Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

According to CDC recommendations, it's not exactly life as it used to be after getting vaccinated.
      I don't think it matters what the CDC recommendations are, since many people ignored them during the holidays, including many politicians that got caught with their "pants" down (remember Newsom and others...). Once people get the vaccine I believe they'll just return to normal life, especially the politicians...they gotta get caught up in campaign donations with all their fancy parties.

I will not wait in line for a shot, I'll just wait until they're begging people to come in and get vaccinated; they're going to have to roll out the red carpet for me :thumbsup: And I'll only get the J&J vaccine -- one and done :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

Have you noticed, apparently no one has had the regular flu this past year.
      No commercials to get a flu shot, no news stories about people dyeing of the flu, no one I know got sick with the flu, curious.
      I think that the steps that are being taken to minimize exposure to the coronavirus are responsible for that; social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing, many people working from home, many students remote learning rather than attending school.

I got the flu once in my mid 20's and I never ever hope I go thru that again.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

No commercials to get a flu shot, no news stories about people dyeing of the flu, no one I know got sick with the flu, curious.
      I think that the steps that are being taken to minimize exposure to the coronavirus are responsible for that; social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing, many people working from home, many students remote learning rather than attending school.
      Interesting, sounds like that might have turned you into a germaphobe, which helps explain a lot about your perspective over the past year.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I think that the steps that are being taken to minimize exposure to the coronavirus are responsible for that; social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing, many people working from home, many students remote learning rather than attending school.I got the flu once in my mid 20's and I never ever hope I go thru that again.
      Interesting, sounds like that might have turned you into a germaphobe, which helps explain a lot about your perspective over the past year.
      I get my perspective by staying informed and getting my information from sources other than facebook and twitter. And using the brain God gave me.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

roadrunner wrote:

And I'll only get the J&J vaccine -- one and done :)
      Don't be so sure about that -- Pfizer and Moderna are already testing a 3rd "booster shot." And if that proves to be necessary then I'm sure J&J will have to do the same.
      Don't be so sure about a J&J booster shot either. And just to be clear, J&J's 2-shot trial is a completely different trial that was conceived early on. There were actually three vaccine candidates but only the single dose and 2-dose went into the trials. And the scientists were pretty confident that the single dose would be successful, so it went first.

If there is a confirmed case of a vaccinated individual having a severe reaction to one of the variants, then I'll start looking into the status of booster shots. But for now, 'variant mania' is just a media thing. All viruses mutate. Hell, the 1917 Spanish Flu pandemic wasn't ended by science. The virus mutated to a harmless variant and the pandemic ended without vaccines or other medical intervention.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

max.patch wrote:

roadrunner wrote:

And I'll only get the J&J vaccine -- one and done :)
      Don't be so sure about that -- Pfizer and Moderna are already testing a 3rd "booster shot." And if that proves to be necessary then I'm sure J&J will have to do the same.
      Don't be so sure about a J&J booster shot either. And just to be clear, J&J's 2-shot trial is a completely different trial that was conceived early on. There were actually three vaccine candidates but only the single dose and 2-dose went into the trials. And the scientists were pretty confident that the single dose would be successful, so it went first.
      If there is a confirmed case of a vaccinated individual having a severe reaction to one of the variants, then I'll start looking into the status of booster shots. But for now, 'variant mania' is just a media thing. All viruses mutate. Hell, the 1917 Spanish Flu pandemic wasn't ended by science. The virus mutated to a harmless variant and the pandemic ended without vaccines or other medical intervention.
      I like what Dr. Monica Gandhi says at ~4:50-minute point in the below video.
      Variant-Smariant
    • Walmart pulled the old 'bait & switch' on me this morning. They used up their J&J vaccine allotment by last Saturday and my wife & I ended up with Pfizer.

The only after-shot pain was heading directly from Walmart to the Ohio BMV. My wife need to get her Ohio driver's license and we had to get a tag for the last vehicle. We got a trainee. A trainee that forgot her glasses. And her name tag. 7th in line when they opened and we left close to two hours later. Ouch!

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Some of my nurse friends refused the flu vaccine... if the government is going to make them wear a mask, they sure as hell aren’t going to be forced to get a shot, because, why would you need one? lol! You can be sure I got mine this year.

I don’t get sick often but every 5-6 years, I get everything. My theory is that it builds up my immunity for another few years.

