Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

If Trump gets his way we won't have to debate the pros and cons of mail in voting -- he wants to delay the election.

His tweet from this morning:

"With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???"

If this suprises you you're not paying attention.

usatoday.com/story/news/politi…e-mail-voting/5543726002/
      Being worse than 1960 is pretty bad.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I saw that noise about delaying the election. I have a pocket copy of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence (which declares war). I started re-reading it last night. EVERYONE in this nation should read it. The "talking heads" and, sadly, many of our elected officials, have no freaking clue what it says. (They should take and pass a civics test before they are allowed to run for an office or be 'on air'). Delay the election? Sorry, the constitution spells out how elections work. Amendments have been done to change some of the timing. But AMENDMENTS to our government process, NOT the whim of any elected official, I don't care who they (think they) are.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• max.patch wrote:

I think it's a damn shame that wearing a mask and absentee balloting has become a political issue.
      Yesterday Dr. Fauci recommended that we also wear eye goggles or an eye mask for more protection against the virus.

I'm sure the same people who don't understand why we need to wear a mask won't understand this either.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I can understand that increased protection lessens my chances of getting the virus, but it's not practical for me to live in a fully protective bubble. At some point we each have to decide how to live our lives while dealing with all that covid 19 brings our way. I can't stay home all day, even there it's not a sterile environment anyway. As soon as I bring in the mail, or take out the garbage, I'd have to sanitize myself head to toe. Precautions? Sure, up to a point, and everyone has that point in a different place. I recently skipped going to a niece's engagement party because I'm not willing to fly yet, that's past my comfort point. We each need to decide how best to protect ourselves and others.
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I think it's a damn shame that wearing a mask and absentee balloting has become a political issue.
      Yesterday Dr. Fauci recommended that we also wear eye goggles or an eye mask for more protection against the virus.
      I'm sure the same people who don't understand why we need to wear a mask won't understand this either.
      I guess Kareem, James Worthy, and Chris Sabo were just ahead of their time. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I've been wearing my yellow tinted wraparound shooting glasses with my mask everytime I go into a store since this whole thing began.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Yesterday Dr. Fauci recommended that we also wear eye goggles or an eye mask for more protection against the virus.I'm sure the same people who don't understand why we need to wear a mask won't understand this either.
      I've been wearing my yellow tinted wraparound shooting glasses with my mask everytime I go into a store since this whole thing began.
      Congrats, you're ahead of the curve. I gotta admit this is something I didn't think about -- but as soon as I heard it -- made perfect sense.
      2,000 miler
    • The majority of my casted ballots were via absentee ballots since I was in the military for 23 years; however, I do remember a few times (before being transferred) voting at city hall, here in Atlantic Beach, Fl. I never remembered seeing lines, like what's shown in the news. And now that I've retired and living back in AB, Fl, I still have never seen the lines (and I always vote on election day at city hall).

So, it does make me wonder how many voting stations experience these extremely long lines we're always hearing about in the news. Seems like they could make more polling stations to better handle the lines? But we never hear about how or why these lines exist, rather we just hear about, oh the humanity... I rather hear smart reporting, but forget that with today's media.

I'm not a Trump fan, but he may have a point with massive mail-in balloting, since there's been some cases in NJ and NY which seem fairly bad, especially given that they are much smaller elections.
    • So how about that Coronavirus and the Trail?

My 2020 hiking plans have gone to crap. I have no fear of getting the bug myself, but I cancelled my annual PCT section hike this year out of respect for the wishes of the PCTA. Now we are heading in to August and my hiking opportunity window is closing.

Should I now go ahead and get in a two-week hike on the PCT in California? California and the PCT still do not seem to want me. And to add to the difficulty the MA state governor now has mandated two week quarantines for people returning from most other states. I don't think my job would like me staying home for the first two weeks of September.

I do have about 50 miles left to do on the north part of the Long Trail. Vermont really does not want me either, but that might be my best option. I need to get out of here before my wife gives me any more house projects.

What to do?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

So how about that Coronavirus and the Trail?

