Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Thru Hikers Dressed Funny Last Century

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thru Hikers Dressed Funny Last Century

thru hikers sure used to dress funny.

"official" thru hiker photo taken at ATC in harpers ferry.

real boots
      high 100% wool ragg socks with liner (switched to thor-lo's at some point)
      100% cotton t-shirt
      external frame pack and tree limb (no "trekking poles" back then although a couple people used a single ski pole) propped up against the building outside of camera range
      my cell phone musta been in my pocket. :)

i still rock the patagonia shorts!!! (although they're a bit longer now)

[IMG:http://www.athikerpictures.org/system/pics/12545/cropped/1087ATC087.jpg?1297641600]
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Astro wrote:

Looking pretty thin there. I hope you picked up your calorie intake or you might be blow away by the wind once you hit the Whites.
      lol, i didn't get blown away, but i had a ballcap mailed to me at the mt. washington post office (which i don't think hikers can use anymore). i put it on, stepped outside -- and woooosh it was gone.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Looking pretty thin there. I hope you picked up your calorie intake or you might be blow away by the wind once you hit the Whites.
      lol, i didn't get blown away, but i had a ballcap mailed to me at the mt. washington post office (which i don't think hikers can use anymore). i put it on, stepped outside -- and woooosh it was gone.
      I didn't wear my cap coming down Mt Madison for that very reason. Strong winds on a sunny day, so I ended up with a pretty red scalp.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General