Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Christmas and Chanukah 2019

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• While I don't doubt there is much wasteful government spending, these lists often include items based on a scientific ignorance. English is the world-wide language of science and the US is the preeminent destination for scientist seeking world-class science opportunities thanks to governmemt support of science. Our high standard of living is a direct result. Diminishing this would be very damaging to our dominance. Unfortunately, non-scientists are not qualified to evaluate the value of research projects. When I was in grad school, a friend of mine was watching Pres. Reagan give an address on wasteful spending and the president cited on live TV my friends research as an example of "rediculous" government funded research. It turned out it was a perfectly normal project on plant pathology. If you are eating food today, you can thank this type of research. But based only on the research project's arcane title, the ignorant president and public saw fit to ridiclue it. It does get lots of votes. That is was the politicians really care about.
    • Happy Holidays!

My life is crazy right now. I helped with my sick grand baby last week and got sick also, of course. It’s impossible to keep baby germs away. I’m moving this week (staying in Knoxville for now), and just finished my last two shifts at my hospital, yay! I’m going back to labor and delivery in a few weeks. Looking forward to having all this craziness and stress behind me and to start hiking again.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Happy Holidays!

My life is crazy right now. I helped with my sick grand baby last week and got sick also, of course. It’s impossible to keep baby germs away. I’m moving this week (staying in Knoxville for now), and just finished my last two shifts at my hospital, yay! I’m going back to labor and delivery in a few weeks. Looking forward to having all this craziness and stress behind me and to start hiking again.
      Congratulations on the new job! Wish you a smooth transition with the move.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

............... Baking is a stress reliever for me.......
      That reminds me of the time I asked Kathy if she'd like to get a bread machine. She gave me the look that every husband knows so we'll, and then yelled at me something like "No, I like beating up the dough, it releases my stress". Needless to say I vdropped the subject.
      I know a fellow professor who felt the same way about chopping firewood. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Traffic Jam wrote:

There wasn’t much of a Christmas at my house this week but I did make some pesto parmesan star bread. Baking is a stress reliever for me. I was up at 5:30, mixing up some sourdough. Now it’s time to work on packing boxes...

Wow, that looks almost too good to eat. It's art.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

Wow, a health care professional, spinning and weaving, some one who sews, a musician, a baker, a hiker, a cyclist, and maybe most important, a mother and grandmother. TJ makes me feel like a slug.
      Yeah, but has she driven a dog sled, repaired a helicopter, hiked most of the AT north of Harpers Ferry, piloted an airplane, or done voluntary AT boundary work?

We all have unique talents and experiences, that is why sharing information about them is so neat. :)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Wow, a health care professional, spinning and weaving, some one who sews, a musician, a baker, a hiker, a cyclist, and maybe most important, a mother and grandmother. TJ makes me feel like a slug.
      Yeah, but has she driven a dog sled, repaired a helicopter, hiked most of the AT north of Harpers Ferry, piloted an airplane, or done voluntary AT boundary work?
      We all have unique talents and experiences, that is why sharing information about them is so neat. :)
      I guess maybe you're right Astro.
    • Got myself this for Christmas. Never able to find an Astros hat light enough for summer hiking, so I plan have this on when I summit Katahdin. 8)
      Images
      • 20191229_140803.jpg

88.25 kB, 600×600, viewed 357 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().