Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• File this under "everyones different":

I finally got around to getting my 2nd booster -- the bivalent omicron booster -- that is supposed to be the roughest in terms of side effects after the shot.

I had extremely minor soreness in my arm that extended into my neck. Lasted less than a full day and was nearly unnoticeable. This was easily the least amount of side effects I've experienced of the 4 shots. "Side effect" is actually too strong a term for what I exerienced.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I've been telling people the last couple years that NOW is the time to hike the AT in the GSMNP as they have temporarily waived the requirement to sleep in the shelters.
      The good times are over. I got the following email today from the ATC:

Shelter use in the Smokies - As of June 1, the COVID-related backcountry permit condition regarding shelter use in Great Smoky Mountains National Park has ended. General backcountry permit holders whose itinerary includes shelters are once again required to stay inside the shelter itself. A.T. thru-hiker permit holders may tent if the shelter is full.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I've been telling people the last couple years that NOW is the time to hike the AT in the GSMNP as they have temporarily waived the requirement to sleep in the shelters.
      The good times are over. I got the following email today from the ATC:

Shelter use in the Smokies - As of June 1, the COVID-related backcountry permit condition regarding shelter use in Great Smoky Mountains National Park has ended. General backcountry permit holders whose itinerary includes shelters are once again required to stay inside the shelter itself. A.T. thru-hiker permit holders may tent if the shelter is full.
      I understand the thinking to reduce the impact from a lot of people who have a bright idea of camping in GSNP, still sad for AT and other long distance hikers.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • max.patch wrote:

Aaron Rodgers challenged Travis Kelce to a vaccine debate.

Because, of course, our vaccine policy should be decided by a couple football players. :(
      Moderated by Taylor Swift. Sponsored by State Farm.

Try as I may, I can't seem to inoculate myself from Aaron Rodger's idiocy.

Speaking of Taylor Swift... I live ~10 miles outside of Hamilton County, home to Paycor Stadium in Cincy where Taylor Swift performed on June 30th / July 1st. My county is reporting a >$1,000,000 boost in sales tax / hotel tax collections from previous years. So I'll thank a Swiftie every time a pothole is filled.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard