Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

To write or not.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• To write or not.

With my free time been kicking around idea of writing a book on long distance hiking. Been thinking about it for years. It wouldn't be a hike my way. More of explaning different ways. Do you think there is a need in the internet age? Most books I have seen recently are more "Hike my way! It's the only way it can be done!!!" A woman actually published one on how to hike the AT after bailing at Gatlinburg!

I know I have to do a lot of research into things, methods I have never or briefly used like hammocks & alcohol stoves. I plan on looking to members here for that & other stuff along with my own experiments.

What's your opinion?
    • To write or not.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

With my free time been kicking around idea of writing a book on long distance hiking. Been thinking about it for years. It wouldn't be a hike my way. More of explaning different ways. Do you think there is a need in the internet age? Most books I have seen recently are more "Hike my way! It's the only way it can be done!!!" A woman actually published one on how to hike the AT after bailing at Gatlinburg!

I know I have to do a lot of research into things, methods I have never or briefly used like hammocks & alcohol stoves. I plan on looking to members here for that & other stuff along with my own experiments.

What's your opinion?

I have to admit I copy and pasted your info on winter hiking into my 'notes'. You have a lot to offer.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: Re:To write or not.

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Sounds good to me. I wish I could write or had something to write about. Wake, work, poo, eat and repeat.

You don't wake and then poo and go to work?
      There you go doing it all wrong again.

First cup of coffee is usually at work
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • To write or not.

MM, while I believe the books you are describing would be good book and probably have a large audience, I personally would prefer you write a book more about your personal experiences. Just from the tidbits we have picked up on in the Cafe, you life has been a true adventure, that definitely be a fascinating read!

So perhaps like Al Stump writing two books at the same time about Ty Cobb, you could also write two at the same time. The Hiking one you describe above and another about the Adventures of Mountain Mike (even if you have to change some of the details like names to protect people). The great thing about writing two books at the same is if things get slow and dry up on, you can jump to the other for a while.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: To write or not.

Astro wrote:

MM, while I believe the books you are describing would be good book and probably have a large audience, I personally would prefer you write a book more about your personal experiences. Just from the tidbits we have picked up on in the Cafe, you life has been a true adventure, that definitely be a fascinating read!

So perhaps like Al Stump writing two books at the same time about Ty Cobb, you could also write two at the same time. The Hiking one you describe above and another about the Adventures of Mountain Mike (even if you have to change some of the details like names to protect people). The great thing about writing two books at the same is if things get slow and dry up on, you can jump to the other for a while.

108% agree
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • To write or not.

Astro wrote:

My plan is to put tibits of relevant hiking expeinces in it when appropriate. Give it a real touch as opposed to generic how to.
    • To write or not.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

So, as a novice hiker what things would you be most concerned about? Or as a not so novice backpacker, same question.

This may take me a few days and multiple posts to answer :)

Even though here it's a joke, when I first started backpacking I worried about doing everything wrong and looking like a fool. Since I've done everything wrong and looked like a fool so much, it doesn't bother me anymore.

So, what was important to me in the beginning?

1 The big four
      2 Health and safety
      3 Food
      4 Knowing what I'm physically capable of
      5 Shelter (this is last because I learned to backpack in the Smokies and always relied on shelters. I didn't buy my first tent until last year)

Now that I have some experience;

1 Winter hiking/ extreme weather hiking (drenching rain, lightning, snow, cold, heat) and all that comes with it
      2 Solo hiking and staying safe
      3 More advanced map reading and learning to use a compass
      4 Advanced equipment ( for more extreme weather circumstances)

I'm sure I'll think of more
    • To write or not.

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

So, as a novice hiker what things would you be most concerned about? Or as a not so novice backpacker, same question.

Even though here it's a joke, when I first started backpacking I worried about doing everything wrong and looking like a fool. Since I've done everything wrong and looked like a fool so much, it doesn't bother me anymore.

1 The big four
      2 Health and safety
      3 Food
      5 Shelter (this is last because I learned to backpack in the Smokies and always relied on shelters. I didn't buy my first tent until last year)

1 Winter hiking/ extreme weather hiking (drenching rain, lightning, snow, cold, heat) and all that comes with it

Please keep it coming. I plan to address mostof your points. Debating how much to get into map & compass. I am a firm believer of knowing how to use them & am surprised on how many hikers can't.
    • To write or not.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

1 The big four
      2 Health and safety
      3 Food

Please keep it coming. I plan to address mostof your points. Debating how much to get into map & compass. I am a firm believer of knowing how to use them & am surprised on how many hikers can't.

