Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

gear lists

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• okay, im pretty much set for my trip.im not listing weights, because i really dont give a crap how much an individual item weighs, so long as my kit has what i need and i need what i have.
      tent- lightheart solong6 w/awning. tyvek groundcloth.titanium stakes.
      pack- osprey atmos50
      cover-sea to summit
      bag- winter:big agnes lost ranger15
      summer-western mountaineering highlite
      pad- neoair xtherm
      -----
      1st aid kit
      --6 2x5 bandaids 4 blister patches,4 butterfly closures,1 tube neosporin.advil,aleve, stormproof matches,aquamira,dr bronners, travel toothbrush.
      -toilet paper,hand sanitizer
      -sawyer mini 2-1qt sawyer bags, 1-2l platypus bladder, 1 smartwater bottle.
      -pocket rocket
      -gsi soloist cookset, except i swapped out the pot for a snowpeak titanium pot, kept the cup,plastic lid and sink/sack it comes in.
      -pot scraper
      -long aluminum spoon
      bandanna,hand towel
      headlamp,spare batteries
      -phone,nook, charger,usb cord.
      -compass,at guide, bmt guide, maps for bmt.
      its all good
    • clothing:

columbia omnidri wicking t shirt
      patagonia capilene midweight zip neck
      ems polartec microfleece
      ems polartec micro puffy pullover
      marmot mica rain/wind jkt
      marmot scree softshell pants
      rei sahara nylon lightweight pants
      mountain hardwear quik dry shorts with liner
      ems polartec merino long johns and top
      ems l/s poly/cotton t shirt
      2-rei boxer briefs
      3pr. darn tough socks
      fleece hat
      lasher cap
      buff
      marmot driclime gloves
      lasportiva ultraraptors
      survival bracelet
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

okay, im pretty much set for my trip.im not listing weights, because i really dont give a crap how much an individual item weighs, so long as my kit has what i need and i need what i have.
      pack- osprey atmos50
      cover-sea to summit
      pad- neoair xtherm
      -----
      1st aid kit
      --6 2x5 bandaids 4 blister patches,4 butterfly closures,1 tube neosporin.advil,aleve, stormproof matches,aquamira,dr bronners, travel toothbrush.
      -pocket rocket
      -gsi soloist cookset, except i swapped out the pot for a snowpeak titanium pot, kept the cup,plastic lid and sink/sack it comes in.
      -pot scraper
      -long aluminum spoon
      bandanna,hand towel
      headlamp,spare batteries

Are you brushing with the bronners? Any petroleum jelly?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

okay, im pretty much set for my trip.im not listing weights, because i really dont give a crap how much an individual item weighs, so long as my kit has what i need and i need what i have.
      pack- osprey atmos50
      cover-sea to summit
      pad- neoair xtherm
      -----
      1st aid kit
      -pocket rocket
      -pot scraper
      -long aluminum spoon
      bandanna,hand towel
      headlamp,spare batteries

Are you brushing with the bronners? Any petroleum jelly?

bronners works fine, and i would never brush with petroleum jelly anyway
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

pack- osprey atmos50,compactor bag for liner
      cover-sea to summit
      pad- neoair xtherm
      b.d.trekking poles
      -----
      1st aid kit
      -pocket rocket
      -pot scraper
      -long aluminum spoon
      bandanna,hand towel
      headlamp,spare batteries

needed to add the poles and liner
      its all good
    • Thank you so much for this list. I love to study what other people are doing. The longer I look and the more I study, the more there is hope that I will see the reasoning of those who have done it more and thus save myself the pain of the lessons that brought about such a list.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Thank you so much for this list. I love to study what other people are doing. The longer I look and the more I study, the more there is hope that I will see the reasoning of those who have done it more and thus save myself the pain of the lessons that brought about such a list.

He's doing it wrong, there's no pooper scooper and no knitting bag.

gif.015
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Thank you so much for this list. I love to study what other people are doing. The longer I look and the more I study, the more there is hope that I will see the reasoning of those who have done it more and thus save myself the pain of the lessons that brought about such a list.

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine

I will ask IM to send you a manual on sphincter control.
      gif.013
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine

Dual purpose, digging holes and knitting needles.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: gear lists

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine

gif.013
      at my age that's probably not a good idea
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: gear lists

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine

gif.013

Depends
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: gear lists

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine

gif.013

Depends

eggzackly
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

credit card???????
      gif.005
      debit.
      i dont see any sense in borrowing money just to go walk in the woods.i run out of money,i go home

That is an EPIC Post brother 49.gif .. Now, just wondering if ur "coming out" now that you plan to do it right... I think you have been doing it right for a long time... Deff not "judging" tho... gif.010
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.015
      tent stakes work fine

gif.013

Depends... NM 2.gif
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • hikerboy wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

pack- osprey atmos50,compactor bag for liner
      cover-sea to summit
      pad- neoair xtherm
      b.d.trekking poles
      -----
      1st aid kit
      --6 2x5 bandaids 4 blister patches,4 butterfly closures,1 tube neosporin.advil,aleve, stormproof matches,aquamira,dr bronners, travel toothbrush.nail clippers
      -pocket rocket
      -pot scraper
      -long aluminum spoon
      bandanna,hand towel
      headlamp,spare batteries

needed to add the poles and liner

and nail clippers
      its all good

HB-
      Not sure if you ever tried Leukotape? amazon.com/1-5-INCH-Leukotape-…6-2906013-8018660 http://

It has replaced all my tapes, moleskins, etc. I didn't see repair items on your list- but I bring about a half roll of leukotape these days. I roll it on a mini bic to keep some handy for any hot spots or small cuts. I roll the rest of the half roll on a drinking straw with about 60yds of 2" gauze to make up my first aid kit. Just cut bandy aids to size as needed. Thread a needle with a few yards of thread, stick it in a paper match or cardboard and wrap the thread around it and shove it in the straw with a few safety pins. Repair kit/first aid kit covered.

Found some nice shammies for good price and size at Trader Joe's recently.

Otherwise I'd be very excited for you if I wasn't about to kill you in a blinding jealous rage. 52.gif 49.gif

Just Bill wrote:

HB-
      Not sure if you ever tried Leukotape? amazon.com/1-5-INCH-Leukotape-…6-2906013-8018660 http://

It has replaced all my tapes, moleskins, etc. I didn't see repair items on your list- but I bring about a half roll of leukotape these days. I roll it on a mini bic to keep some handy for any hot spots or small cuts. I roll the rest of the half roll on a drinking straw with about 60yds of 2" gauze to make up my first aid kit. Just cut bandy aids to size as needed. Thread a needle with a few yards of thread, stick it in a paper match or cardboard and wrap the thread around it and shove it in the straw with a few safety pins. Repair kit/first aid kit covered.

Found some nice shammies for good price and size at Trader Joe's recently.

Otherwise I'd be very excited for you if I wasn't about to kill you in a blinding jealous rage. 52.gif 49.gif

yeah,well i still need to make a lot of money if im going to completely hike thru to maine.im way behind, and although i can still raise enough by my start date,ive decided not to worry about it nad just hike as long as my money holds out.if im out 3,4 or 5 months, makes little difference. im always coming back for more anyway.

i have not seen this leukotape you speak of. tell me, where might i peruse such tape?and why does it sound sick?
      its all good

http://www.amazon.com/1-5-INCH-Leukotape-Sportstape-76168/dp/B000GCPWI2/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1/186-2906013-8018660
      Amazon is an easy spot- but a good sports store, running shop, etc may have some locally.

It's cloth tape for taping ankles, but it actually sticks to things. Basically band-aid tape before all the crybabies got involved and got more worried about band-aids being "ouchless" rather than being functional first aid devices. But hey- if you're bandaids didn't fall off you wouldn't need to buy so many- god bless america.

It sounds sick because it is made by taking regular tape and then having genetically engineered animals (species undisclosed) chew up people named Luke and puke them up on the tape. The dried Luke Puke is then rolled and cut to size.

Did I see a 14k budget in there somewhere...

Not that you ever want to hear it- but when money is tight you can always lighten up and go faster...

Just saying...

Georgia or all the way- it's still more than I will get to go so it's all good except for my blinding jealous rage- but that's my problem. Who knows- with this winter there may be a run on the dealerships for four wheel drive big commission vehicles when tax returns start coming in.

Just Bill wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/1-5-INCH-Leukotape-Sportstape-76168/dp/B000GCPWI2/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1/186-2906013-8018660
      Amazon is an easy spot- but a good sports store, running shop, etc may have some locally.

It's cloth tape for taping ankles, but it actually sticks to things. Basically band-aid tape before all the crybabies got involved and got more worried about band-aids being "ouchless" rather than being functional first aid devices. But hey- if you're bandaids didn't fall off you wouldn't need to buy so many- god bless america.

It sounds sick because it is made by taking regular tape and then having genetically engineered animals (species undisclosed) chew up people named Luke and puke them up on the tape. The dried Luke Puke is then rolled and cut to size.

Did I see a 14k budget in there somewhere...

Not that you ever want to hear it- but when money is tight you can always lighten up and go faster...