I was sick all of winter (2019-2020) from November through February (sold my house and moved the week of Christmas when I was sick as a dog). In February, I was so sick, I decided I’d rather be dead than to keep feeling so bad. For several weeks in February, I couldn’t taste certain foods and wondered if I had asthma because it felt like my lungs couldn’t take a full breath. All I could do is lay on the couch, coughing.

Now I wonder if it was Covid and that the virus was here before we thought. But then I second guess myself because many people were sick during this time and think they had Covid when they didn’t.

Anyway...I should be good for the next few years. Knock on wood. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I rather think the flu is good training for my immune system. Well, that is what I tell myself anyway. Growing up my mother made us kids eat dirt and two week old leftovers. Yup, we got sick sometimes, but none of us ever had allergies or asthma. No hygiene induced autoimmune disorders for me.

Last time I had the flu was just a year ago. It lay me down for one day, but then I was fine. Think I got the Covid last February. This was back when the politicians were urging people to go eat out and support the restaurants in Chinatown, and I did with gusto. There were no tests available then, so I cannot prove I had it, but I did have breathing problems like never before. After a week I turned a corner (I think the vitamin D supplements helped, but who knows), and I was better.

Funny thing is I only ever seem to get sick on weekends, or on school breaks. In the past 31 years on my current job I have only used one sick day so far.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I got my 2nd Pfizer shot 24 hours ago, and so far my side effects are eactly the same as the first shot -- 12 hours after the shot minor discomfort at the injection site which lasted about 12 hours. Almost don't notice it now. Supposedly about half the people getting the shot get side effects 1-3 days after the shot; chills and/or fever among others. Wait and see; side effects are nothing to worry about and are a sign that the vaccine is working so bring it on!

The process was much faster -- 1 hour waiting instead of 2.5 hours and a normal 45 minute drive getting there instead of over 2 hours becasue of an accident on the interstate. They are now giving 2,200 shots a day at this location vs 1,100 when I got my first shot (which was the 2nd day of operations).
      2,000 miler
    • My last experience with flu symptoms was just after completing my Presidential Traverse in The Whites in September of 2019. My last two days of the hike were cut short due to a hospitalization for my father in law. The day after I got home, I was digging up a patch of my yard to spread topsoil and new seed and kept having to take breaks. By the afternoon, I was in bed. The next morning, it was all I could do to get out of bed to let the dog outside. That would have been my drive home day. Maybe it was a blessing that I came home two days early.

April 6th for the 2nd Pfizer dose and April 20th for a dinner out at a local restaurant.

• Global chip shortage causes automotive production cuts.

Vaccines rumored to contain microchips that will allow Bill Gates to track people who are vaccinated.

Coincidence?

:D

• max.patch wrote:

A normal BMI is 18.5-24.9; in Georgia you now qualify if your BMI is 25 or over.
      Georgia musta realized that having a BMI of 25 is just about everybody in our state, so yesterday they opened it up to everyone 16 and older. (Pfizer is approved for 16 and up; the two other vaccines are 18 and up.)

Arizona did the same.

Those states joined Alaska and Mississippi according to info in the Atlanta paper.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

A normal BMI is 18.5-24.9; in Georgia you now qualify if your BMI is 25 or over.
      Georgia musta realized that having a BMI of 25 is just about everybody in our state, so yesterday they opened it up to everyone 16 and older. (Pfizer is approved for 16 and up; the two other vaccines are 18 and up.)
      Arizona did the same.

Those states joined Alaska and Mississippi according to info in the Atlanta paper.
      Texas did the same. I think sign up starts next Monday for anyone over 16
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • If you believe surveys 45% wont get vaccinated any time soon.

15% is " hell no "
      7 % is "only if i have to "
      22% is " Im gonna wait and see what happens to these guinea pigs first"

Thats the reason they can open it up to everyone quicker........

Mrna vaccines have never been used before. There was frequent problems in animal tests previously.....long term. To rush them is cause for concern. Probably best thing for highest risk individuals.... Not necessarilly so for lowest risk.

When you hear 95% chance of preventing severe illness.....and tested on 40,000 people in trial......

Remember most wont have a significant illness anyway. Maybe 90%. The pool of actual testees that sicken in control group to compare efficacy sgainst is quite small.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Muddywaters wrote:

If you believe surveys 45% wont get vaccinated any time soon.
      This is worrisome...

