Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just a few observations on Masking here in Ireland.

First, flight over, masks are no longer mandated. I would say that about 30% of passengers wore masks on the plane, the other passengers did not. The Aer Lingus crew was never masked.

In Ireland virtually no-one ever wears masks. We have traveled to cities, taken tours, ate out, drank in crowded pubs, the Irish seem to be done with Covid. You do see some masking at tourist sites, When I check things out, the masked are always American tourists. The other European tourists don't seem to bother either. I did see one elderly Irish shopkeeper wearing a mask. My wife says she believes two masked woman she saw in a supermarket may have been Irish. That total is it out of several thousand people observed.

The lockdown in Ireland was very severe. At one point the government did not allow people to travel beyond 3 miles from their home. Currently the Covid numbers in Ireland here are undergoing a resurgence, but for most of the public it does not seem to be of concern. People are out and about and having fun.

When I think of all the people I have seen back home driving around alone in their car wearing a mask, I wonder why the difference in outcomes?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • The Boston Pops will be doing their thing tonight for the first time since 2019 from the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Google tells me that people start finding their place to sit when the gates up at 9:00 am. Wow. I'm glad it's back and I'll be watching from the safety of my living room couch. :) This is much better, in my opinion of course, than the version in DC (and locally, the Atlanta show).
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

The Boston Pops will be doing their thing tonight for the first time since 2019 from the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Google tells me that people start finding their place to sit when the gates up at 9:00 am. Wow. I'm glad it's back and I'll be watching from the safety of my living room couch. :) This is much better, in my opinion of course, than the version in DC (and locally, the Atlanta show).
      I did not go Max, but it looked like a great display this year.

My wife and I met my son in a Boston Brewpub instead. Cheers!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The Boston Pops will be doing their thing tonight for the first time since 2019 from the Esplanade on the banks of the Charles River. Google tells me that people start finding their place to sit when the gates up at 9:00 am. Wow. I'm glad it's back and I'll be watching from the safety of my living room couch. :) This is much better, in my opinion of course, than the version in DC (and locally, the Atlanta show).
      I did not go Max, but it looked like a great display this year.
      My wife and I met my son in a Boston Brewpub instead. Cheers!
      Once they leave the nest it is always great to meet up with your children! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Bidens turn...maybe people will start to take this seriously again.
      doubtful
      I guess it depends on the definition of "take this seriously". Shut down businesses and send people back on unemployment? Close schools? Cancel spectator sports? Close bowling alleys, golf courses and marinas?

Or just avoid crowded places / unnecessary indoor gatherings?
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Bidens turn...maybe people will start to take this seriously again.
      doubtful
      I guess it depends on the definition of "take this seriously". Shut down businesses and send people back on unemployment? Close schools? Cancel spectator sports? Close bowling alleys, golf courses and marinas?
      Or just avoid crowded places / unnecessary indoor gatherings?
      I don't think any shutdowns would be necessary, and if any, would be on a very local scale, depending on whether hospitalizations rose to an unmanageable levels.Even then, some common sense precautions like masks and social distancing would probably be enough to inhibit spread.We have tools today to deal with Covid we didn't have before, and they've been proven effective. Even Fox news yesterday spoke about Biden's being vaccinated and boosted, but considering his age, has very minor symptoms.
      mediaite.com/tv/after-biden-te…-one-thing-vaccines-work/
      its all good
    • I've been vaxed and got the first booster. I didn't get the 2nd booster as I was waiting for them to update the booster to target the latest variants.

It looks like that's about to happen. The FDA approved the updated booster today and the CDC votes tomorrow.

Will need to decide which version to get. I'm gotten Pfizer thus far; the Pfizer booster is 30 micrograms and authorized for 12 and older, the Moderna version is 50 micrograms and authorized for 18 and older. I assume we will get guidance if we can mix and match.

cnn.com/2022/08/31/health/fda-…ter-authorized/index.html
      2,000 miler
    • And I'm not getting any of them Max :)

But I am interested in observing people's response to the pandemic and what it says about where we are. I always do a count when I fly of masked passengers because I figure that is a reasonably standardized 'high risk' environment where social distancing is impossible.

Yesterday I flew Las Vegas to Boston with a connection in Cincinnati. The leg from Las Vegas had the fewest number of mask wearers I have seen, something less than 10%. Maybe that says something about the nature of people people who go to Las Vegas? Then on the Cincinnati leg the mask wearing was fairly high, around 33%. Maybe that says something about conservative midwesterners? I don't know, but I find it interesting.

