Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I can't believe it........New York's govenor Cuomo got an Emmy award for his daily press briefings about the corona virus.....the bar must be really, really low this year. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that in a day and age when everyone gets a trophy just for participating . The guy was just doing his job , geesh, makes me want to bang my head against a wall or squeeze my hand in a vise. X(
      At least he did his job.
      Other politicians didn't.
      Not sure how well he did his job as NY has more corona deaths than any other state.
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I can't believe it........New York's govenor Cuomo got an Emmy award for his daily press briefings about the corona virus.....the bar must be really, really low this year. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that in a day and age when everyone gets a trophy just for participating . The guy was just doing his job , geesh, makes me want to bang my head against a wall or squeeze my hand in a vise. X(
      At least he did his job.Other politicians didn't.
      Not sure how well he did his job as NY has more corona deaths than any other state.
      It hit there early and hard, when we knew very little about the virus. Since then they've done much better than most states.

Source: worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

The post was edited 1 time, last by Time Zone ().

• Time Zone wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

At least he did his job.Other politicians didn't.
      It hit there early and hard, when we knew very little about the virus. Since then they've done much better than most states.
      Source: worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/
      Cuomo's directive to send Covid patients resulted in a lot of deaths. Even early on anyone could see that this was a terrible idea.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Dmax wrote:

Still a terrible idea. Here in Tennessee it's still happening. The nursing home my wife works at had two Covid patients received this week. The only thing we can figure is that it is part of a national emergency plan.
      DMax, the stupidity of this is so stunning, Nursing homes to not have the ability or training that most hospitals have to isolate infectious patients. I can only wonder if they do this fully knowing what the inevitable outcome will be. And if this is purposeful, what is the purpose? What are they trying to achieve?

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • There are 5 total cases at her facility, plus 6 staff at home right now. She does wound care on two of the residents. They have a good isolation unit for the positive cases. How well protocal is followed, I'm not sure. But I know the few that have to be in contact are very carefull.
      The other nursing homes in the area have done the same thing since the start of the pandemic.
      I guess if you don't send positive cases to the nursing homes the hospitals would have been filled to max quickly once the virus hit their area. Then the only thing to do would be to lock the doors. Can't send them to hotels and I don't see make shift hospitals set up by our government anywhere.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Dmax wrote:

Still a terrible idea. Here in Tennessee it's still happening. The nursing home my wife works at had two Covid patients received this week. The only thing we can figure is that it is part of a national emergency plan.
      DMax, the stupidity of this is so stunning, Nursing homes to not have the ability or training that most hospitals have to isolate infectious patients. I can only wonder if they do this fully knowing what the inevitable outcome will be. And if this is purposeful, what is the purpose? What are they trying to achieve?
      Makes absolutely no sense.
      2,000 miler
    • Dmax wrote:

She tested positive today. I get tested tomorrow, but pretty sure I've got it too........
      Keep the faith. I'm pulling for the both of you. Dos Equis are on me next time we meet.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • The latest email from the ATC came yesterday and was also posted on the web:

appalachiantrail.org/official-blog/prepping-for-2021/

The ATC continues to take this virus more seriously than many of our politians do.

<snip>

The rising number of COVID-19 cases continues to make long-distance hiking a potential contributor to the spread of coronavirus along the Trail and in Trailside communities. The best way to ensure you and others remain safe is to postpone your hikes.

We have also received many questions regarding the status of our 2,000-miler recognition program. The ATC plans to reinstate our 2,000-miler recognition program when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has deemed the pandemic “under control,” and/or a COVID-19 vaccine or effective treatment is widely available and distributed.
      2,000 miler
    • My brother-in-law is one of those people who wasn't taking the virus very seriously, he thought it was political and infringing on his freedom to be told to wear a mask. Well guess what? Yep you guessed it, he's got it now and so does his wife who has been hospitalized since last Friday. They were diagnosed Tuesday a week ago and actually told us they didn't understand why they needed to quarantine. My wife had been over to their house the week before they showed symptoms, never took her mask off. So we went and got tested today and we are both negative. What really pisses me off is my brother-in-law made no phone calls to anyone that had been to their house to let them know they might have been exposed.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Today I found out that nurses at the hospital where I worked for 10+ years have been offered the vaccine. This hospital is in the same system as my current hospital, yet we have not been offered the vaccine. I’m a little pissed about that. Our ICU’s are full... there are only a few open ICU beds in the state.

