Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Let's talk quilts

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I considered this also, but I move a lot in my sleep and read that not make you a good candidate as you would wiggle out of the quilt.
      So I ended up going with the Western Mountaineering HighLite, which is 16oz and rated 35*.

If a quilt works for you it might allow you to go even lighter and be more flexible for things like doubling up in the winter.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I tried to get an accurate weight but all I had to use is an old spring scale.
      I weighed my 3 season sleeping bag, rated at 25 degrees, and it came out at 1 pound 14 ounces.
      If I get a 40 or 45 degree rated bag or quilt I think I can save almost a pound right there.
      I don't want more gear but I sure would like to lighten my pack.
      Maybe the 3 season bag should go on to another home, we'll see.
    • LIHikers,

I use my quilts hammocking, so I may not have considered all the implications for a ground dweller.

I use both a top and under quilt, so no real weight savings for me. But, on the ground in warmer weather I could see a top quilt and a thin insulating pad working and resulting in weight savings.

I have my top quilt customized to be 2-4 inches wider than some of the standard widths. I got tired of rolling over in the middle of the night and being woken up by a rush of cold air coming in on the side of my quilt. Probably less of a concern in the summer, but for me the extra width has made all the difference.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I have a 40 deg long wide UG Quilt which I like very much for ground sleeping on warm weather trips. I think quilts are good for people who toss and turn as they are not restrictive at all. I can roll over and the quilt is still on top of me, rather than me getting tangled up in a sleeping bag. Temp adjustment is also easy. No zipping up or down or crawling in or crawling out if you are too cold or too hot. I can't say that I do or do not wake up at night due to a cold blast,. I don't really notice or mind as I rarely sleep through the night when camping anyway. I'm more likely to awake from stiff joints or things that go bump in the night or the call of nature. I tend to be a side sleeper and like to curl up in a bit a fetal position and pull the quilt over my head. This is why I got the long-wide quilt. Some quilt literature expects you to size them to come up to your neck and then have a hoot for your head. That doesn't work for me. Some say too much moisture will build up if you pull the quilt over your head, but that has not been a problem for me. I have found it important for me to have a wide pad. The normal 20" wide inflatables are not wide enough. my arms will fall off the side and get cold.
    • Quilts now come with straps that are adjustable, allowing you to connect the quilt to your pad and cinch in the sides as tight as you want. Works great. See the Enlightened Equipment web site for info. I also have a thermarest vesper quilt that has straps
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference