Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Fitbit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• anybody use one?

i've worn a timex ironman since the mid 90's (obviously more than one!) and it meets all my needs for hiking and running.

but costco had a fitbit as one of their black friday specials which i ordered online and it just arrived yesterday. more curious than anything else.

anyone have any tips or advice?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

anybody use one?

i've worn a timex ironman since the mid 90's (obviously more than one!) and it meets all my needs for hiking and running.

but costco had a fitbit as one of their black friday specials which i ordered online and it just arrived yesterday. more curious than anything else.

Which did you get? I have been using one for four years now. Currently a Charge 2, but considering moving up to Charge 3.

Overall happy, but does not seem as accurate when hiking. On multi week trips still switch back to Casio watch.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

anybody use one?

Which did you get? I have been using one for four years now. Currently a Charge 2, but considering moving up to Charge 3.
      Overall happy, but does not seem as accurate when hiking. On multi week trips still switch back to Casio watch.
      charge 3
      2,000 miler
    • My wife upgraded to an Apple watch so I guess I'll give her old fitbit a try, she bought me one a couple of years back but I had her return because I thought I would never wear it...would like to see what it says about my sleeping habits.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

My wife upgraded to an Apple watch so I guess I'll give her old fitbit a try, she bought me one a couple of years back but I had her return because I thought I would never wear it...would like to see what it says about my sleeping habits.
      me too. i'm not sleeping as well as i used to -- i have a referral to a sleep doc -- but i'm going to see what the fitbit says first. that's not why i got it; but i'll take advantage of it's functionality.
      2,000 miler
    • I do not sleep as well as I used to, which the Fitbit confirms (my wife had already told me). Have family members that use CPAP machines. But prefer to avoid that. Just as another reason to loose weight. :/
    • fitbit rates sleep quality as:

excellent
      good
      fair
      poor

i am consistently rated as fair which is believable (although poor would not have surprised me). no way would i have believed a higher score. now will try some to make some changes and see if the score improves.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

fitbit rates sleep quality as:

excellent
      good
      fair
      poor

i am consistently rated as fair which is believable. no way would i have believed a higher score. now will try some to make some changes and see if the score improves.
      Fair is my average and mode (most frequent), but I have had some poor and good. Don't remember an excellent, perhaps I when I am bored sometime I will have to look back and check (relatively new feature, previously it just tracked hours without quality rating).
    • a couple days ago i used it at the soccer field which has a 0.50 loop. it was pretty darn accurate; the first loop measured at 0.49, and it registered just slightly above the 3.0 miles i walked.

because of the brutal cold -- 44 degrees! -- today i used it inside at the Y. i have a real consistent 16 minute per mile walking pace -- yet today according to the fitbit it took me 31 minutes to walk a single mile. i should have been real close to 2 miles at that point. so that's disappointing. the battery was low -- 15% -- so maybe that was the issue. i'll make sure it has a full charge next time i'm at the Y. in the meantime i'll see what mr. google has to say.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

Last year we took a friend on her first backpacking trip. We hiked from route 301 be (or is it 302?) To the RPH shelter. I'm not sure of the mileage, maybe 7 miles, bit her Fit Bit had some astronomical number as a step count.
      Interesting, I always get shortchanged, sometimes by 50% or more.