Started out with maps and compass, but nearly 700 miles on the AT I have not needed them. Now on other trails they have helped me out big time and made me grateful for all the time I have spent as a volunteer leader in BSA.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • To write or not.

On the PCT I found my BSA map & compass skils invaluable. I can walk & naviate with a topo. I would go for most part of a day & never see trail or markers. I had to know where the trail went. Eventually we would find a snow free spot here or there that we saw the trailbead to confirm we were doing it right. Kinda why I want to make it more generic. AT is easy & forgiving.in many ways.
    • To write or not.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

1 The big four
      2 Health and safety
      3 Food

I don't know how to use one :blush: but intend to learn so I can hike the BMT.
      I love reading about people's experiences...it's another way to learn.
    • To write or not.

One of my best days on the PCT turned into my worst. Did a quick resupply/laundry/ lunch at authentic thai place & then local beer in an old saloon. Got a ride back to the trail in a few minutes. Stoped at a great vista & I was trying to teach Michele how to orient a map & read countours of it. Then noticed the clouds moving in. Not much of a consern since we planned on stopping at the great campsite the guidebook mentiond a mile farther. I guess out timing was good since we scared the bear away from our packs about 20' behind us before he got in the. High tail it to the campsite. It was all the guidebook stated, just under 6" of water! Trail kept disappearing under snow so at times it became map & compass work.

At times postholing to my crotch in the snow, cursing, Michelle is like doesn't the rain & added waterfalls make it so much more pretty! I'm more concered about getting to a sheltered camping spot off the ridge & tried to keep my cursing to myself, I did enought to generate bady heat. Bailed off the ridge & did find a decent site for the night.
    • To write or not.

Many of the hikes I did as a young man did not involve a trail. We would head down a stream for 7 miles or so, get our bearings, consider the terrain, and then hike out. Walking trails is an entirely different matter. I would think it would be logical to keep the 2 subjects separate. It takes differing equipment and skill sets to hike where there are trails and where there are no trails. Most trail hikers would not do well hiking in vast acreage. It is best for those people to know how to stay on the trail or find it if they lose the trail.

Just my opinion.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • To write or not.

Astro wrote:

I think it's a great idea Mike, and I'd read it. Another way of doing what Astro is suggesting is to use foot notes. Colin Fletcher in many of his works used a lot of foot notes, to me they read almost like a separate book altogether...in so much as the content was very plentiful, and told a whole story in and of itself...if a person was aiken to just read the foot notes...I was and did. I also like back stories to interjected personal experience. Good luck, look forward to seeing it progress. I think you'd do great.
    • To write or not.

When I started hiking, I went to the library but found the books were dated so all my info has been by googling specific questions...what to do in lightning, how to choose a sleeping pad, etc.. All useful stuff but it's the situational info that has helped the most, i.e reading what people have done in a similar situation.

Example: the first time I was caught in lightning, I was 1.5 miles from my car. I was scared ****less, it seemed the lightning was all around me, I had read that you needed to take off the pack and hunker down. I wasn't far from the car, I didn't know what was best.

Another: idiotically decided to hike and overnight on the hottest day of the year, 100+ with high humidity. Ran out of water halfway to my camp, do I turn around or keep going?

What do you do when two guys in your shelter are about to get in a fist fight?

What do you do when some guy tells you he's "going to string you up"?
    • To write or not.

Given how many books are written by people with just a cursory understanding on a subject, your book is a needful thing. You are in a position to speak with authority on the subject. I would definitely buy it. I might even get you to personally inscribe it, "To my blogging buddy, BirdBrain (.177). Mountain Mike.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • To write or not.

[/quote]

I love reading about people's experiences...it's another way to learn.[/quote]

I don't know how to use a compass either. I was web surfing earlier and found that the LLBean close to me is having a compass/map class in a week or two. I plan on checking it out. I was impressed -- doesn't take much :) -- when one of the ladies I was hiking with took out her compass, put it on the map and said ... I think we missed the trail we were supposed to turn on by about a 1/2 mile. She was right. This was winter hiking in Harriman last year ... leaving the Big Hill Shelter in snow.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • To write or not.

I think it's a great idea to write a book. I'd buy it. I have so many hiking books, but most of them are AT hikers books ... AWOL, the barefoot sisters, etc. I have a couple of books on backpacking from the 70's and Ray Jardine's book. I read anything & everything and try to learn from them all! Good Luck ... you should do it!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • To write or not.

