Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

This guy has skills that kill.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wise Old Owl wrote:

Second runner up!

Wow, I'm not building a fishing rig from scratch, but when I catch trout on my Tenkara rod and UL mess kit the way I cook it is....

Chunk the fish into the bottom of my covered titanium pot with just an inch if water....
      By the time the water boils off the fish is done. I leave it in there a bit longer because I like the skin to crisp up a bit...
      A little olive oil helps if you brought some...

I then take the fish out and cook up some Near East Couscous with Pinenuts and lay trout on top.

An easy, quick backcountry meal. The fish would be better cooked on a campfire, but most nights and campsites I am not going there. The method described above is quick, easy and one of my favorite meals. It makes a great breakfast too.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Second runner up!

Wow, I'm not building a fishing rig from scratch, but when I catch trout on my Tenkara rod and UL mess kit the way I cook it is....
      Chunk the fish into the bottom of my covered titanium pot with just an inch if water....
      By the time the water boils off the fish is done. I leave it in there a bit longer because I like the skin to crisp up a bit...
      A little olive oil helps if you brought some...

I then take the fish out and cook up some Near East Couscous with Pinenuts and lay trout on top.

An easy, quick backcountry meal. The fish would be better cooked on a campfire, but most nights and campsites I am not going there. The method described above is quick, easy and one of my favorite meals. It makes a great breakfast too.
      When you say chunk the fish is that after you deboned it?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

When you say chunk the fish is that after you deboned it?
      Woo,

No, it is bones and all. The bones and flesh separate pretty easily after it is cooked. The only reason I chunk up the fish is to make it fit in my titanium pot.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 1 time, last by IMScotty ().