Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Want to Buy a Hostel?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Last month, I saw firsthand what it's like to run a hostel. No thank you. This was at the Rattle River Hostel...

My shuttle driver had just pulled out of their property when she saw one of the other shuttle drivers returning from a drop-off - She pulled a U-turn to catch up with him and asked if he had collected $100 from Hiker XYZ who had just been dropped off at the airport. The other driver said no.

Hiker XYZ had promised to hit an ATM so he could pay for his 'getting off the trail' shuttle the day before and his 'take me to the airport' shuttle that morning. When the 2nd driver forgot to ask for the previous day's shuttle fee, hiker XYZ didn't hesitate to skip town without paying for both shuttles. That scum. That bag of scum. Scumbag!

Don't even get me started on the hiker who bragged about dropping her spare change (less than a dollar) into Bob People's donation jar after he drove her into town and back. "He loves hikers - he doesn't do it for the money."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• $42.00 may have been a bit high for a hostel stay but I'd do it again in a heart beat, good group of hikers there when I stayed, quite a bit better than the Relax Inn in Atkins for about the same price....and I didn't keep thinking something was crawling on me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

$42.00 may have been a bit high for a hostel stay but I'd do it again in a heart beat, good group of hikers there when I stayed, quite a bit better than the Relax Inn in Atkins for about the same price....and I didn't keep thinking something was crawling on me.
      I remember walking into that place. It was like the Bates motel. ;(
      It really looked like it was closed, but it wasn't.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

$42.00 may have been a bit high for a hostel stay but I'd do it again in a heart beat, good group of hikers there when I stayed, quite a bit better than the Relax Inn in Atkins for about the same price....and I didn't keep thinking something was crawling on me.
      And I was foolish enough to stay there twice. I slept in my silk liner. Didn't trust those sheets.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I do have one fond memory of Atkins, when I hit the highway I looked left and right and saw that big red barn on the hill to the right with the scent of greasy burgers floating my way, headed up the hill and saw a young lady from the trail in a window, we waved to each other and I went in to join her, I spent about 90 minutes eating and talking to her, she had injured her achiles and was waiting for a shuttle to Woods Hole in hopes of recovering in a week, 20 miles in 2 feet of snow the day before probably got her, thought it had gotten me, really hated to see her come off the trail, strong hiker, the day I met her a middle aged hiker at the shelter pointed to her and said " see that girl there, when she leaves here in the morning non of these young bucks will catch her tomorrow", he was right, I love to see women beat men at their own game...except for me of course...that would be embarrassing.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • abrahamlincoln1854 wrote:

Remember the Boston Tea Party in 1770?

Think about all the foreign cargo merchandise vessels on the high seas and massive 18 wheel trucks bringing cheap merchandise and goods into America for sale in 2020. A person might think that the Boston Tea Party protesters during the American Revolution would aim directly for the city of London in this war, since the year now is 1772 rather than 2020. Think about how many billionaires and zillionaires are walking around America today with unlimited electronic money on their smart phones, and also are able to buy any skyscraper or mansion they see in the world on a whim with just a touch of several buttons on their smart phones. It's easy to see how many people might perceive the zillionaire crisis in America to be a problem....
      WTF ?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • In 1854 Abraham Lincoln made a 3 hour speech in Peoria (at the risk of oversimplifying) opposing the Kansas-Nebraska act and attacking the morality of slavery saying it should not be extended. This speech vaulted him from obscurity into the thick of national politics and the future history of the country was changed. :)
      2,000 miler
    • abrahamlincoln1854 wrote:

Remember the Boston Tea Party in 1770?

Think about all the foreign cargo merchandise vessels on the high seas and massive 18 wheel trucks bringing cheap merchandise and goods into America for sale in 2020. A person might think that the Boston Tea Party protesters during the American Revolution would aim directly for the city of London in this war, since the year now is 1772 rather than 2020. Think about how many billionaires and zillionaires are walking around America today with unlimited electronic money on their smart phones, and also are able to buy any skyscraper or mansion they see in the world on a whim with just a touch of several buttons on their smart phones. It's easy to see how many people might perceive the zillionaire crisis in America to be a problem....
      The hikers at whiteblaze.net are interested in posts like this. Please post this over there. The heart and soul of that website is a hiker who calls himself Dogwood. Please ask him to comment to get the discussion going.
      2,000 miler