Georgia originally set up 4 mass vaccination sites, each originally set up for 1,100 vaccinations daily to start, then ramping up to 2,200 daily after 3 weeks when it was time to get the 2nd shot. Albany, ironically "ground zero" for the virus in Georgia, never got above 100 appointments a day so they shut it down and reallocated the vaccine to other locations.

They then set up 5 additional sites after a month or so. For some reason the location in Savannah has not been giving out the daily 1,100 doses available, so they are now trying "no appointment necessary at that site. just drive in and get your shot". Lets hope that works.
      2,000 miler
    • Just learned the GATC has started a youtube channel.

Here they are interviewing thrus as they are just about to finish Georgia. Early in the video they say 40-60 have been starting everyday.

Wasn't looking for it, but I noticed 1 hiker has made a concession to the pandemic. Jump ahead to 5:10 if the video doesn't otherwise interest you.

2,000 miler
    • Muddywaters wrote:

didnt notice anything but hiker at 5:10 took 20 days to make it out of GA.......might be arecord for under 70 yo hikers. I met a 73yo that might have taken longer once at 3-5 mpd.
      He obviously likes Georgia. :) Which is understanable since he's from Nebraska.

His next stop is Franklin "for a few days." He's not in a hurry. :)

Edit to add: Amicalola Falls to the GA/NC border is 87 miles. He's still 4.5 miles away from there, but lets assume he gets there.

87/20 = 4.35 mpd

You may be right. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I enjoyed that video.

I found myself taking bets on which hikers were going to make it to Katahdin. Like Muddy I was surprised at the hiker who was on his 20th day. I'm guessing that hiker will run out of money before Harpers Ferry.

The Georgia Trail Ambassador seems like a good person for the job.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Got shot #2 yesterday morning. Strolled into Walmart, registered at the pharmacy counter, and was directed to the Lawn & Garden department. ?(

Instead of the pharmacist trying to complete the paperwork, syringe loading and shots, he concentrated on loading and paperwork while a technician went from socially-distanced chair-to-chair and gave the shots.

Reaction has been fairly mild. A bit of fatigue and soreness yesterday. This morning, I feel like I helped a friend move then celebrated with tequila shots past midnight.

Hall of Fame offensive lineman Anthony Munoz did a PSA for trusting medical professionals and getting vaccinated. It was nice the first few times I saw it, but my streaming service has aired it up to three times in a row.

• USFS says screw it and gives up:

GEORGIA, NORTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, AND VIRGINIA
      All shelters on U.S. Forest Service lands (most areas between the southern terminus in Georgia and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia) re-opened April 21.

This is every shelter in Georgia and almost every shelter between Georgia and the SNP.

The ATC reminds us (not that anyone is paying attention) that social distancing doesn't exist in shelters and recommends that hikers be self reliant and carry a personal shelter.

ATC article:

appalachiantrail.org/news/at-s…C_QInew_4Xanx_l8ir3c1rCQk
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

USFS says screw it and gives up:

All shelters on U.S. Forest Service lands (most areas between the southern terminus in Georgia and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia) re-opened April 21.

This is every shelter in Georgia and almost every shelter between Georgia and the SNP.

The ATC reminds us (not that anyone is paying attention) that social distancing doesn't exist in shelters and recommends that hikers be self reliant and carry a personal shelter.

ATC article:

They never were closed.........or not used
    • Muddywaters wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ATC article:

The fact that many hikers ignored the closures and slept shoulder to shoulder with unmasked strangers in a pandemic does not mean that the shelters (and privys) were not officially closed.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Muddywaters wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ATC article:

The fact that many hikers ignored the closures and slept shoulder to shoulder with unmasked strangers in a pandemic does not mean that the shelters (and privys) were not officially closed.

Words without enforcement...
      Are worthless

Cover their ar$e tactic, while allowing people to still do what they wanted.

I showed photo of one privy locked last yr....hikers "unlocked" it.

The bottom line is, they actually have zero control over it .

Not much different than telling democrat rioters, to stop and go home, and then saying you "stopped the riot". When nothing could be further from the truth. You told them to stop, they said FU.

Pretending the shelters were ever closed is a farce.

I also don't recall reading about any outbreaks of coronavirus on the AT......... And in fact most of what they told us early on about virus , transmission, masks, was dead wrong.

Policy should be rooted in sound science. There was zero. Unfortunately, that still is what's going on....fear mongering to maintain control over people.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Muddywaters ().