BTW, I have seen very few masked flight attendants since the mandates dropped. It must be very difficult to do that job masked. I can tell you teaching was.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

I've been vaxed and got the first booster. I didn't get the 2nd booster as I was waiting for them to update the booster to target the latest variants.

It looks like that's about to happen. The FDA approved the updated booster today and the CDC votes tomorrow.

Will need to decide which version to get. I'm gotten Pfizer thus far; the Pfizer booster is 30 micrograms and authorized for 12 and older, the Moderna version is 50 micrograms and authorized for 18 and older. I assume we will get guidance if we can mix and match.

cnn.com/2022/08/31/health/fda-…ter-authorized/index.html
      I considered waiting for the updated shot, but we took an overseas River Cruise in July and didn't want to risk having to cancel (and maybe getting my money back if the Travel Insurance approved???) due to Covid.
    • Vax plus both boosters and I guess waiting for the new one when our university distributes it.

But on the other hand understand those that don't. It will be years before we know all of the unintended side effects. I supported my son's not until two were basically forced by their employer (non vaxed if you miss any work due to COVID you must use vacation days) and third so he could get into Japan.
    • One thing I've noticed about masks (and I wear a N95 anytime I'm inside a business) and hand washing and not touching your eyes. (This is obviously anecdotal and not scientific.)

I get a cold every year without fail.

The last time I caught a cold was the fall of 2019.
      2,000 miler
    • I never got the booster. I had Covid in December 2020, wasn't too bad, got vaxxed in July 2021 and didn't qualify for a booster until Omnicron had already made the rounds, so I decided I didn't really need one. I have a strong immune system, I've never gotten a flu shot, and rarely get sick. I'm glad the new booster is more targeted to the newer variants, but I have no intention of getting it.
      its all good
    • Twice vaxed and twice boosted. I had a childhood illness that damaged my lungs so I don't mess around with things that could cause more lung damage.
      My wife thought she had a sinus infection about 3 weeks back. She is asthmatic and allergic so sinus infections are something she often tries to treat and knows a lot about it. NOPE! Tested positive. That was a Thursday. we tried to isolate but had been sitting 15 feet apart (as we are right now) for a part of the day. My Friday was fine, I mowed, cleaned up, ran to some stores, keeping distance, and masked up. Saturday was mostly fine. I upgraded our IPHONE's from 7 to 13. But around 5 PM I had a sore neck? What? I'd not been to the gym since her positive test. I took some Tylenol. Had dinner and by 8 PM was channel flipping between the Dallas Cowboys preseason and the Texas Rangers when WHAM....I felt flushed. We'd gotten the thermometer and OX meter laying on the table so I took them. Temp was 99.5 and rising and OX was down to 94 (Doc told wife it it drops to 93 and stays down, proceed to Emergency Room). How could temp be up with Tylenol? I got a glass of water and sat down. Next commercial break, I realized I felt fine. Temp was then 98.3? Ox was back to 97. As I was brushing my teeth and about to take a shower for bed...WHAM! Sinus went 100 percent full. Blew out clear mucus. Did a sinus rinse, took some OTC cough med as I was getting a dry cough, 2 Tylenol PM and went to bed. Sunday 8 AM wife informs me I have an hour and 20 minutes before I need to be at the Doc-in-a-box for a test. I realize I have GAS big time, but get up, shower, breakfast and out there. As I'm telling the nurse all these strange symptoms she's laughing and tells me "I don't even have to test you. All those are these strange come-and-go symptoms of COVID". Yes, negative for flu and positive for Covid. The first week was just soreness and some more strange symptoms and the dang dry cough! Doc gave us both Provaxid which did seem to help. I had to quit my Lipitor for 24 hours before I could start it. The second week the biggest PIA was a sinus headache. I'd wake up with it and go to sleep with it. Alternating the two pain meds seemed to help cut it down, but 6 days of that was a trial. I'm now at 3 weeks and still get some headaches and sometimes the dry cough. I quit using the prescription cough med and just went with OTC.
      It's a strange strange bug. It affects every system in strange ways.

A neighbor is a technition in lots of hospitals and so was Vaxed early and also has had it a few times. I mean the CDC was calling him weekly for a time to track his symptoms. The last go around he causally mentioned that his HANDS...yep, palms of his hands were sensitive. Yep! One of the very rare symptoms that showed up one day and vanished the next.

I think this will be like our seasonal flu, also a virus. Docs can treat the symptoms and a shot could help with the NEXT morph of the virus but the virus is going to be with us for a long time. And we can hope that the vax and boosters, just keep most of us out of the hospitals.

And we have friends who have done nothing and have not gotten it. But we've also had friends get it and are now deceased.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

The post was edited 3 times, last by rhjanes ().

• odd man out wrote:

I considered waiting for the updated shot, but we took an overseas River Cruise in July and didn't want to risk having to cancel (and maybe getting my money back if the Travel Insurance approved???) due to Covid.
      Did you like it? Supposed to be a totally different experience from the "Love Boat" type ocean cruises. At least thats what the youtube video I saw a few months ago said.

I just read an article yesterday that becasuse of the drought in Europe some of the River Cruises on the Rhine and Danube are now bus rides as the water level is too low.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Did you like it? Supposed to be a totally different experience from the "Love Boat" type ocean cruises. At least thats what the youtube video I saw a few months ago said.
      I just read an article yesterday that becasuse of the drought in Europe some of the River Cruises on the Rhine and Danube are now bus rides as the water level is too low.
      cruise was great. Different from ocean cruise. Ship is small and simple. Only public spaces are dining room, large lounge, sun deck. Not much entertainment. Focus was on shore excursions, one included at each destination. Being able to walk off the ship into the city center was really nice.

Fortunately, our itinerary was not over the shallow part of the river, except for our starting port, so we started at the second port and got to the first port by bus tour - not a big deal. Trips covering the whole river were more impacted.
    • I had something in March 2020. Whatever I had was not as bad as something I had in a previous year when I was winded after climbing into a top bunk, and had to rest and go slow walking up a small hill. My guess is I had pneumonia and then COVID. I doubt COVID would kill me, even without the vaccine and boosters I had. I wear a mask out of courtesy for others, not for my own safety.
    • I hated my only 'Carnival Cruise' that hopped from island to island. Like being locked up in a floating shopping mall that only let you out for a few hours once a day if you were lucky. You finally get someplace interesting, and you have to run back to the ship as soon as you get there.

I might be willing to try a European river cruise, or a Mississippi paddle boat.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

I have no desire to be stuck on a cruise ship with thousands of strangers.

IMScotty wrote:

I hated my only 'Carnival Cruise' that hopped from island to island. Like being locked up in a floating shopping mall that only let you out for a few hours once a day if you were lucky. You finally get someplace interesting, and you have to run back to the ship as soon as you get there.
      Those were some advantages of the river cruise. Our ship held less than 200 passengers, zero issues with sea sickness, the destinations were interesting and authentic (Prague - 3 day extension, Budapest, Vienna - 2 days, Salzburg, Regensberg).
    • odd man out wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have no desire to be stuck on a cruise ship with thousands of strangers.

IMScotty wrote:

I hated my only 'Carnival Cruise' that hopped from island to island. Like being locked up in a floating shopping mall that only let you out for a few hours once a day if you were lucky. You finally get someplace interesting, and you have to run back to the ship as soon as you get there.
      Those were some advantages of the river cruise. Our ship held less than 200 passengers, zero issues with sea sickness, the destinations were interesting and authentic (Prague - 3 day extension, Budapest, Vienna - 2 days, Salzburg, Regensberg).
      I have been to to some of those places, but is was via a minivan with 4 children 7 and under instead of a river cruise. ;)
    • IMScotty wrote:

I might be willing to try a European river cruise, or a Mississippi paddle boat.
      Carnival Cruises - Where Golden Corral meets the High Seas. Cof124

I had a friend who recently did one of the European river cruises and he absolutely loved it.

There are a few places where I wouldn't mind taking a cruise. Australia is one of them. The major cities are so far apart that driving would consume most of my time. I explored Sydney and its surrounding area for three days and got a good flavor for that portion of the continent. But trying to visit Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide would have required more time than I had available. A cruise around the coast would identify areas that I would want to re-visit on another trip.

Conversely, Hawaii is (IMHO) a horrible cruise destination. The port destinations publish the dates and times when ships are in port so that locals and land-based tourists can avoid them on those days. The nice beaches and hiking destinations were rarely near the ports of call.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Speaking of Corona Virus and the Trail, there are pros & cons affecting my upcoming section hike.

In the Smokies, tenting is allowed at all shelters regardless of thru-hiker status. You can tent even if you have a bunk reservation to support social distancing. Yay!

The Fontana Dam Visitors Center (and shower) is still closed due to the pandemic according to the TVA site. Bummer. Would have been nice to grab a free shower before driving home.

• These comments about cruises are great. Y'all (I'm in Texas) should write jokes for one of the late night shows!!!

My barber just returned from his first (And last) cruise. He said what some of you said. Stuck on a ship, overloaded with people. You get to a destination and better have a stop watch/timer because "You have 3 hours and we SAIL without you". He was in a group of 7. His wife got somewhat seasick from the motion. Then at least two others were wanting everyone to do everything "Together!". And got pissy when someone said "Naw...we are doing this now". Then he said one of them is "65, but stopped maturing at 8". Said the guy did a cannonball into the "Over 50 years old" pool which was 40 feet in diameter and had 30 people already in it. He said the looks on the other peoples faces. But the best one was some family of 4 with LITTLE KIDS at the "Over 50" and didn't take any hint to exit. Even refused when asked directly. A real zoo he said.
      My wife and I have little interest in a cruise.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

Speaking of Corona Virus and the Trail, there are pros & cons affecting my upcoming section hike.

In the Smokies, tenting is allowed at all shelters regardless of thru-hiker status. You can tent even if you have a bunk reservation to support social distancing. Yay!

The Fontana Dam Visitors Center (and shower) is still closed due to the pandemic according to the TVA site. Bummer. Would have been nice to grab a free shower before driving home.
      You should be able to still take a shower at the Fontana Hilton (shelter) right beside the dam. :)

There are a few places where I wouldn't mind taking a cruise. Australia is one of them. The major cities are so far apart that driving would consume most of my time. I explored Sydney and its surrounding area for three days and got a good flavor for that portion of the continent. But trying to visit Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide would have required more time than I had available. A cruise around the coast would identify areas that I would want to re-visit on another trip.
      Spent three weeks in Australia with my wife and three children 4 and under at the time. Over a week based out of Sydney, and then drove up to Brisbane, and then finished driving on to Cairns. Having a 7 month old who had lived in Singapore (an island the size of Houston) until that point, I can vouch for the drives were too long! ;(
    • Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Speaking of Corona Virus and the Trail, there are pros & cons affecting my upcoming section hike.

You should be able to still take a shower at the Fontana Hilton (shelter) right beside the dam. :)
      The shelter has a shower??? I thought it was only inside the Visitors Center. Well...that changes everything! Adding a towel to my post-hike bag. ^^

Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

The shelter has a shower??? I thought it was only inside the Visitors Center. Well...that changes everything! Adding a towel to my post-hike bag. ^^
      That is why it is called the Fontana "Hilton". :)

I've been telling people the last couple years that NOW is the time to hike the AT in the GSMNP as they have temporarily waived the requirement to sleep in the shelters.

The hostel at Mountain Crossings is still closed becasue of Covid. Sometime in the nearish future they will reevaluate the Covid situation and make a decision about 2023.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I've been telling people the last couple years that NOW is the time to hike the AT in the GSMNP as they have temporarily waived the requirement to sleep in the shelters.
      The hostel at Mountain Crossings is still closed becasue of Covid. Sometime in the nearish future they will reevaluate the Covid situation and make a decision about 2023.
      Hoping to stay at the Mountain Crossings hostel if I thru hike the AT in 2025. I am sure hope Covid is behind us by then.
    • we've done a couple of Ocean cruises and they were great. One was Vancouver to Seward AK. Alaska is an ideal cruise as most ports only accessible by boat. Plus most of the cruise is on the inside passage, so no seasickness. We were on HAL's smallest ship (only 1200 passengercapacity, now retired). HAL skews to an older crowd plus being a smaller ship it was not a party boat.

The other was a Istanbul to Rome. This was on Azamara, a more delux line with even smaller ships (700) and no children's program, so again, not a party ship. Big Cities are good for beginning and end (we stayed extra nights at both ends) as they are easy to get to, but not so good for layovers as there is too much to see in one day. This cruise had dsys at several Greek islsnds, three days at Amalfi, so the destinations were great. Plus a couple of sea dsys gave you time to relax and enjoy the ship.