, I'll be licking doorknobs and kissing strangers. Mmmmmm... doorknobs.
      my daughter did PA clinicals much of last yr.....no vaccines. Worked with drs and nurses that caught it, etc. Starts job next week, I think she gets vaccine now. We had a special graduation ceremony for PA class that parents attended.....school graduation was taped with no visitors. My son graduates in may...will be pre recorded then viewed at home. A little anticlimatic
    • Got my first vaccine yesterday. Pfizer. It was no big deal, just a little stick. My arm is barely sore this morning. Now the shingles vaccine, that one made my arm hurt and I had a big red hot area at the injection site for days.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Muddywaters wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

odd man out wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I'll give Duke Medical some credit for their vaccination plans. My son is currently in his last PT clinical rotation at a Duke U hospital. Initially, students were not eligible to receive the vaccine because they are expressly forbidden to work with Covid patients during clinical assignments. Then someone with a shred of common sense realized that there is no guarantee that the patient receiving hands-on care from a PT student isn't asymptomatic. So Duke then reversed course and vaccinated all of their med students.Heading to Raleigh in May for his graduation. With my pending vaccination, I'll be licking doorknobs and kissing strangers. Mmmmmm... doorknobs.
      my daughter did PA clinicals much of last yr.....no vaccines. Worked with drs and nurses that caught it, etc. Starts job next week, I think she gets vaccine now. We had a special graduation ceremony for PA class that parents attended.....school graduation was taped with no visitors. My son graduates in may...will be pre recorded then viewed at home. A little anticlimatic
      Congratulations on your children! We replaced May graduation with a video event of the students picture when they would have walked across the stage. In Fall they offered spots for faculty to attend, but we said they should allow parents instead, even if a lottery.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Got my first vaccine yesterday. Pfizer. It was no big deal, just a little stick. My arm is barely sore this morning. Now the shingles vaccine, that one made my arm hurt and I had a big red hot area at the injection site for days.
      Thanks for the shingles shot warning. That's my next one.

• jimmyjam wrote:

Got my first vaccine yesterday. Pfizer. It was no big deal, just a little stick. My arm is barely sore this morning. Now the shingles vaccine, that one made my arm hurt and I had a big red hot area at the injection site for days.
      Eactly the same for me for both the Covid and Shingles shots.

The 2nd shot is when we're supposed to experience the most side effects. I'll find out next week. Getting side effects is supposed to be good as it means the body is reacting to the shot as it should.

I got my shot on the 2nd day the mass vaccination site was open. Took 2.5 hours from the time I got there to getting the shot. (No big deal, glad to get the shot and it was all sitting in the car -- except getting out a couple times to stretch -- and it was a nice day). I wondering how much that will improve -- their stated goal is to get people through the process in 6 minutes. I don't see how that's possible -- that was the Governor talking outta his rear and not the people actually reponsible for doing the work.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

The vaccination process was a lot like voting.

You drive to a central location,
      you wait in line for 2-3 hours,
      you finally get to do what you came there to do,
      and they give you a sticker as you leave.
      I went to Kroger and it was me and two other people to in the waiting area. I waited all of five minutes. I guess I got lucky.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference