Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

I think I'm out of touch with reality!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think I'm out of touch with reality!

I've been considering a couple of gear purchases lately.
      It would be nice to have a real winter sleeping bag rated somewhere about -20. Also, we thought it would be good to have a new 3person, freestanding tent. Both for the times when we're able to escape to the woods during the winter time. So naturally I've been looking at these items on-line. I've been looking at down, sleeping bags that are generally considered of good to excellent quality and tents that can accommodate me, Kathy, and our dog but are at the lighter end of the spectrum.
      The prices astound me! :S
      I always considered this "hobby" to be simple and cheap, and that's one of the reasons I liked it.
      I'm starting to feeling like an old guy who's out of touch with life in the 21st century. I mean, you used to be able to buy a used car cheaper than some of these items.
      Sorry, I just need to vent gif.011

Rasty,
      Thanks for the suggestions but those all seem to be synthetic insulation. For winter I currently carry 2 down sleeping bags which I was hoping to replace with 1 down bag to save on pack space. If I go to a synthetic bag, they seem to be a significantly larger package and I'm back to using up a lot of pack space. In that case I'll save the money and just continue carrying 2 bags. Oh and I don't expect to be out at 20 below just want to be sure of being warm down to about zero. The sleeping bag I used at 25 below was too bulky to backpack with. It took a sled and 6 dogs to haul!
    • Re:I think I'm out of touch with reality!

I have to agree that gear can be expensive up front but viewed over time, I still think it is cheap.
      Even a $600 bag becomes reasonable if you start dividing it by the number of nights you will sleep in it.
      A $300 backpack that you use for 2000 miles is cheap in my view.
      The fact you can do another 10,000 with it is a bonus.

In my case the tent still needs to last a while to become better value though....
      :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

I'm facing that situation now - replacing gear I had in the 1990's with lighter weight items. I'd hate to admit how heavy my pack was when I left Springer Mtn. in 1997. Now I can't believe what I'm going to have to pay for all the gear I need. So far I have the tent and a down sleeping bag with Thermarest.

gypsy97 wrote:

I'm facing that situation now - replacing gear I had in the 1990's with lighter weight items. I'd hate to admit how heavy my pack was when I left Springer Mtn. in 1997. Now I can't believe what I'm going to have to pay for all the gear I need. So far I have the tent and a down sleeping bag with Thermarest.

That's a good start. Have you decided on a stove or water treatment?
      Lost in the right direction.

gypsy97, I make 2 types of stoves. They are pictured in the next link. The back row are side burners that require no pot stand. The front row are center burners that require a pot stand.

http://appalachiantrailcafe.net/cooking-gear/230-alcohol-stoves.html?start=200#18693

This is what the side burner looks like in action:

http://appalachiantrailcafe.net/cooking-gear/230-alcohol-stoves.html?start=120#17340

This is what the center burner looks like in action:

http://appalachiantrailcafe.net/cooking-gear/230-alcohol-stoves.html?start=240#19318

PM me if you want one.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

I have no clue about water treatment. I had a filter that crapped out before I got out of Georgia, so I used iodine for about 3 months. I hear about the Sawyer Squeeze but would have to actually look at and hold one to see if I would want to deal with it. I want a stove that screws onto a small gas cannister. I think alcohol stoves are banned this year on a big part of the PCT, or possibly it's anything with a flame, and that may be the case on other trails in CA.

It's been so long since I've done any backpacking so I'm taking a class at REI in a couple of weeks. I hope I can ask a lot of questions, get ideas on all the new (to me) gear, and more.

CaptNat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This is why I can never afford to be a real hiker.

I do own a 20 degree synthetic bag from Gander Mountain that seems to work well.

There's no such thing as a "real hiker". :)

How can you say that Ms TJ? I'm a "real hiker" and have gaiters and hiking poles to prove it!!! :)

I've got boots and a nalgene, I must be a real hiker too!
    • Re:Re: I think I'm out of touch with reality!

TrafficJam wrote:

CaptNat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

I do own a 20 degree synthetic bag from Gander Mountain that seems to work well.

How can you say that Ms TJ? I'm a "real hiker" and have gaiters and hiking poles to prove it!!! :)

Real hikers use Gatorade bottles.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CaptNat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

And wear trail runners
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: I think I'm out of touch with reality!

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CaptNat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

And wear trail runners

Goes without saying
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Man. I did it wrong. I carried nalgenes. Do I have to hike the AT & PCT again to do it right? Or can I get it grandfathered in because I didn't know better? I even used a liquid gas stove! :woohoo: & at times cooked!!! :evil:

Ignorance isn't going to help you. Time to start over. Maybe practice with the continental divide trail.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

OzJacko wrote:

I have to agree that gear can be expensive up front but viewed over time, I still think it is cheap.
      Even a $600 bag becomes reasonable if you start dividing it by the number of nights you will sleep in it.

In my case the tent still needs to last a while to become better value though....
      :P

Yes you are right... but the Americans don't see it that way.... I have been frustrated for years of price vs value vs how cheap can I do it.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

:P

Yes you are right... but the Americans don't see it that way.... I have been frustrated for years of price vs value vs how cheap can I do it.

You're right about that.
      That's why the "big box" stores are so popular. They can sell you things cheaper than the mom + pop stores.
      Sure but you don't get the same level of service or the quality of goods that your local small business owners offer, usually.
      Case in point, not long ago I was doing some home repairs and realized I needed something. In a hurry I drove to the local hardware store I shop at and picked out the things I needed. When they rang it all up I reached into my pocket and discovered that in my haste I didn't bring my wallet with me. They told me no problem, just pay it next time you come in, and I did. Now if I had gone to Home Depot, or Lowes, I would have been SOL.

I guess I was in sticker shock when I started this thread because I was looking at items that I knew I'd only use a few nights a year, so the cost to night outdoors ratio was pretty high.