Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dmax wrote:

We had a week long trip planned for Roan Mountain campground the first week in April. Looks like that will be cancelled.

My wife is a nurse at a nursing home. They now have two rooms converted to containment rooms so the hospital can send infected patients there. .. Why?? The elderly are the most likely to get it. So why send it to a nursing home? Makes no sence to me. Five managers there this week turned in their notice. Which started a discussion last night about older health care workers quitting, to stay healthy. We figure it's probably happening across the nation. I bet those positions are going to be really hard to fill. So, the nurses left on the job are gonna get burned out fast trying to cover all the shifts.

I've seen less hikers here in town, Erwin. I only saw two in town on Sunday....
      DMax,

This is terrifying.

Look what happened at the assisted care facility in Washington. So many of those patients were wiped out, and the staff sickened. It sound sound s like the stupidest idea ever. It is hard to blame the older health care workers for getting out, no one wants to die on the job. We are just another week or two awAy from a huge crisis in the health care industry.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The ATC finally comes out and recommends that thru and section hikes be postponed.

appalachiantrail.org/home/comm…9tU3jMyycHi7u7we43K52nDxU
      Wow, I obvioulsly hope things turn in the next few months.
      If not hopefuly MLB will resume by July. Perhaps cheaper tickets for those other 16 ballparks I still need to go to. And then finish AT in 2021.
      Is The Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati on the list? 25 minutes from my new place...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The ATC finally comes out and recommends that thru and section hikes be postponed.

Wow, I obvioulsly hope things turn in the next few months.If not hopefuly MLB will resume by July. Perhaps cheaper tickets for those other 16 ballparks I still need to go to. And then finish AT in 2021.
      Is The Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati on the list? 25 minutes from my new place...
      Yes it is, hopefuly they start playing again soon. Last word was at least Mid-May (if not later).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Wow, I obvioulsly hope things turn in the next few months.If not hopefuly MLB will resume by July. Perhaps cheaper tickets for those other 16 ballparks I still need to go to. And then finish AT in 2021.
      Yes it is, hopefuly they start playing again soon. Last word was at least Mid-May (if not later).
      Look me up when you're ready. I need an excuse to catch a game. Assuming I get back to Cincinnati before then. :rolleyes:

At least I remembered to turn down the thermostat and put the hot water heater on 'vacation' mode before I left town.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not a conspiracy theorist and I have NO doubts that the local and federal governments are doing the right things in response to the pandemic.

However, I can’t help but think that it’s this type of situation that will eventually cause food shortages, rioting, chaos, martial law, and an end to society as we know it. (I read too much post-apocalyptic fiction). :)

People are using the pandemic as a reason to suggest stricter rules on hiking the AT and I’ve seen haters on FB, suggesting that people who choose to travel for pleasure should be punished. I’m concerned about this becoming a slippery slope. We will get too used to being told what to do, where to go, etc.

At this time, we are no longer a democratic nation and my concern is the potential impact on personal liberties in a situation like this. Being told to stay at home, empty grocery store shelves , businesses being forcibly closed...it feels like how I imagined living in the Soviet Union when it was communist.

I don’t think it’s going to happen this time, but a couple of these pandemics...
      Lost in the right direction.
    • People are too quick to trade in their hard-won freedoms for 'safety.' That is how governments regain power over their citizens over time. I share your fears.

That said, in this case I hope that people follow the guidelines because it is the ethical thing to do.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Not normally into conspiracy theories myself, but I believe most of the media is taking great pleasure in destroying the stock market. And the rest of the media doesn't mind having a hot story driving their ratings.
    • IMScotty wrote:

People are too quick to trade in their hard-won freedoms for 'safety.' That is how governments regain power over their citizens over time. I share your fears.

That said, in this case I hope that people follow the guidelines because it is the ethical thing to do.
      I totally agree but feel that some people are accepting things that may be wrong because they believe it’s “the ethical thing to do”. For instance, someone tested positive for Covid-19 but refused to self quarantine so he was forced. cnn.com/2020/03/17/us/kentucky…ronavirus-trnd/index.html

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, I’m only saying that these situations cause us to accept things that we might not otherwise, and once we do that, we start considering other losses of human rights as acceptable...the slippery slope.
    • So what is everyone doing in their downtime? I had a long stretch at work and now have 5 days off so staying at home is just beginning for me. Today I started a sewing project, baked some bread, did some laundry, tended to my ferments, and...that’s all I can remember. I did leave the house to get gas and make a coffee run.
    • My daughter went to Miami last week and is currently staying with me. This morning, I read that the health dept wants anyone who traveled for “spring break” to call them. NO WAY! There’s absolutely no reason for them to collect personal information on people who are asymptomatic, just because they travelled. That is too invasive as far as I’m concerned.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

My daughter went to Miami last week and is currently staying with me. This morning, I read that the health dept wants anyone who traveled for “spring break” to call them. NO WAY! There’s absolutely no reason for them to collect personal information on people who are asymptomatic, just because they travelled. That is too invasive as far as I’m concerned.
      Also probably not the most valuabl thing those people could be using their time on.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Working very hard this week trying to transition five courses (four with labs) online.
      Same here, creating online assignments, challengs of international students and time zones. Need to create more audio for my powerpoints, but my wife unfortunately shared her cold with me, so I have to wait for my voice to return. That cold also sunk my plans for a two day hike on Ozark Highland Trail this weekend, but I guess it will allow me to get further along with the online transition.

IMScotty I really feel for you and OMO on how you have to perfom labs in an online environment.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

So what is everyone doing in their downtime? I had a long stretch at work and now have 5 days off so staying at home is just beginning for me. Today I started a sewing project, baked some bread, did some laundry, tended to my ferments, and...that’s all I can remember. I did leave the house to get gas and make a coffee run.
      I found out at work today that the company I work for is considered "essential" because of the medivac and organ transfer flights that we do. I got a letter from the company saying that I'm an essential employee, so I'm not expecting to have an extra down time. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, especially considering that my wife is out of work until the local schools reopen. I'd like to be able to spend more time with her but I like getting my usual pay check too.
    • Astro wrote:

Not normally into conspiracy theories myself, but I believe most of the media is taking great pleasure in destroying the stock market. And the rest of the media doesn't mind having a hot story driving their ratings.
      I'm restricting myself to only watch the news once each day. Tired of the hype and hysteria. Yes I'm staying away from crowds, but I usually do that anyway. I just never have liked crowds. I'm one that likes small gatherings. Sure this virus is very contagious, but let's not be a bunch of crazy paranoid horderers. Gun and ammo sales in my area are thru the roof, gotta defend the TP from the zombies geeeeezzzzzzzz.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

Assuming the Coronavirus carries into April, please note the Insp channel is having a James Arness April event. Gunsmoke is classic and How the West Was Won is my personal favorite TV miniseries. :thumbup:

insp.com/affiliates/the-james-arness-april-event/
      Channel 260 on Comcast -- don't think I would have stumbled across that by accident.

When I was a kid, Gunsmoke was my favorite show (Paladin which came on before it was my brothers favorite). And as far as HTWWW goes -- I'll be sure to watch that. Who can forget Laura Macahan? :)

edit to add: Paladin was the character. The show was "Have Gun - Will Travel".
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Working very hard this week trying to transition five courses (four with labs) online.
      Same here, creating online assignments, challengs of international students and time zones. Need to create more audio for my powerpoints, but my wife unfortunately shared her cold with me, so I have to wait for my voice to return. That cold also sunk my plans for a two day hike on Ozark Highland Trail this weekend, but I guess it will allow me to get further along with the online transition.
      IMScotty I really feel for you and OMO on how you have to perfom labs in an online environment.
      this week students were to analyze the fatty acid composition of butter and olive oil. I just gave them the data and had them do the calculations. I did point out they could do the experiment in their kitchen using stuff you could buy at the grocery, hardware, and liquor stores. But there is a good chance they might kill themselves so o don't give them the instructions.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Assuming the Coronavirus carries into April, please note the Insp channel is having a James Arness April event. Gunsmoke is classic and How the West Was Won is my personal favorite TV miniseries. :thumbup:

insp.com/affiliates/the-james-arness-april-event/
      Channel 260 on Comcast -- don't think I would have stumbled across that by accident.
      When I was a kid, Gunsmoke was my favorite show (Paladin which came on before it was my brothers favorite). And as far as HTWWW goes -- I'll be sure to watch that. Who can forget Laura Macahan? :)

edit to add: Paladin was the character. The show was "Have Gun - Will Travel".
      I love the old spaghetti westerns and old westerns. Got three channels of them here.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I just saw something which I found depressing in terms of people knowing what to do to help control this virus.

First let me say that I think day hiking is a great way to get exercise...but...

Mountain Crossings is at Neels Gap. 1/3 mile up the highway is the parking lot for Blood Mountain.

Someone shot a video today on my N GA hiking Fb page. If I could post it here I would.

The parking lot at Mountain Crossings was full. Can't park there to hike; only to shop in the store. It had to be packed inside.

The parking lot for Blood Mountain was full.

There were LOTS of cars parked on the side of road from north of the Blood Mountain parking lot all the way down to Mountain Crossing. I'm guessing there was a MINIMUM of 250 cars at those 3 locations. Not exaggerating.