I love reading about people's experiences...it's another way to learn.[/quote]

I don't know how to use a compass either. I was web surfing earlier and found that the LLBean close to me is having a compass/map class in a week or two. I plan on checking it out. I was impressed -- doesn't take much :) -- when one of the ladies I was hiking with took out her compass, put it on the map and said ... I think we missed the trail we were supposed to turn on by about a 1/2 mile. She was right. This was winter hiking in Harriman last year ... leaving the Big Hill Shelter in snow.[/quote]

I've seen classes offered around here too, basic and orienteering. I always seem to be working though. I definitely need to find one this spring.
    • To write or not.

Sigh- I need to hurry.
      Mike- I am doing the same thing. There is a distinct lack of "how to" books of any value. Kephart, Fletcher, Jardine- those are the only quality books I can think of. In the digital age there is a need for a book that aren't so whiz bang fast. If there was a good book out there WB wouldn't be so busy. Skurka's book could have been one, but I have heard it was edited down for consumption by the masses. He was certainly qualified but his book got the "backpacker magazine" treatment. Ray is still pigeon holed, but unfairly. Trauma's book was produced with the Wham-bam- thank you mam style that people expect- it probably had 50 pages of text- but awesome graphics, blurbs, trail tips, and all the other "books for dummies" style stuff. I very much believe a quality book with real content could do exceedingly well, the last mainstream example was Fletcher's book.

Some thoughts from a fellow dreamer-

You have to be a good writer- Colin Fletcher is the best example. Lot's of folks know stuff- but you need to combine that with knowing how to put stuff down on paper.

Spend some time teaching- I used to own a business selling gear and teaching classes. Teaching others is the best way I know of to organize your thoughts and write a book.

Start- I'm on my third draft- but I wouldn't be that far if I didn't start writing. Next time somebody asks a question online that you can answer, instead of typing in the reply box- sit down and type up a response in a word document. Then expand on that topic. Next thing you know things will spill out in a pile. I really like using Microsoft one note- I can write random chapters and thoughts as they pop and then sort them out later into some kind of format.

End- I can't. I'm at 400+ pages and still going. That's just hard text. Then come photos, illustrations, formatting, etc. I'm quickly looking at a 1000 page book because I am trying to cover it all like Kephart and Fletcher. My advice to you- pick a topic and focus on it to complete a book. Check out Mike Clelland's books for a great example of a concise book on a specific topic.

Split it-
      My current debate, as a publisher seems to be likely to do it anyway, I am likely going to have to split my book up. The best selling outdoor books are experienced based, "tales from the trail" type books. Those are fun and good reads. How to books are not. My plan was to blend the two together- but I may have to split it up so I can follow my own advise and finish something. A few folks here have read some of my stuff- I may have to take the easy way out for now and do a tales book too.

Time-
      It takes a massive amount of time. Even now, I estimate it would take me a year to finish my book, working nearly full time on it for a how to book. By contrast- I could probably finish a tales type book in a month.

Publish-
      Self publish is very in reach- but harder the more technical your book. I think one reason the experience books trump the how to books is simple logistics. You can easily publish a book full of type in multiple formats, including a hard copy. Add in even color and it's a mess- put in all the high quality photos you would need in a modern book and the cost is astronomical. I am looking very hard at Apple's text book software and other e-book possibilities to deliver the product I want, and this generation of hikers would expect.

Just try it- if a pile of words starts piling up see where it takes you- worry about the logistics later. Once you've got something taking shape- worry about how and where it will fit in. You never know- I watched the PBS special on Stephen Hawking and they were talking about publishing his first book. The publisher basically only went though with it because they were committed to the project- it was expected to flop- hard. It turned out to be a million + copy best seller. A good book is a good book- regardless of what it's about.
    • To write or not.

Just Bill wrote:

Sigh- I need to hurry.
      Mike- I am doing the same thing. There is a distinct lack of "how to" books of any value. Kephart, Fletcher, Jardine- those are the only quality books I can think of. In the digital age there is a need for a book that aren't so whiz bang fast. If there was a good book out there WB wouldn't be so busy. Skurka's book could have been one, but I have heard it was edited down for consumption by the masses. He was certainly qualified but his book got the "backpacker magazine" treatment. Ray is still pigeon holed, but unfairly. Trauma's book was produced with the Wham-bam- thank you mam style that people expect- it probably had 50 pages of text- but awesome graphics, blurbs, trail tips, and all the other "books for dummies" style stuff. I very much believe a quality book with real content could do exceedingly well, the last mainstream example was Fletcher's book.