Just saying...

Georgia or all the way- it's still more than I will get to go so it's all good except for my blinding jealous rage- but that's my problem. Who knows- with this winter there may be a run on the dealerships for four wheel drive big commission vehicles when tax returns start coming in.

im figuring 4 1/2 months. i could probably do it on 4, but im 57,.not 37, and have no idea how my body would hold up over that period of time.16-18 mpd is my comfort zone,unless its over flat terrain, but i like to be conservative when it comes to planning, as im rather impulsive by nature.if i feel good i hike longer. if not, the days are shorter.
      im not looking to race through the hike to say i did it, im looking to hike for the hike.it is looking more and more that finances are going to be a factor, so im not gonna sweat it. ill be out for months, and thats great to me.
      its all good

I know- which is why it's fun to poke fun, which is why we're here mainly I believe.

An honest question as I kinda know but don't know- Did you feel you got up to full blown "trail legs"? You may surprise yourself.

Other than that- in all seriousness- skipping towns is the best way to stay out longer- lightening up is the best way to carry extra food to accomplish that goal.

Starting a bit later tends to let you move faster too (and save more bucks), with the weather this winter that is going to be a bigger deal than normal and nothing sucks funds faster than wallowing in the snow, cold, and the accompanying town stops. If you're not likely to finish, why not start in May when the worst has passed since you aren't fighting the Katahdin calender? Your natural pace will carry you further in May than it would in April despite hitting new trail you've experienced the early spring start- May down south is pretty damn breathtaking. 4 1/2 months leaves you racing a bit but you could still make it to big K just on the simple fact you didn't burn an extra few weeks floundering down south.

I know you're pretty well set with what you want to do- but two honest offers if you want them-
      All my speedy research has left me with a decent list of alternative sources of resupply since I was looking at the no hitching angle and I'd be happy to help you review some options if you wanted. Lots of little "bonus food" floating around that I was looking at to stretch my carried food a bit to take me from walkable town to walkable town.

With a newborn on the way- I won't be using much gear. Upgrading to lighter stuff isn't expensive if you borrow it.

Sorry to butt in- I know you know your stuff and more importantly know yourself- you probably need advice like Pepe needs another encounter with Starfail's dog. You'll have a great time finish or not, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't offer to help.

Just Bill wrote:

I know- which is why it's fun to poke fun, which is why we're here mainly I believe.

An honest question as I kinda know but don't know- Did you feel you got up to full blown "trail legs"? You may surprise yourself.

Other than that- in all seriousness- skipping towns is the best way to stay out longer- lightening up is the best way to carry extra food to accomplish that goal.

Starting a bit later tends to let you move faster too (and save more bucks), with the weather this winter that is going to be a bigger deal than normal and nothing sucks funds faster than wallowing in the snow, cold, and the accompanying town stops. If you're not likely to finish, why not start in May when the worst has passed since you aren't fighting the Katahdin calender? Your natural pace will carry you further in May than it would in April despite hitting new trail you've experienced the early spring start- May down south is pretty damn breathtaking. 4 1/2 months leaves you racing a bit but you could still make it to big K just on the simple fact you didn't burn an extra few weeks floundering down south.

I know you're pretty well set with what you want to do- but two honest offers if you want them-
      All my speedy research has left me with a decent list of alternative sources of resupply since I was looking at the no hitching angle and I'd be happy to help you review some options if you wanted. Lots of little "bonus food" floating around that I was looking at to stretch my carried food a bit to take me from walkable town to walkable town.

With a newborn on the way- I won't be using much gear. Upgrading to lighter stuff isn't expensive if you borrow it.

Sorry to butt in- I know you know your stuff and more importantly know yourself- you probably need advice like Pepe needs another encounter with Starfail's dog. You'll have a great time finish or not, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't offer to help.

no worries, but for me, its all about the journey. finishing the trail is kind of a side bonus. i like to take each day as it comes when im out. im an opportunist and if the right opportunity came along, i might not come home.im not going to overthink my resupply, ill just take it from one stop to the next. makes it a bit more of a challenge. i dont want to leave any later, i had thought of working longer and starting later, maybe sobo, but no, id rather do the benton mackaye, and head north to damascus for trail days. we'll see where i go from there.its really not about the destination. ive climbed katahdin 4 times.
      i know if i planned it out as you suggest and lose some weight , i could do it in under 4 months. i dont know, again, how my body would hold up with a 20+mpd.average.
      id rather just go hike for a few months and see what life brings me.i dont need the challenge of wondering if i could finish. if i have the money, i will finish.but im going to enjoy the ride, regardless.
      its all good