Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

DIY Fleece

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • I finally bit the bullet and ordered micro grid fleece to make a warm fleece layer...much like the very pricey Melanzana Hoody. I’m not copying the Melly, probably won’t even make the hoody part, but want to discover for myself if the fabric is really that awesome.

      I’m going to use the pattern for the Vuokatti Shirt.

      I bought some inexpensive fleece from Joanns for practice and hope to work on it this soggy weekend.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • I feel stupid that I haven’t given fleece more importance in my backpacking wardrobe until recently. A 100wt fleece jacket or shirt is very versatile and really makes a difference to my warmth. Having a down jacket is great but is limited to lunch stops and camp but a fleece can keep me comfortable all day, be layered under my down jacket in camp, or be worn in my sleeping bag. It’s the perfect shoulder season clothing item.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Funny thing, I just got some lightweight windblocker fleece to add a light jacket to my gear too. Mine will have a full zip front to allow me to wear it backwards with a pack on. I put a hook or snap at the collar, so I can put it on and take off as I heat up after a break.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      I feel stupid that I haven’t given fleece more importance in my backpacking wardrobe until recently. A 100wt fleece jacket or shirt is very versatile and really makes a difference to my warmth. Having a down jacket is great but is limited to lunch stops and camp but a fleece can keep me comfortable all day, be layered under my down jacket in camp, or be worn in my sleeping bag. It’s the perfect shoulder season clothing item.
      I'll wear mine over a shirt and then put my windshirt over all of it and it's probably as warm or warmer than my synthetic puffy.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:


      I'll wear mine over a shirt and then put my windshirt over all of it and it's probably as warm or warmer than my synthetic puffy.
      That's my combo, merino wool T-shirt, then a light fleece layer, and a wind jacket on top. I like a full zipper on my fleece to regulate temperature. I can hike comfortably over a wide temperature range in this and my wind jacket keeps me dry enough in a light rain.

      My old fleece is pretty ragged though. TJ, if you go into the fleece business let me know. I cannot afford a Melanzana :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • SandyofPA wrote:

      Funny thing, I just got some lightweight windblocker fleece to add a light jacket to my gear too. Mine will have a full zip front to allow me to wear it backwards with a pack on. I put a hook or snap at the collar, so I can put it on and take off as I heat up after a break.
      Do you have a favorite pattern or wing it?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • I printed out the pattern for the Vuokatti shirt. It’s 20 pages that are taped together. I was worried at first that my pages wouldn’t be taped precisely but it turned out to be easy.

      Laying the pages down on the floor and starting at the top left corner, you assemble the pages down five rows then back to the top, go down 5 rows, then back to the top, etc.

      Next I outlined the size that I plan to make.

      Here’s where I have to make a decision...cut out the paper shapes and use them to cut out my fabric or add the extra steps of transferring the pattern to tracing paper? Hmmmm.

      No brainer. Since I’m making several of these, I better transfer to tracing paper.
      Images
      • E1E23670-3E83-4CA4-9894-FC8195020B58.jpeg

        119.52 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      SandyofPA wrote:

      Funny thing, I just got some lightweight windblocker fleece to add a light jacket to my gear too. Mine will have a full zip front to allow me to wear it backwards with a pack on. I put a hook or snap at the collar, so I can put it on and take off as I heat up after a break.
      Do you have a favorite pattern or wing it?
      I have a Mcalls pattern from 2001 Father & Son fleece jacket, multi-sized, I use the boys large.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      SandyofPA wrote:

      Funny thing, I just got some lightweight windblocker fleece to add a light jacket to my gear too. Mine will have a full zip front to allow me to wear it backwards with a pack on. I put a hook or snap at the collar, so I can put it on and take off as I heat up after a break.
      Do you have a favorite pattern or wing it?
      I have a Mcalls pattern from 2001 Father & Son fleece jacket, multi-sized, I use the boys large.
      I think McCalls has been around a long time. I remember my mom and sisters sewing dresses from McCalls patterns. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

      I didn’t have enough tracing paper so decided to cut out the paper pattern. I also didn’t bother making a practice shirt. The micro-grid fleece that I ordered was so pretty, I couldn’t wait to get started.

      This pattern is simple and quick to make. I cut the fabric this morning then spent between 1-2 hrs of pinning and sewing. I only lack the collar so will finish tomorrow.

      A couple observations...

      ...fleece is very easy to cut with a rotary cutter. Last weekend I made a linen apron and it was much harder to cut through the linen.

      ... this fleece doesn’t seem to fray on the raw edge so doesn’t need a rolled hem. The directions don’t include a hem allowance although it says you can add to the measurements if hems are desired. Is this true of all fleece? I did choose to hem the bottom edge and sleeve edges.

      I was a little surprised that the medium size on this unisex shirt is a bit form-fitting on me. I expected it to be comparable to a men’s medium but it wasn’t for me. It’s still very functional but I will probably make the large size also.
      Images
      • 30F2310B-F183-4641-9878-88747C7CCEAD.jpeg

        203.23 kB, 800×600, viewed 6 times
      • D1B79022-9678-42BA-8D8E-155C6EC212E6.jpeg

        107.47 kB, 449×600, viewed 6 times
      • 6D33F3DD-4338-4935-86A9-8A7088931D59.jpeg

        187.67 kB, 737×600, viewed 7 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

    • New

      It’s really hard to photograph the true color of this shirt. The photo on the right is closer to the real color. It’s not yellow, like the other two photos but a brownish gold. I think Polartec calls it Saffron.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • New

      I really like the hood on the Melanzana hoody. It’s similar to a cowl that can be pulled up over the head. I intend to make something similar but not on this particular shirt.

      I figure if the shirt has a hood, it should function as an outer (or outerish) layer and the shirt I made is more of a base or mid layer. It may be a perfect sleeping shirt.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • New

      I finished the collar this morning. The shirt turned out really nice.

      Funny thing, on the pattern there are arrows and the word “Stretch”. I didn’t have a clue what that meant so ignored it (thought it meant to stretch the fabric when cutting which wasn’t going to happen). :)

      I sewed the collar tube and before sewing to the shirt, I tested it and it wouldn’t fit over my head, what the heck? I figured out that fleece stretches differently depending on the direction of the fabric and “Stretch” means to
      cut the fabric with the stretchier part in the direction of the arrow. I hadn’t cut the collar correctly. Luckily, the rest of the fabric was cut in the right direction.
      Images
      • DA717004-0D31-43E2-8F19-DD553C31D71D.jpeg

        44.07 kB, 450×600, viewed 5 times
      • CCD7E49C-FD18-4724-AF1A-917337C43D2E.jpeg

        79.7 kB, 450×600, viewed 6 times
      • 6728563D-2924-4B32-9C41-534DFDBAB0C2.jpeg

        289.7 kB, 800×600, viewed 6 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().