Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans for 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't know anything about how the permit process works, but many years ago when my dad was younger he used to drive up there without a permit and always got one -- he said that at a certain time of day if the permit holders hadn't shown up their permits would be released to walk ups. And someone always didn't show up.

Oh...if you're driving to the South Rim and plan on getting a cheap meal at the last McDonalds before you reach the park you'll be disappointed. You'll get fed -- it just won't be cheap. :)
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

I guess I am lucky to have once been young and stupid. In my twenties I drove to the South Rim on a cross country road trip. Just walked up to the ranger station to book a night in Indian Gardens and got a spot no problem. Did a hike to Phantom Ranch on the Bright Angel Trail over a relaxing two days and had a great time.

Ten years later I brought my future wife to do he same hike and scored another walk-up spot at Indian Gardens. Sometimes it pays to be stupid but lucky :)

On the road into the South Rim entrance I also wild camped on what I presume were BLM lands. At least I hope they were BLM lands. :P
      They do hold back a couple of permits each day for walk ups. I hear that duty busy times you need to be standing outside the Backcountry office by 5 am
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Amazing!!! I have been awarded a Grand Canyon below the rim backcountry camping permit!!!! I had to go to a non-main corridor trail to do it, but hey I'll be away from the crowds trying to hike in flip-flops. I'm so excited thinking of the Dark Sky experience from the inner gorge. I'm hoping and praying that this Coronavirus thing does not get out of control between now and then.
      so what is your itinerary? I really want to do a GC hike. I would want to do the loop that includes the Hermit and Tonto trails and camping by the river. Can't you mail in your permit request?
      I'm just doing a one night out and back. Down the Hermit to Tonto, turn right and go to Monument Creek and camp. I've been to Phantom Ranch via mule and spent two nights on Horseshoe Mesa down the steep Grand View trail. I'm planning on spending my other days on this trip day hiking non corridor trails that I haven't been on.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Whelp, I just got an automated call from the Grand Canyon telling me that due to the Virus, the Grand Canyon is closed and they are refunding my money within 48 hours- even though my trip is still a month away. ☹️.
      Soooooooo maybe things will work out that I can go up to NH this summer and hike for a little while. I have a night's credit at the Joe Dodge Lodge that I need to use by mid July,I think, that's burning a hole in my pocket. Might see you up there Astro!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Whelp, I just got an automated call from the Grand Canyon telling me that due to the Virus, the Grand Canyon is closed and they are refunding my money within 48 hours- even though my trip is still a month away. ☹️.
      Soooooooo maybe things will work out that I can go up to NH this summer and hike for a little while. I have a night's credit at the Joe Dodge Lodge that I need to use by mid July,I think, that's burning a hole in my pocket. Might see you up there Astro!
      Sorry about your Grand Canyon trip, but seeing you in NH would be awesome. :thumbup: Currently thinking around July 7-8th starting from Joe Dodge Lodge. Have to back home before my son's wedding on August 8th. Of course that assumes the AMC has things open by then.

Rasty can cook for us (that is if executive chef's still do cook) and we can meet Coach Lou at Rattle River.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Whelp, I just got an automated call from the Grand Canyon telling me that due to the Virus, the Grand Canyon is closed and they are refunding my money within 48 hours- even though my trip is still a month away. ☹️.
      Sorry about your Grand Canyon trip, but seeing you in NH would be awesome. :thumbup: Currently thinking around July 7-8th starting from Joe Dodge Lodge. Have to back home before my son's wedding on August 8th. Of course that assumes the AMC has things open by then.
      And the church
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

And the church
      They were already planning an outdoor wedding. I guess they could place all the chairs like 6 feet apart.
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

I kept hoping our West Highland Way trip wouldn't be canceled but... Got my first "We'll be closing the hotel until further notice" email yesterday.
      Now I just need Delta to cancel my flight to get a refund.

Bummer!
      Might be coming, or possibly they would be willing to reschedule for next year.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Let me start off by saying that I totally understand why they closed the Grand Canyon. Having said that...

About 10 years I finished a hike at Kennesaw Mountain about 15 minutes after sunset. The mountain and all the parking lots close at sunset. As I returned to my car I saw a ranger writing parking tickets for every car that was still in the lot. He hadn't gotten to my car yet. The ranger saw me and headed my way to give me a warning; told me Kennesaw Mountain closed at sunset and that every car here was getting ticketed and don't be out after sunset again. I looked at him and asked "How can you close the woods?" He replied "Sir, I'm not planning on giving you a ticket. But if you piss me off I can change my mind." I politely said goodby and left; he returned to writing tickets.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty can cook for us (that is if executive chef's still do cook) and we can meet Coach Lou at Rattle River.
      We'll see how this plays out. If it turns out I can't get there, I'll give you my reservation credit.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Sorry about your Grand Canyon trip, but seeing you in NH would be awesome. :thumbup: Currently thinking around July 7-8th starting from Joe Dodge Lodge. Have to back home before my son's wedding on August 8th. Of course that assumes the AMC has things open by then.Rasty can cook for us (that is if executive chef's still do cook) and we can meet Coach Lou at Rattle River.
      We'll see how this plays out. If it turns out I can't get there, I'll give you my reservation credit.
      I hope it does work out, but if it doesn't that is nice of you and I'll find a way to pay you back. :)
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Kathy and I still hope to get to Maine this summer
      Maybe we could stop at Joe Dodge Lodge on our way. As of yet we have no dates in mind.
    • Kathy and I were talking the other day about "what if we get to do a hike this summer. On the AT we have the 120 miles from Monson, Maine to Katadyn. Kathy says she wants to start at Katadyn and hike south but if conditions improve enough I think a lot of this year's thru hikers will go to Katadyn and hike south to where ever they got off trail. My suggestion was to find another trail for this year, maybe something about the same length 120 miles, but less known than the AT.