It’s incredible how many health care professionals are refusing to get vaccinated. Most of my FB friends are nurses and most say they aren’t going to get vaccinated. Stupid.

I want to see my granddaughter...I’ll be the first in line for the vaccine.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Today I found out that nurses at the hospital where I worked for 10+ years have been offered the vaccine. This hospital is in the same system as my current hospital, yet we have not been offered the vaccine. I’m a little pissed about that. Our ICU’s are full... there are only a few open ICU beds in the state.

It’s incredible how many health care professionals are refusing to get vaccinated. Most of my FB friends are nurses and most say they aren’t going to get vaccinated. Stupid.

I want to see my granddaughter...I’ll be the first in line for the vaccine.
      I'm definitely getting vaccinated when it's available for me. To not is just plain dumb in my opinion, why take a chance with your health?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dmax wrote:

They have called my wife everyday from her place of employment. Not to see how she's doing, but to see if she would come in and work the Covid unit since she is positive.
      CDC guidelines are on page with that.......
      ?????
      I can't come up with the words to describe how stupid that is.

Is it possible that the nursing home is misinterpreting the guidelines?
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Astro wrote:

Was supposed to talk to the University Explorer Club tonight (outside social distanced) about hiking, but the club president canceled. Despite plexiglass, masks, and 6 foot distance in classroom, some cases have recently shown up from activities beyond the classroom. We are halfway to our goal of on ground classes until Thanksgiving break, and finish with 3 weeks online.
      We successfully finished our 13 weeks on ground and now into the 3 weeks online to finish the semester (wise decision not to bring the students back after Thanksgiving). Plan is to start Spring as normal on Jan 11, and very few students has chosen remote so far as compared to the Fall (5% overall, but more like over 10% in mine since uppper level).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

They have called my wife everyday from her place of employment. Not to see how she's doing, but to see if she would come in and work the Covid unit since she is positive.
      CDC guidelines are on page with that.......
      ?????
      I can't come up with the words to describe how stupid that is.
      Is it possible that the nursing home is misinterpreting the guidelines?
      I had my test done at the department of health. They gave me a few pages stapled together that tells about this and that, about the virus. It did mention that health care workers can work if a symptomatic and adhere to specific practices. That's from Tn dept of health. Her employment seems to be pushing the boundaries.
    • My employer is one of the big healthcare companies in the forefront of the vaccine development efforts. We get weekly briefings on the progress as well as the initial development process. I have full faith in the scientists and doctors who are performing the trials and will not hesitate to take the vaccine when it becomes available. My preference is to get 'our' vaccine but I would accept any option with proven efficacy.

One of my wife's friends from nursing school was infected with Covid-19 and gave us a detailed description of her symptoms. Let's just say that I don't have a problem thoroughly washing my hands, wearing a mask, and staying away from other people - I don't want to endure the difficulties she faced. The worst part? She didn't get it from her job at a hospital. Her husband brought it home from his job.

And I learned today that Ohio added Ohio to its travel advisory locations. People in Ohio are encouraged to avoid travel to Ohio, and should self-quarantine if they choose to visit Ohio. cincinnati.com/story/news/2020…ohio-kentucky/3806480001/
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • We were planning on visiting our daughter in Raleigh for Christmas. Our first grandchild was born in early May and she is growing so fast, not going would be a bitter pill to take. We will wait to the last minute to decide. Our recent thinking is to skip the hotel stay and do the day and a half drive in one go, stopping only for gas, bringing food to eat in the car, and never going out while there. That would expose us to only there additional people. Hard to know what to do.
    • The only places I'm driving to right now are within a 10 mile radius. I wouldn't do a long drive -- but if I had to I'd do as you say -- sleep in the car, bring food from home, only stop for gas. I don't have a small RV but if I did I'd probably tow it for additional isolation.

Over a million people flew on the day before Thanksgiving, on the day after Thanksgiving, and on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Despite the CDC saying to stay home.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• odd man out wrote:

We were planning on visiting our daughter in Raleigh for Christmas. Our first grandchild was born in early May and she is growing so fast, not going would be a bitter pill to take. We will wait to the last minute to decide. Our recent thinking is to skip the hotel stay and do the day and a half drive in one go, stopping only for gas, bringing food to eat in the car, and never going out while there. That would expose us to only there additional people. Hard to know what to do.
      Not being there to see the grand baby grow has been the most difficult part for me. Initially I was visiting once a month which was perfect but now I’ve only seen her three times since May. Babies change so quickly! Each time I visited, I was tested beforehand and was careful to minimize contact while traveling.

