Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

• LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I agree, I think the ATC, as well as the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference has responded to the virus in a good manner. What I'm real starting to dislike is how almost every e-mail from ATC asks for money.
      Or even worse promoting political causes that have nothing to do with taking care of the trail itself.
      Yep and that too
      Companies and entertainment and sports should stay focused on their trade, I have a hard time spending money with those opposed to me, I ditched REI a long time ago, dropped Netflix and Prime today. I don't occupy the moral high ground but Netflix has gone too far with trashy shows for even me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Was supposed to talk to the University Explorer Club tonight (outside social distanced) about hiking, but the club president canceled. Despite plexiglass, masks, and 6 foot distance in classroom, some cases have recently shown up from activities beyond the classroom. We are halfway to our goal of on ground classes until Thanksgiving break, and finish with 3 weeks online.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Was supposed to talk to the University Explorer Club tonight (outside social distanced) about hiking, but the club president canceled. Despite plexiglass, masks, and 6 foot distance in classroom, some cases have recently shown up from activities beyond the classroom. We are halfway to our goal of on ground classes until Thanksgiving break, and finish with 3 weeks online.
      Hope you all make it Astro. The online world rather sucks IMHO.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

Have you thought about your hiking plans for 2021? I am growing increasingly concerned that I will be forced to chose between my desire to take a walk, and the official guidance of the ATC and PCT.

While I understood and supported their request that long-distance hikes be terminated and postponed in 2020, I fear this stance will remain in place for some time to come. At the start of 2020 we did not fully understand the implications of this virus, we were not fully prepared to protect the vulnerable. Now everyone understands the risks involved and can make their own decisions about what is best for them. But the problem with government restrictions and the loss of freedom is that it seems a lot easier for people to give up than to get back.

I have zero faith that a vaccine will fix this thing anytime soon. The 'safe' thing for these agencies to do from a 'cover your ass' point of view is to keep their recommendations in place. Will 2021 be another lost year for the hiking community? What about 2022?

What I want to know is, what is the end game for all of this? And if you tell me it is a vaccine, I am not sure there is any end game in sight.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

Have you thought about your hiking plans for 2021? I am growing increasingly concerned that I will be forced to chose between my desire to take a walk, and the official guidance of the ATC and PCT.

While I understood and supported their request that long-distance hikes be terminated and postponed in 2020, I fear this stance will remain in place for some time to come. At the start of 2020 we did not fully understand the implications of this virus, we were not fully prepared to protect the vulnerable. Now everyone understands the risks involved and can make their own decisions about what is best for them. But the problem with government restrictions and the loss of freedom is that it seems a lot easier for people to give up than to get back.

I have zero faith that a vaccine will fix this thing anytime soon. The 'safe' thing for these agencies to do from a 'cover your ass' point of view is to keep their recommendations in place. Will 2021 be another lost year for the hiking community? What about 2022?

What I want to know is, what is the end game for all of this? And if you tell me it is a vaccine, I am not sure there is any end game in sight.
      I see no end game & it still appears to be a guessing game. My doc told me it was going to be like a severe flue when it first hit. I did work Sturgis Bike Week but in Hulitt, WY I did see people trying to social distance, Crowds didn't follow normal pattern. last info I saw 260 people had covid traced back to the media proclaimed "super spreader rally with an estimated attendance of 400K. I don't deny the virus is out there & bad. I personally believe shut downs have gone too far, especially the trails. I've heard rumors of one person on th AT getting covid,
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

The ATC recommends hiking locally which I agree is sound advice.

I can get anywhere on the AT that is in GA and back home on 1 tank of gas so that's what it's gonna have to be.

(A couple weeks ago I was planning a 2 day, 1 night hike starting at Hickory Flatt Cemetary, but then life got in the way and it didn't happen.) :(
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().