Do any of you have suggestions that would be in that mileage range, give or take, and be a trail that's usually not crowded.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I were talking the other day about "what if we get to do a hike this summer. On the AT we have the 120 miles from Monson, Maine to Katadyn. Kathy says she wants to start at Katadyn and hike south but if conditions improve enough I think a lot of this year's thru hikers will go to Katadyn and hike south to where ever they got off trail. My suggestion was to find another trail for this year, maybe something about the same length 120 miles, but less known than the AT.

Do any of you have suggestions that would be in that mileage range, give or take, and be a trail that's usually not crowded.
      How about the northern part of The Long Trail?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I were talking the other day about "what if we get to do a hike this summer. On the AT we have the 120 miles from Monson, Maine to Katadyn. Kathy says she wants to start at Katadyn and hike south but if conditions improve enough I think a lot of this year's thru hikers will go to Katadyn and hike south to where ever they got off trail. My suggestion was to find another trail for this year, maybe something about the same length 120 miles, but less known than the AT.

I am sure it would be great scenery, but I hear it is tougher than the AT (at the part that runs concurrently with the AT in Vermont).
    • Early on in the discussions to take a new job and be apart from my wife during the week, Mrs. Tortoise made a comment that "you better not expect to take a week's vacation to go hiking with Smoking Sox this year."

Now that we're together 24/7 for at least six weeks, I'm thinking there's a chance. It might actually become mandatory in order to save our union. :D

I'd love to get back to NH and finish my Franconia Ridge orphan section as well as the section from Pinkham Notch to Gorham.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I am sure it would be great scenery, but I hear it is tougher than the AT (at the part that runs concurrently with the AT in Vermont).
      Northern part of the LT is more comparable to the Whites than so VT.
      Images
      • Ladder.jpg

193.39 kB, 800×520, viewed 362 times
      • Root Staircase.jpg

107.28 kB, 397×600, viewed 353 times
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Northern part of the LT is more comparable to the Whites than so VT.
      Yeah, in parentheses that should have been (at LEAST the part that runs concurrently with the AT in Vermont).
    • I was going to suggest the Northern Half of the LT too. About 170 tough miles. I know that is longer than you asked for, but perhaps you could split it over two seasons. The crowd thins out a bit once it splits from the AT, except for the two weeks before Labor Day when large college 'orientation' groups show up.

They never really bother me since I camp away from the shelters when I can and they sometimes bring more food than they can eat themselves. I had one group give me a 'campfire pizza' once, and it was pretty damn good.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

How about the Kungsleden in northern Sweden. The entire trail is longer than you want, but you could do whatever portion you want. Plus there is a whole network of connecting trails you could use to put together a custom route. If you really want to avoid crowds go off trail. The northern section is several hundred miles north of the Arctic circle so all but the lowest valleys are above tree line so cross country treks are straight forward. In Sweden you can hike and camp anywhere you want with no permits needed. There are huts along the trails with beds, resupply stores, and saunas. Water is no problem. You are never far from water and it is safe to drink with no treatment. The most crowded section is the northern section from Nikkokoakta to Abisko. It's on my list to do at some point.
    • As I mentioned in another thread, I just finished an issue of Backpacker from last fall.

I think this trail is interesting and I tore out the page for hopefully future reference. It's the Black Forest Trail in Pennsylvania. Views of the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania", waterfalls, plenty of water, camping allowed almost everywhere with established sites every couple of miles. 42 mile loop.

I won't get there this year...but someday maybe.

I've linked to the article, but it's a truncated version of what was in print.

backpacker.com/trips/black-forest-trail-hike-pennsylvania
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I've been looking at PA's Mid State Trail. Anybody have any firsthand info on that trail?
      It runs thru some real good trout country, and utilizes many state game lands. Spring is Turkey season, fall is deer!
      Be sure to take your orange hat, jacket ^^
      Spring gobbler season is limited to mornings. IIRC, it's end of hunting by noon, out of the woods by 1.

Or in the case of the camp I attended, it was out of the rack by 10, and out of the cabin by noon. No need to go into the woods.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread, I just finished an issue of Backpacker from last fall.

I think this trail is interesting and I tore out the page for hopefully future reference. It's the Black Forest Trail in Pennsylvania. Views of the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania", waterfalls, plenty of water, camping allowed almost everywhere with established sites every couple of miles. 42 mile loop.

Based on picture it looks like Fall would be a good time to go.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread, I just finished an issue of Backpacker from last fall.

Based on picture it looks like Fall would be a good time to go.
      I agree, although when I think of places to go for fall foliage Pennsylvania doesn't exactly jump to the top of the list. :)
      2,000 miler