Some thoughts from a fellow dreamer-

You have to be a good writer- Colin Fletcher is the best example. Lot's of folks know stuff- but you need to combine that with knowing how to put stuff down on paper.

Spend some time teaching- I used to own a business selling gear and teaching classes. Teaching others is the best way I know of to organize your thoughts and write a book.

Start- I'm on my third draft- but I wouldn't be that far if I didn't start writing. Next time somebody asks a question online that you can answer, instead of typing in the reply box- sit down and type up a response in a word document. Then expand on that topic. Next thing you know things will spill out in a pile. I really like using Microsoft one note- I can write random chapters and thoughts as they pop and then sort them out later into some kind of format.

End- I can't. I'm at 400+ pages and still going. That's just hard text. Then come photos, illustrations, formatting, etc. I'm quickly looking at a 1000 page book because I am trying to cover it all like Kephart and Fletcher. My advice to you- pick a topic and focus on it to complete a book. Check out Mike Clelland's books for a great example of a concise book on a specific topic.

Split it-
      My current debate, as a publisher seems to be likely to do it anyway, I am likely going to have to split my book up. The best selling outdoor books are experienced based, "tales from the trail" type books. Those are fun and good reads. How to books are not. My plan was to blend the two together- but I may have to split it up so I can follow my own advise and finish something. A few folks here have read some of my stuff- I may have to take the easy way out for now and do a tales book too.

Time-
      It takes a massive amount of time. Even now, I estimate it would take me a year to finish my book, working nearly full time on it for a how to book. By contrast- I could probably finish a tales type book in a month.

Publish-
      Self publish is very in reach- but harder the more technical your book. I think one reason the experience books trump the how to books is simple logistics. You can easily publish a book full of type in multiple formats, including a hard copy. Add in even color and it's a mess- put in all the high quality photos you would need in a modern book and the cost is astronomical. I am looking very hard at Apple's text book software and other e-book possibilities to deliver the product I want, and this generation of hikers would expect.

Just try it- if a pile of words starts piling up see where it takes you- worry about the logistics later. Once you've got something taking shape- worry about how and where it will fit in. You never know- I watched the PBS special on Stephen Hawking and they were talking about publishing his first book. The publisher basically only went though with it because they were committed to the project- it was expected to flop- hard. It turned out to be a million + copy best seller. A good book is a good book- regardless of what it's about.

"this generation of hikers" prefers to do their homework on line and not at barnes and noble.
      write a book because you love to write. write as much as you can, and then worry about editing it down.then find a way to get it published, and if it sells, whoopee, but the main point was making the information available.dont expect to make money from it. you probably wont.
      i had thought about writing a book when i came home from my trip until i realized many of the thoughts i would express ive already put into print on whiteblaze as well as here, and most of my target audience had already been reached.i figured id sell 100 copies.
      point is there are many ways to get your ideas out if your intention is to help as many people as possible.
      if your intention is to make money, then you need an angle that will appeal to the masses.
      what's the angle?
      its all good
    • Re:To write or not.

Everyone wants to make some money doing what they love- I hope I can find a way. Hell if Cheryl strayed gets paid- why not me or mike or you HB

If not- I agree- you do it because you want to. If it pays out- awesome. If not- you helped out. Like life in general- do what you love and things will work out.

I have seriously considered your idea Rasty- a "book" style online site would/should do well and fill a void. It would either need to be closed to comment, or relatively locked down. But if it was laid out in a section/chapter/topic type format with some sort of progression i think it would cater to all folks better. I think the digital age has progressed enough that you don't turn off your older demographics as much as you used to. Hell- what's the average age of the folks here? You could add interactivity to it with a comment thread in each chapter and even a voting system to elevate posts or tips into the permanant site- but the main structure would need to be maintained and an editor and limited author (screened) system would be needed to streamline the info. But you could much more ecconomically include the high quality photos and videos needed to effectively communicate your information. WB has tons of info- but you would need to spend tons of time just to find it, and still be unsure where it came from in the first place. BPL turned out the same way. Thier article system and archives are nicer, but not right either. If I want to check out sleeping bags I should be able to go to say- the sleep system section, read an overview, read the sleeping bag article, then click onto various updates, reader tips, gear reviews, and even link to a manufacturers website (or even purchase directly from the site).

A website could also evolve over time in ways that a book cannot- it can expand and contract in content as needed and have the ability to stay current with trends, gear, and general technique. It could tie into a community like this site does.