My 2020 hiking plans have gone to crap. I have no fear of getting the bug myself, but I cancelled my annual PCT section hike this year out of respect for the wishes of the PCTA. Now we are heading in to August and my hiking opportunity window is closing.

Should I now go ahead and get in a two-week hike on the PCT in California? California and the PCT still do not seem to want me. And to add to the difficulty the MA state governor now has mandated two week quarantines for people returning from most other states. I don't think my job would like me staying home for the first two weeks of September.

I do have about 50 miles left to do on the north part of the Long Trail. Vermont really does not want me either, but that might be my best option. I need to get out of here before my wife gives me any more house projects.

What to do?
      I would say go for finishing the Long Trail. Unless a hurricane swings way inland, you should have great weather.

And to celebrate once you have completed the Long Trail, be sure to stop off at the Inn at Long Trail. :thumbup:
    • IMScotty wrote:

What to do?
      Personally, I would for reasons I listed in post #269. However, your question begs another question. What if this reported coming vaccine does not pan out and we have to wait for herd immunity to happen naturally? Like we did in the old days during past pandemics. The Spanish flu took about two years to end naturally.

How long are we prepared to wait?
    • IMScotty wrote:

What to do?
      Do the safest option and hike closest to home.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

What to do?
      Do the safest option and hike closest to home.
      That is why I recommended the Long Trail. And if anything goes wrong, you are still close to home. Hate to fly out to CA, and then have a wasted trip. Managing risk is a key thing in the current environment. :)

Hopefully next summer you can knock a big chunk out of the PCT. 8)
    • I agree with what the ATC recommends:

<snip>

Stay Local:
      • Hike close to home — ensure you do not have to stop for gas or meals along the way. This reduces opportunities to come into contact with others in towns, where the spread of COVID-19 is more likely.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• My buddy Slingshot and his girlfriend are coming up to Pocohontas SP this weekend to glamp. I'm going to go down and hangout some and trail ride with them but I'm not hauling my camper because it's less than a thirty drive for me- just too much work to camp so close for two days.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Saw a funny cartoon on a better way to kill mosquitoes....a small pile of salt, shot of clear tequila next to it, a match stick next to it, a small rock next to it....mosquito sees the salt, thinks it's sugar, eats it and gets thirsty, drinks the tequila thinking it's water and gets drunk, trips on the match stick, hits it's head on the rock and dies of covid-19.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Saw a funny cartoon on a better way to kill mosquitoes....a small pile of salt, shot of clear tequila next to it, a match stick next to it, a small rock next to it....mosquito sees the salt, thinks it's sugar, eats it and gets thirsty, drinks the tequila thinking it's water and gets drunk, trips on the match stick, hits it's head on the rock and dies of covid-19.
      And then the hospital and government agencies collect extra funding for reporting another Covid-19 death. :rolleyes:
    • Drybones wrote:

Saw a funny cartoon on a better way to kill mosquitoes....a small pile of salt, shot of clear tequila next to it, a match stick next to it, a small rock next to it....mosquito sees the salt, thinks it's sugar, eats it and gets thirsty, drinks the tequila thinking it's water and gets drunk, trips on the match stick, hits it's head on the rock and dies of covid-19.
      That plan makes more sense than injecting disinfectant.
      2,000 miler
    • I received the September email from the ATC Southern Regional Office and thot I'd cut and paste a couple of the FAQs that may be of interest regardless of location.

Is the A.T. open for hiking and camping? The Appalachian Trail is currently open for hiking and camping from Georgia to Maine. In the Southern Region (GA, NC, TN), all A.T. shelters and privies located on US Forest Service property remain closed, but dispersed camping is allowed near shelters.

I postponed my 2020 thru-hike and plan to hike in 2021. When will ATC open up A.T. Camp so I can register my hike? ATCamp, ATC's voluntary hiker registration system, will remain closed until one of the following criteria are met:
      1. All official closures on the A.T. resulting from the pandemic are removed.
      2. The rate of COVID-19 infections has remained flat for a period of two weeks and recommended/required quarantines for out-of-state visitors in all fourteen Trail states have been lifted.
      3. An effective vaccine to protect against COVID-19 is widely available.
      Until then, we thank everyone for their patience.