I was supposed to visit the week before Christmas (I have to work Christmas) but we mutually decided it’s a bad idea right now so the end of February is probably when I will see her next. She’ll be talking in full sentences by then.

It’s fascinating to me that she doesn’t seem to forget me between visits. There’s a game that I play with her and she remembers it every time. :)

Anyway, darn straight I’m getting the vaccine. I totally agree with ST and trust the scientists and researchers.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • You folks seem to have made major changes and sacrifices in response to this virus. I have to admit I have not done the same. Since the spring I have had trips to every state in New England and a short trip to Las Vegas. I am one of only a handful of teachers at my college still meeting his students for in-person classes (well, labs anyway). I eat out often, ride subways, go to museums, and I get together with small groups of friends. I helped keep my candlepin bowling league going putting together a smaller group who bowls every Wednesday. I have done all this while also doing my best to follow the Covid requirements and being respectful of other's space and safety concerns. I think that safety needs to be balanced with the human need to live life and socialize with friends and loved ones. Frankly, the isolation and deteriorating mental health of so many in our society now has me worried that the damage done by the response to the pandemic may in the long term prove more damaging than the pandemic itself.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

You folks seem to have made major changes and sacrifices in response to this virus. I have to admit I have not done the same. Since the spring I have had trips to every state in New England and a short trip to Las Vegas. I am one of only a handful of teachers at my college still meeting his students for in-person classes (well, labs anyway). I eat out often, ride subways, go to museums, and I get together with small groups of friends. I helped keep my candlepin bowling league going putting together a smaller group who bowls every Wednesday. I have done all this while also doing my best to follow the Covid requirements and being respectful of other's space and safety concerns. I think that safety needs to be balanced with the human need to live life and socialize with friends and loved ones. Frankly, the isolation and deteriorating mental health of so many in our society now has me worried that the damage done by the response to the pandemic may in the long term prove more damaging than the pandemic itself.
      You could call us brothers from a different mother, as similar story myself. While I did let it keep me from finishing the AT this summer, I have driven several other places. Hike in Colorado, funeral in MN, multiple hikes in AR, multiple trips to see my father in NC. And in less than 2 weeks from now I pick my dad up in NC to go see his brother and sister in FL to celebrate his birthday.

I guess each person needs to decide what is best for them. That is what freedom is all about. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

Finally read a 'Corona virus and the Trail' story that I really enjoyed...

insider.com/man-fined-walking-…CCIJb79N7PXDyuWcaNQrr0AHM
      Italy doesn't mess around. During the original lockdown, my sister had to log onto the town website and request a grocery pass. If she was audited by the police on her way out or back and found to have taken anything other than the direct route to the closest grocery store, it was a 50 Euro fine on the spot. Under the current lockdown rules, she can go to any store, but the social distancing is strictly enforced.

At least she can ship wine to the U.S. for Christmas presents. :thumbsup:

• Stalking Tortoise,
      It is interesting to me that Italy is so strict about people 'sheltering in place', and yet their infection rate is so high.
      Could it be that keeping people indoors actually increases their chances of infection?
      Wouldn't it make sense to encourage people to spend more time outdoors and socially distant?

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Stalking Tortoise,
      It is interesting to me that Italy is so strict about people 'sheltering in place', and yet their infection rate is so high.
      Could it be that keeping people indoors actually increases their chances of infection?
      Wouldn't it make sense to encourage people to spend more time outdoors and socially distant?
      At the beginning of the pandemic, the doctors in Italy had to make the very difficult decisions on who received treatment based on the limited number of ICU beds and who was sent home to die. As the weeks of the initial lockdown passed by, the numbers dropped and the lockdown ended. All was good until the EU opened the intra-borders and allowed tourists to travel outside their home countries.

My sister lives in the medieval city of Siena and the central piazza was filled with EU tourists - smoking, drinking, and generally having a good time in close quarters without masks. Even with mask mandates, those 'damn kids' were too busy having fun and didn't care if they were spreading Covid in a different country. Add in the typical 'kiss on both cheeks' greeting and it's no surprise that the infection rates shot back up. The 'shelter in place' rules came in after the infection rates increased, not the other way around. All to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed again.