No social distancing on Blood Mountain today. :(
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

I just saw something which I found depressing in terms of people knowing what to do to help control this virus.

First let me say that I think day hiking is a great way to get exercise...but...

Mountain Crossings is at Neels Gap. 1/3 mile up the highway is the parking lot for Blood Mountain.

Someone shot a video today on my N GA hiking Fb page. If I could post it here I would.

The parking lot at Mountain Crossings was full. Can't park there to hike; only to shop in the store. It had to be packed inside.

There were LOTS of cars parked on the side of road from north of the Blood Mountain parking lot all the way down to Mountain Crossing. I'm guessing there was a MINIMUM of 250 cars at those 3 locations. Not exaggerating.

I heard the same thing happened today in the SNP at Old Rag and other popular spots. There are 500 miles of trails in the SNP I'll be hiking one of the other ones next week.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

I just saw something which I found depressing in terms of people knowing what to do to help control this virus.

facebook.com/amy.a.harper.77/videos/3376643099017807/?t=8
    • I drive about 40 minutes to LBJ National Grasslands, north of Decatur TX. Well, it's a small PIECE of the grasslands I hit. The two camping areas I drive by, both closed. There was just one truck at a place I pulled off and parked by. I wanted to go to the south, but the FS had a NEW gate and closed it off about a mile before where I usually park. No matter, I have the orienteering maps to this section and know every trail and animal track. Including areas with no trails. Anyway, me and the dog take off on our first 4 mile hike. We see no one. Which isn't surprising but also is as there are a lot of equestrians out there most weekends. When we get back to the truck an hour later, there are cars circling around the area. One family had parked behind us and were getting out. They asked about trails and hiking in the area (From a safe distance), so I gave them directions to the three major trails they were near. Me and the dog sat and ate and took off again. More cars circling on the roads as we got near the roads. We did pass some trail riders on our after-lunch hike. When we were driving back out, there were cars parking along the closed gates at the camping area. I'm wondering what a ranger would do if he happened by the camp area and found people using it. I DID see a FS truck, but he was driving as I was hiking.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I heard the same thing happened today in the SNP at Old Rag and other popular spots. There are 500 miles of trails in the SNP I'll be hiking one of the other ones next week.
      SNP website -- On Saturday they posted that they were concerned that Saturday's visitation patterns were in violation of CDC recommendations re social distancing. On Sunday they closed Old Rag Mountain and Whiteoak Canyon trails.

<snip>

PARK UPDATE March 22, 2020
      The Old Rag Mountain and Whiteoak Canyon trails, the boundary access roads, Nethers Road and Weakley Hollow Road, are closed by authority of the Madison County Sheriff's Office. Only local residents will be able to access these roads. Please stay away from this area at this time. Skyline Drive and other park trails are open. If you do choose to visit Shenandoah National Park, please keep CDC social distancing recommendations in mind.

PARK UPDATE March 21, 2020
      The health and safety of our visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners at Shenandoah is our number one priority. The CDC guidance for this pandemic includes social distancing. We are concerned that Saturday’s visitation patterns were in violation of CDC recommendations.

If you are coming to the Park, please choose to visit areas that are not crowded to allow for adequate social distancing. This would include NOT hiking at Old Rag, Whiteoak Canyon, Dark Hollow Falls and other high-use trails. The Old Rag and Berry Hollow area became so congested on Saturday that local authorities had to close the road. Use this opportunity to explore different areas of the Park. Download our app and visit our website to plan hikes to lesser known areas. If you encounter a crowded trailhead, go elsewhere. Many trailheads have panels with hike directions and maps. Snap a photo of it so you have it with you.
      2,000 miler
    • Just got this email from the ATC...

===

edit to add: it's also on the website:

appalachiantrail.org/home/comm…K3STEWv87DIsxbC8uZYYtgESI

===

In these unprecedented times, I am making an unprecedented request: please stay away from the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). Whether your hike is for a couple of hours or a couple of days, staying away from the Trail minimizes the spread or contraction of COVID-19.

In a time when social distancing is necessary to minimize the spread and contraction of a dangerous virus, many have escaped to nature seeking isolation and unpopulated spaces. On the A.T., however, what they’ve found are trailhead parking lots exceeding their maximum capacities, shelters full of overnight hikers, day hikers using picnic tables and privies, and group trips continuing as planned. Popular spots along the Trail like Blood Mountain in Georgia, the McAfee Knob area in Virginia, and Annapolis Rocks in Maryland have seen day use reach record-breaking levels. Cars line the highways leading to popular day-hiking spots on the Trail. Hiking the A.T. has become, in other words, the opposite of social distancing.