In contrast to many individuals on FB, I'm impressed with the wisdom and maturity that the ATC has demonstrated in response to the virus. It must have been a very difficult decision for a hiking organization to recommend that people do not hike.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

I agree, I think the ATC, as well as the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference has responded to the virus in a good manner. What I'm real starting to dislike is how almost every e-mail from ATC asks for money.
      Or even worse promoting political causes that have nothing to do with taking care of the trail itself.
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I agree, I think the ATC, as well as the New York/New Jersey Trail Conference has responded to the virus in a good manner. What I'm real starting to dislike is how almost every e-mail from ATC asks for money.
      Or even worse promoting political causes that have nothing to do with taking care of the trail itself.
      I have no Eyetalian flag in my possession, no golden horns...nada. My family has been here for 4 generations. You want to think Columbus is the starter of all that is bad in the new world........unfortunate for you. But 2 years ago the AMC removed Columbus day from their calendar and inserted ' Indigenous Peoples Day' in that slot. Really!?!?!?! 364 days left on the calendar and you take the Eyetalian heritage day from them and give it to another group of people????????? Wow, so now we have alienated someone else to make the woke folks happy.....................what a country this is turning into.

Oh, and 44 years since I've been in the Marines. The last time I shot a pistol was in boot camp, have shot a shot gun once about 20 years ago, and last month I fired a rifle with my son and wedding party for the first time since 1979!!! Never needed or wanted a weapon..................... I took my pistol class Saturday and I'm getting my permit!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have no Eyetalian flag in my possession, no golden horns...nada. My family has been here for 4 generations. You want to think Columbus is the starter of all that is bad in the new world........unfortunate for you. But 2 years ago the AMC removed Columbus day from their calendar and inserted ' Indigenous Peoples Day' in that slot. Really!?!?!?! 364 days left on the calendar and you take the Eyetalian heritage day from them and give it to another group of people????????? Wow, so now we have alienated someone else to make the woke folks happy.....................what a country this is turning into.
      Oh, and 44 years since I've been in the Marines. The last time I shot a pistol was in boot camp, have shot a shot gun once about 20 years ago, and last month I fired a rifle with my son and wedding party for the first time since 1979!!! Never needed or wanted a weapon..................... I took my pistol class Saturday and I'm getting my permit!
      Like coach Lou I haven't fired a weapon in many years. Due to my proximity to New York City I'm concerned that the city's violence could spread to my town. So, I am considering arming us.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Couch Lou, the Boy Scouts had it right, 'Be Prepared.' Useful advice in all things.

I have never owned a firearm, but I made sure I got a LTC many years ago when they were still honoring the 2nd amendment in MA, because if you ever need one you probably need it now, you don't want to hear about 'waiting periods.' Be prepared.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Couch Lou, the Boy Scouts had it right, 'Be Prepared.' Useful advice in all things.
      I have never owned a firearm, but I made sure I got a LTC many years ago when they were still honoring the 2nd amendment in MA, because if you ever need one you probably need it now, you don't want to hear about 'waiting periods.' Be prepared.
      LTC ? What does that stand for ?
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Yep and that too
      That "Hiking the AT comes from a place of privilege" email was the last one I opened from the ATC.

At least my ATC calendar still shows Columbus Day in October.

Lastly, I just received my Ohio carry permit. Sheriff Jones was very efficient in getting in in the mail.

Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones states he has seen the lawlessness in the country over the last few months directed towards police. The Sheriff has seen water dumped on police in New York, bricks and frozen water bottles thrown at police as well as officers blinded by lasers in Portland, Oregon. In addition, Police have been shot at in Chicago and all across the country.
      “I won’t tolerate it, period. You shoot at the police expect us to shoot back. I will not allow my deputies or any law enforcement officer in Butler County to take the abuse I have seen over the past several months. If you come to this county expecting a free pass to harm one of my men or women in uniform keep in mind, nothing in life is free,” states Sheriff Jones.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard