Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Watauga Lake Shelter Removed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Stayed there on April 2nd of 2016 during the brief re-opening. It was just Sox and I until six thrus popped in. I still correspond with one of those thrus (Northstar). Good times.

I seriously though that the bear encounter stories and closure were made up and that the real problem was with locals partying there. Looks like I was wrong. Adios, WLS.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • That's been a problem area for a while. Even when I stayed at Boots Off Hostel about a half mile away we had an aggressive bear running back and forth just on the other side of the fence for a while. It was the only time I ever felt threatened by a bear.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • i didn't stay there -- started at white rocks fire tower 13 miles south (which i don't see listed in my current trail data so maybe it doesn't exist anymore?) and finished at vendeventer shelter 7 miles north.

i did take a break at the lake where i met one of the "names" of the trail -- duffel bag tim.

duffel bag tim did not use a pack -- he used 2 duffel bags which he tied together. one rested on his back, one rested on his chest. odd looking!

edit to add: google sez...the trail was relocated off of the summit and no longer goes by the fire tower. but that's a moot point; the fire tower was in poor condition and was dismantled sometime in the early 2000's.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().