These same crowds accessing the A.T. may not know how a simple half-day hike can spread COVID-19. While hiking, they may have eaten lunch at a picnic table, taken a break in a shelter, used a privy, or shared a map or food with someone unknowingly infected with COVID-19 and carried this highly contagious virus back to their communities at the end of the day. They may not have realized that ATC staff and Trail volunteers have been recalled from the A.T. and cannot maintain the footpath, trailheads, shelters and privies that may be heavily (or permanently) impacted by increased visitor use. And, they may not be aware of the rural communities adjacent to the Trail that may not have the healthcare resources to help a sick hiker or volunteer or manage a COVID-19 outbreak should a hiker transport the virus in from the Trail.

Many day hikers see the outdoors as an escape from the stresses of these difficult times. But with crowding from day hikers reaching unmanageable levels and the lack of any staff or volunteers to manage this traffic, it is necessary that all hikers avoid accessing the Trail. The A.T. is not a separate reality from the communities in which hikers live – so, until the risk of spreading COVID-19 has reduced significantly, hiking on a heavily-trafficked trail like the A.T. potentially increases rather than reduces harm.

The ATC does not want to do too little, too late. We cannot close the Trail. We cannot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to please stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice.

There is an unfortunate truth about this virus: unless everyone is safe, no one is safe. So, take a walk around the block. Spend time with your loved ones. And, please, stay home.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Same issue here. Everyone stayed home in Dallas county. Then over the weekend, all went walking on the "Katy Trail" and over by White Rock lake. Photo's of people trying to jog, versus run, cycle....all about 1.5 feet from each other.
      There was also a plea by the Dallas County Judge (sort of runs stuff) for nursing homes. He praised them first. Then said "If you call 911, when the firemen and especially the EMT's arrive, do NOT tell them they have to wait while you take their temperature and make them use hand sanitizer! They are their because you called them to save a life". I could almost hear his mind going "why am I even having to explain this one...."
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

GSMNP has closed.
      I do see from FB posts that there is a belief among certain hikers still on the trail that they can 'hike thru' GSMNP, even now.

There are some selfish thrus still on the trail rolling into small towns, with high elderly populations that have little in the way of medical services, to resupply.

It sucks to postpone or give up on your dream, but if you haven't gotten off the trail by now you are probably a pretty selfish POS in my opinion.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • My sister lives in Siena, Italy. There were young foreign tourists frolicking in the town square, laughing at the residents who were under quarantine in the homes. The local police had to break up the gathering with sobering facts on the number of dead from the virus.

I'm all for public shaming for anyone who understood that they had a high probability of carrying the virus but didn't heed the warning to self-quarantine. Maybe even public stoning...

• Before my body started breaking down once I hit NH, I thought I would finish my section hike of the AT a few years ago. And then 2020 was going to be my year to do a thru hike.
      Well obviously it didn't work out that way. But if it had it would've been disappointing to have to get off, but I would like to think I would be mature enough to see the big picture.
    • Astro wrote:

Not normally into conspiracy theories myself, but I believe most of the media is taking great pleasure in destroying the stock market. And the rest of the media doesn't mind having a hot story driving their ratings.
      Hot stories always drive ratings - whether it's the stock market soaring or crashing. And, unfortunately, what Brit Royal has a tiff with what other Brit Royal. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind, journalists are people who have retirement plans too, and guess what comprises a greater or lesser share of their retirement funds? As such I doubt they take any personal pleasure at all in the decline (and I'm quite sure they do not "destroy" it themselves, as your wording implies). Every person with stock funds - firefighter, teacher, nurse, CEO, accountant, salespersons, and spouses of such with their own IRAs - benefits from a healthy economy. Even if they're a net buyer of stocks, and therefore would prefer lower prices to high, a weak economy hurts hiring, benefits, and wages. So you still would not want a "destroyed stock market" in order to buy stocks cheap. The effect on your job or that of your loved one is too negative. [And besides, cheap doesn't even imply underpriced - cheap is usually cheap for a good reason.]
    • LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

My sister lives in Siena, Italy. There were young foreign tourists frolicking in the town square, laughing at the residents who were under quarantine in the homes..........................
      What we really need from the medical community is a cure for "stupid"
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Received the following from the AMC. Hope the May 4th date is good and doesn't get pushed out past July 4th.

AMC Lodging
      All operations (huts, lodges, camps, cabins, programs, etc.) are closed and all other AMC buildings are closed to the public through May 4, 2020. Staff presence is limited to 24-hour security detail. Updates to this plan will be communicated at least weekly.