I know nothing about websites, design, or monetization of them. Money would be a neccessary evil to compensate the host and site maintenance, as well as cover the cost of quality content. And from a purely selfish standpoint- why would I or another author give away their content for free (consistently). Or the flipside of that arguement- with payment you would have the means to generate that content more frequently. The downfall of BPL seems to be that after the initial slurry of membership and first burn of info- cold hard reality sets in- we all have to pay our bills- so when it's just for love... you kick out an article when you can. I'm 35 in the middle of family and child rearing responsibilities so the cold hard dollars always rear their ugly head in my direction. So perhaps my jaded opinion, but if it was going to work you couldn't half-ass it or part time it.

Who knows- you guys (and gal) have made a big leap here. Sgt. Rock would be an excellent fella to hear from on the topic. Not sure if Stick has made it over here but he has a popular site too.
      WB has the numbers and clear indication that folks are seeking it- there is definetely an audience.
      You guys have the community.
      BPL has some quality content and the right idea (trusted authors and screened content- but loosely organized)
      TrailGroove has the heart.
      Backpacker can sell stuff, but little else.
      The web has some quality bloggers and individual sites.
      Mags and the trail show crew have an interesting angle.

If you could round them up and back it with quality content in a useable format you would have a very clear winner.
      Bring them for info, hook them on community, pump them with stories and news, sell them stuff they would already have bought someplace else.

I'd be very open to talking about it

Yar- sound advice. Gotta flush those out a bit anyway into full tales.
      Took my own advice and dumped my "tales" type stories into a separate document yesterday- came out to 100 or so pages without filling in some of the other stories that didn't quite fit into my full book. Should format out to a 200/300 page paperback depending on the paper size.

Saw your bump- maybe time to float out a few on here and see how she goes and see how to shape up the rest of the book. I'll get a few for ya to post.

Just Bill wrote:

Everyone wants to make some money doing what they love- I hope I can find a way. Hell if Cheryl strayed gets paid- why not me or mike or you HB

If not- I agree- you do it because you want to. If it pays out- awesome. If not- you helped out. Like life in general- do what you love and things will work out.

I have seriously considered your idea Rasty- a "book" style online site would/should do well and fill a void. It would either need to be closed to comment, or relatively locked down. But if it was laid out in a section/chapter/topic type format with some sort of progression i think it would cater to all folks better. I think the digital age has progressed enough that you don't turn off your older demographics as much as you used to. Hell- what's the average age of the folks here? You could add interactivity to it with a comment thread in each chapter and even a voting system to elevate posts or tips into the permanant site- but the main structure would need to be maintained and an editor and limited author (screened) system would be needed to streamline the info. But you could much more ecconomically include the high quality photos and videos needed to effectively communicate your information. WB has tons of info- but you would need to spend tons of time just to find it, and still be unsure where it came from in the first place. BPL turned out the same way. Thier article system and archives are nicer, but not right either. If I want to check out sleeping bags I should be able to go to say- the sleep system section, read an overview, read the sleeping bag article, then click onto various updates, reader tips, gear reviews, and even link to a manufacturers website (or even purchase directly from the site).

A website could also evolve over time in ways that a book cannot- it can expand and contract in content as needed and have the ability to stay current with trends, gear, and general technique. It could tie into a community like this site does.

I know nothing about websites, design, or monetization of them. Money would be a neccessary evil to compensate the host and site maintenance, as well as cover the cost of quality content. And from a purely selfish standpoint- why would I or another author give away their content for free (consistently). Or the flipside of that arguement- with payment you would have the means to generate that content more frequently. The downfall of BPL seems to be that after the initial slurry of membership and first burn of info- cold hard reality sets in- we all have to pay our bills- so when it's just for love... you kick out an article when you can. I'm 35 in the middle of family and child rearing responsibilities so the cold hard dollars always rear their ugly head in my direction. So perhaps my jaded opinion, but if it was going to work you couldn't half-ass it or part time it.

Who knows- you guys (and gal) have made a big leap here. Sgt. Rock would be an excellent fella to hear from on the topic. Not sure if Stick has made it over here but he has a popular site too.
      WB has the numbers and clear indication that folks are seeking it- there is definetely an audience.
      You guys have the community.
      BPL has some quality content and the right idea (trusted authors and screened content- but loosely organized)
      TrailGroove has the heart.
      Backpacker can sell stuff, but little else.
      The web has some quality bloggers and individual sites.
      Mags and the trail show crew have an interesting angle.

If you could round them up and back it with quality content in a useable format you would have a very clear winner.
      Bring them for info, hook them on community, pump them with stories and news, sell them stuff they would already have bought someplace else.

I'd be very open to talking about it

ok,you;re hired.

the pay sucks,though
      its all good