Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Saco River Kayaking Trip

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Saco River Kayaking Trip

Just a few photos from a Saco River Kayaking trip I did with my wife. Conway, NH to Fryeburg, ME, 17 miles. It was a single overnight trip because that is all I can get my wife to do with me, after that she demands hot showers and soft beds.

This part of the Saco is a flat water river.

There was a huge raft of Merganser ducklings, I think these were Common Mergansers.

It was a nice, hot, sunny day, so the first part of the trip the river was clogged with people floating on tubes and drinking beer. Once we got past them, however, we had the river to ourselves. We were the only people who went past the first takeout that day as far as I could tell. The Saco has lots of sandbars you can pull up on for camping. This is where we spent the night. Would have had a nice fire that night except some dumb-ass forgot the matches :)

We pulled out the next day about noon and waited for our pickup. It was a good trip, got to camp with the wife which is a rare thing.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • looks like a nice trip; good photos.

we did something similar once; 2 day, 1 night canoe trip down the suwannee river in florida not far from the florida/georgia line. plenty of sand bars to choose from.

all of my other canoe camping trips were thru the okefenokee swamp; usually 3 days 2 nights (one was a day longer). no sand bars in the swamp, though. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

looks like a nice trip; good photos.

we did something similar once; 2 day, 1 night canoe trip down the suwannee river in florida not far from the florida/georgia line. plenty of sand bars to choose from.

all of my other canoe camping trips were thru the okefenokee swamp; usually 3 days 2 nights (one was a day longer). no sand bars in the swamp, though. :)
      Suwannee River brings back memories. FL State Song and we would always sing it as kids as we crossed over it on vacations. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

looks like a nice trip; good photos.

Suwannee River brings back memories. FL State Song and we would always sing it as kids as we crossed over it on vacations. :)
      lol, yeah, when you're on I-75 and you see that sign when you cross the river that song always pops up in your head.
      2,000 miler
    • I shared this with my wife and she got a little twinkle in her eye. "That looks like fun."

Thanks for the trip report.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • A week or two ago we took our dog for the first time. She loved it.
      You’ve got me excited for my trip coming up in a week and a half. My wife and our dog are heading to Chicamauga Lake in Tn for a week. We’re taking our pop up camper and we have a lake front site at a campground. We’re taking our kayaks so the pop up works better for towing.
      Images
      • CFC23E84-7C24-4ABB-B7C5-2E1E860E28BD.jpeg

99.68 kB, 450×600, viewed 305 times
      • 8C900AED-4F3E-41D0-83A1-50F96D68280B.jpeg

82.34 kB, 450×600, viewed 293 times
      • 3C0C4D8E-9297-493A-9E1A-ADA86593E611.jpeg

217.92 kB, 800×600, viewed 305 times