Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Shenandoah National Park: Elkwallow to Swift Run Gap

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Shenandoah National Park: Elkwallow to Swift Run Gap

Hiked this with Slingshot, Matt and Craig. My IT band on my hip flared up so I cut some of my hiking short by hitchhiking back to the truck and driving ahead. Packed in some beers for the Boyz and slackpacked them one day. We had a blast.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Sorry to hear about the IT Band issue, but hopefully a quick and full recovery. :(
      Great that you were able to get out in what looked like some good weather and made the most of it having a great time with friends. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Sorry to hear about the IT Band issue, but hopefully a quick and full recovery. :(
      Great that you were able to get out in what looked like some good weather and made the most of it having a great time with friends. :thumbup:
      Oh yeah it's already calmed back down. I should have done more prehike time on the elliptical. When my IT flares up I have to stop for 24 to 48 hours and let the inflammation subside. It's a pain in the arse- literally, and sometimes the knee too. But it worked out great as I was able to slackpack them from Rockspring hut to Lewis mountain campground and get two spots on a very busy weekend and dry out their tents for them while they hiked. We had a good fire and enjoyed a local beer made with SNP spring water and of course a little whiskey was had.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

Nice. Thanks for sharing. Maybe you hiked under my favorite tree. I think it was just south of Thornton Gap, but I'm not sure. I started at Compton Gap and hiked south to Big Meadows. On my first night I camped at a nice spot near the spring behind the Elkwallow Picnic Area.

So that is actually on the AT?
      I guess I will have to look closer next time. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Nice. Thanks for sharing. Maybe you hiked under my favorite tree. I think it was just south of Thornton Gap, but I'm not sure. I started at Compton Gap and hiked south to Big Meadows. On my first night I camped at a nice spot near the spring behind the Elkwallow Picnic Area.

So that is actually on the AT?I guess I will have to look closer next time. :)
      Yes, that is the trail going under the branch. I have an 8x10 print of that one on the wall next to my computer here in the basement. I checked my original files and can tell from the order the shots were taken, this tree is on the climb south out of Thornton gap on the way up to the St Mary's Rocks Overlook. I do recall that climb really busted my butt. It was early afternoon, but for some reason I was really out of gas. It was also Hike Naked Day. I was of course fully clothed but came across this naked hiker about 10 minutes North of Thornton Gap. He was also out of gas. His butt was parked in the middle of the trail and never moved. I had to bushwhack around him. This was the summer of 2016. It was also the day tremendous storms came through and caused much flooding in WV.