Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2019 Hiking Miles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2019 Hiking Miles

How many miles did you hike in 2019 7
        > 2,000 (0) 0%
        1,500 (0) 0%
        1,000 (0) 0%
        750 (0) 0%
        500 (0) 0%
        250 (2) 29%
        100 (2) 29%
        < 100 (3) 43%
      How many miles did you hike in 2019?
      • Please include all trails, not just the AT.
      • All miles hiked, not just new ones (I know some of some of us do a lot of out and backs, or local trails we hit hit often).

• Counting hiking on trails, not just walking around the neighborhood or the local track.
      • To make it look simpler I just put the levels, but 100 would be 100-249, 250 would be 250-499, etc..
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • for the 2nd straight year i didn't keep a spreadsheet; so i'm guessing i'm in that 100-250 range -- closer to 100.

2 hikes on the AT -- which is 2 more than the year before -- a few in the arizona desert and the rest at kennesaw mountain.

expecting a better year; back doesn't hurt and the knee is "manageable" so i started recording my mileage again. 2020 started on monday, december 30 for record keeping purposes and i've got 6 three mile hikes done thus far.
      2,000 miler
    • I really thought I would get back to 500 this year, but once I got back from the AT this summer things were the busiest ever this Fall and never had much of a chance to get out.

For 2020 in addition to the 167 of AT, plan to get several hundred miles on various other trails. Teaching a class on Monday night in Fort Smith the next 7 weeks and weather permitting plan to camp out somewhere on the way back and hike some on Tuesdays. Multiple state parks and trails between here and there.
    • A very, very, very sad year. I only got to hike the 24.6 miles from Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch. Not a bad 24.6 miles, mind you. Just not enough to justify all of the conditioning and travel time.

I had to leave the trail early on that section because my Father-in-law was in the hospital. He recovered, but this hard-working son of Polish immigrants couldn't shake a host of health issues. Despite my wife's heroic efforts, his congestive heart failure is winning the battle and she put him on hospice care this afternoon.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

A very, very, very sad year. I only got to hike the 24.6 miles from Crawford Notch to Pinkham Notch. Not a bad 24.6 miles, mind you. Just not enough to justify all of the conditioning and travel time.

I had to leave the trail early on that section because my Father-in-law was in the hospital. He recovered, but this hard-working son of Polish immigrants couldn't shake a host of health issues. Despite my wife's heroic efforts, his congestive heart failure is winning the battle and she put him on hospice care this afternoon.
      That 24.6 miles is probably tougher than a lot of 124.6 mile stretches in the South.

My prayers are with your wife and the rest of your family at this time. My observation is that is always the toughest on the ones providing the most care at the end.
    • No hiking miles in 2019, my husband is fighting conjestive heart failure. I don't dare leave him alone. As long as "nursie" is watching he eats his "heart healthy" diet and takes his medicine. Without my cooking he would live on McGriddles for breakfast and Chick-Fila for supper! He has improved greatly since a week in the hospital in March. The neighbors keep asking where my backpack is though. The garden did real well in 2019! ^^
    • SandyofPA wrote:

No hiking miles in 2019, my husband is fighting conjestive heart failure. I don't dare leave him alone. As long as "nursie" is watching he eats his "heart healthy" diet and takes his medicine. Without my cooking he would live on McGriddles for breakfast and Chick-Fila for supper! He has improved greatly since a week in the hospital in March. The neighbors keep asking where my backpack is though. The garden did real well in 2019! ^^
      He is lucky to have such a great wife and friend. Good luck to you both.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • SandyofPA wrote:

No hiking miles in 2019, my husband is fighting conjestive heart failure. I don't dare leave him alone. As long as "nursie" is watching he eats his "heart healthy" diet and takes his medicine. Without my cooking he would live on McGriddles for breakfast and Chick-Fila for supper! He has improved greatly since a week in the hospital in March. The neighbors keep asking where my backpack is though. The garden did real well in 2019! ^^
      Sandy,
      I am sorry to hear about your husband's poor health. I am going through something similar with my wife who has a terminal illness. So I too do not get many opportunities to get out. But I'm learning thru my support groups the importance of making time for myself and taking care of myself. I wish you both the best.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference