Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

gear lists

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Re:Re: gear lists

I need help trimming some weight on my set-up.
      It weighs 31lbs.
      That includes 3 days of food and water
      3 liters of wine (box wine with box removed)
      and a Walkstool Comfort 75 XXL http://www.walkstool.com/comfort
      Where can I trim some weight?
      Or do I even need to?
      Is this a good weight for this set-up?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

It weighs 31lbs.
      and a Walkstool Comfort 75 XXL
      Or do I even need to?

get rid of the pack. you have everything else you need.
      its all good

milkman wrote:

It weighs 31lbs.
      Or do I even need to?

Keep the wine, ditch the food and water.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

It weighs 31lbs.
      Or do I even need to?

I was thinking the same thing. The wine has to last for 3 days. Only 2 really because the first night's wine and cheese and crackers and sausage is already cached at the first camp sight so there's the first meal too. And on the 3rd afternoon we are hiking into a beer and wine and chili dinner. So we can top off there again for the 4th night. On the 5th day we hike past the store and restaurant and top off again for that night. And on the 6th day we hike into town for lunch.
      I think you're right about ditching the food and water.

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

It weighs 31lbs.
      Or do I even need to?

I was thinking the same thing. The wine has to last for 3 days. Only 2 really because the first night's wine and cheese and crackers and sausage is already cached at the first camp sight so there's the first meal too. And on the 3rd afternoon we are hiking into a beer and wine and chili dinner. So we can top off there again for the 4th night. On the 5th day we hike past the store and restaurant and top off again for that night. And on the 6th day we hike into town for lunch.

Doing a lot of research on Camino Frances at the moment.
      Appears one of the best features is you don't really have to carry food, just a bit of drinking water.
      Even the wine type options are well catered for.
      At one point you walk past a winery and there is a spigot fountain on the side where you can have some of their wine.
      Annie is planning a long break there.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

BirdBrain wrote:

Exercise more.

That's what this is all about. A break from the exercise routine and a test of the knees. I'm down 29lbs. since mid Nov. I'm hoping this hike will take me over the 30lb. loss mark. It's gonna be hot (at least to me) so I'm hoping to sweat a little bit more off. I'm halfway there BB. 30 down 30 to go.

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

It weighs 31lbs.
      Or do I even need to?

Appears one of the best features is you don't really have to carry food, just a bit of drinking water.
      At one point you walk past a winery and there is a spigot fountain on the side where you can have some of their wine.

Maybe even stealth camp for a night. :)

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

It weighs 31lbs.
      Or do I even need to?

Maybe even stealth camp for a night. :)

There is an element of "don't be a glutton" and it is supposed to be a "pilgimage" not a hike.
      You're also on a webcam (although not working at the moment - 2nd in the following selection).
      http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/webcams/
    • hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

OK I'll show you mine, you show me yours: www.geargrams.com/list?id=17799

i notice you didnt make your own socks.
      darn tough rules.
      what kind of shoes are you making?

I either wear Keen's Voyagers or Brooks Cascadia. I did make some camp shoes by glueing cuben to flipflop soles, but they made mt feet sweat so it's back to crocks. My socks are darn tough except for my sleeping socks.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

darn tough rules.

I either wear Keen's Voyagers or Brooks Cascadia. I did make some camp shoes by glueing cuben to flipflop soles, but they made mt feet sweat so it's back to crocks. My socks are darn tough except for my sleeping socks.
      you know its unamerican to not be buying overpriced gear designed primarily for tourists.and it annoys me you achieve the same comfort with 4.5 less lbs.
      and,besides,without all the labels, how will people know youre a real hiker and not a vagabond.
      can you carry an extra block of cheddah?just to balance out the excessive weight loss?
      nice list.
      its all good
    • Re:Re: gear lists

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

darn tough rules.

you know its unamerican to not be buying overpriced gear designed primarily for tourists.and it annoys me you achieve the same comfort with 4.5 less lbs.
      and,besides,without all the labels, how will people know youre a real hiker and not a vagabond.
      can you carry an extra block of cheddah?just to balance out the excessive weight loss?
      nice list.

I know I am doing it all wrong. Hey I have been known to carry a little WT honey or Tenn honey. I have just discovered Jr Johnson apple pie moonshine and that stuff is delicious . It is going in the pack, anyone else tried it?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

darn tough rules.

nice list.

I know I am doing it all wrong. Hey I have been known to carry a little WT honey or Tenn honey. I have just discovered Jr Johnson apple pie moonshine and that stuff is delicious . It is going in the pack, anyone else tried it?

No but I am guilty of spending a fortune getting gear 200gms lighter and then throwing several pounds of fruit in the pack on a whim....

OzJacko wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

darn tough rules.

nice list.

No but I am guilty of spending a fortune getting gear 200gms lighter and then throwing several pounds of fruit in the pack on a whim....

Hey that is me too. I never leave town without an apple and a footlong sub and a fistful of stickers.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

I am serious when I say POUNDS of fruit.
      As many as 8 mandarins (clementines), a couple of apples and bananas etc at one time.
      Also usually pack some coke.
      1 time in New Jersey I froze 4 small (8oz) bottles of water in fridge, wrapped them tight in some newspaper with a can of coke (1 bottle per coke). At camp that night IM and I had cold coke and water that still had ice.

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

milkman wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Snickers taste much better than stickers .

Yeah but you could put the stickers all over the shelters.

Get ones made that say "RIFLE"....
      :evil:

I've been writing OZ waz here 2013 on every shelter I pass

Thanks.
      I missed a few by sleeping in hotels.....