Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

• jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Guess what?
      You announcing you just became a grandpa too?
      Yep! She gave me the coffee cup below 20 years ago an! the one in the post above a couple of weeks ago.
      That is Awesome, congratulations! :thumbup:

I have a son who got married in January and another son scheduled for an August wedding. So I guess in a few years I should be joining y'all. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Since this is the CV thread this probably fits here as well as anywhere.

I disinfected my counter tops today (and some other areas as long as I doing it) with the recommended 1 teaspoon of bleach to 1 cup of water. I've always kinda wondered if that was enough bleach as it sure isn't very much. But I followed the science and proceeded as usual.

A while after I finished I happened to look down and noticed that I had obviously slopped a few drops on both my gray t-shirt and grey sweats as it bleached the color out.

I don't wonder any more.
      2,000 miler
    • Right now Maine still has a two week 'quarantine' for new arrivals to their state. The governor is getting a lot of push-back on that right now.

Massachusetts and New Hampshire have signboards at the borders requesting that visitors quarantine for two weeks, but I believe this is a request, not a requirement.

In Vermont I believe there is an official order from the Governor for out of staters to quarantine, but I have not read any stories of actual enforcement. It is just near impossible for an out-of-stater to get a hotel room in Vermont right now. Things do seem to be slowly loosening, some places in Burlington, VT have started outdoor dining. I know about the situation in Vermont best because I have been traveling up there quit a bit the last few weeks.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Checked both MATC and Whiteblaze, and it appearrs the Kennebec River Ferry started today. :thumbup:
      Using Whiteblaze as source of credible information is like a Ph.D candidate citing Wikipedia in their dissertation. :)
      Now that there's funny. I don't care who you are.

And on a totally unrelated note, my daughter needed to find a new apartment since both of her roommates were moving on. She found a place in downtown Raleigh, only a half block from the state capitol. In April and May, it was the "Re-Open NC" rallies - lots of yelling, chanting and car horns. Now it's tear gas, arson smoke and broken glass. She's getting quite a life lesson. Makes her pine for standing on the summit of Max Patch in a snowstorm.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Pinkham Notch NH.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Checked both MATC and Whiteblaze, and it appearrs the Kennebec River Ferry started today. :thumbup:
      Using Whiteblaze as source of credible information is like a Ph.D candidate citing Wikipedia in their dissertation. :)
      I felt the MATC was a little more credible. And no I did NOT use Wikimedia in my dissertation 10 years ago, but I guess I didn't realize I was going to have to defend my post to the Cafe Committe for approval. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

StalkingTortoise wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Now that there's funny. I don't care who you are.
      And on a totally unrelated note, my daughter needed to find a new apartment since both of her roommates were moving on. She found a place in downtown Raleigh, only a half block from the state capitol. In April and May, it was the "Re-Open NC" rallies - lots of yelling, chanting and car horns. Now it's tear gas, arson smoke and broken glass. She's getting quite a life lesson. Makes her pine for standing on the summit of Max Patch in a snowstorm.
      I hope she stays safe from harm
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • New

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

I felt the MATC was a little more credible. And no I did NOT use Wikimedia in my dissertation 10 years ago, but I guess I didn't realize I was going to have to defend my post to the Cafe Committe for approval. :D
      We have a Cafe Committee? Oh dear. Fortunately mine was done in 1986, long before I invented the internet. I did have someone plegerize one of my papers once. We got a paper to review from a group in Italy. It was not well written. You could tell their English was weak. But the second paragraph of the introduction was noticably better (and familiar). It was a paragraph from my paper published the previous year. Obviously we didn't give them a good review.