Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

REI garage sale

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• REI garage sale

This past Saturday I experienced my first REI garage sale.
      The store opened at 10 but we didn't get there until a couple of hours later.
      The first thing I noticed was that the parking lot was full with people pulling in as fast as people leaving. We got the last available parking spot that was open at that moment. Going inside one of the employees made sure to tell us that all the "good stuff" was long gone. That was OK with me as I really don't need anything. I wandered the store looking at all the marked down items, every kind of thing you can think of. What impressed me most was not the prices, but how worn some of the items looked. There were shoes that had lots of miles on them and the reason for return, as marked on the garage sale tag, was that they weren't comfortable. Another was a pair of gloves marked that they were too small that were torn and worn. The best looking items were winter jackets of every size and style, some looked brand new. But like I said, I don't need anything, not even at low prices. Kathy did pick up a few items, a couple of Smart Wool tops, a bicycle pannier (that almost matches the one she got at her last garage sale) and a pair of gloves.

From there we went to New York City's Alley Pond Park and walked for a couple of hours before heading home.

The garage sale was interesting but I guess it would pay to get there when the doors open if you were really looking for something specific.
    • I've only made the Garage sale once or twice. It sort of reminded me of Black Friday Shopping.......I won't do that either! Lots of people, but the "Good stuff" was snatched up probably within 20 minutes of the place opening. It didn't surprise me about the worn and abused stuff. REI return policy needed / might still need, updated. Stuff that has been abused and worn out does NOT need to be "Brought back". REI is just trying to recover something out of this type of gear. Truly like a garage sale.
      My most memorable Garage Sale purchase was an eyeglass retaining strap. Pretty nice one, looked new. I still use it out Orienteering in the forest. I think I gave 10 cents for it.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I have not visited any of the Garage Sales but my daughter is a regular. She says that the SOP is to grab a pack or piece of luggage and stuff in as many 'interesting' items as possible before going to a quiet corner of the store to actually review or try on each item. Keep what you want and return the rest to the sale area.

She has scored a few nice items for a fraction of the original cost. One item was an Osprey Porter travel pack / carry-on bag. It had one broken buckle, and Osprey immediately replaced it for free when she contacted them. Original owner was either too lazy to contact Osprey directly of didn't want it anymore and used the defect as an excuse to return it to REI.

On the returns side, my daughter bought a down sleeping bag and found out that she has a down allergy. No fun waking up in the morning with a rash on her arms and neck. REI took it back in exchange for a synthetic-filled bag, and someone got a deal on the once-used down bag at the next garage sale.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

Never been to an REI, although I've been a member since 1978. Never had a local store to shop at until next month when one opens up in town. I suppose the grand opening will be a zoo like garage sale. Maybe I should camp out now to be first in line.
      In MI May is probably better than Black Thursday in November. 8o
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Never been to an REI, although I've been a member since 1978. Never had a local store to shop at until next month when one opens up in town. I suppose the grand opening will be a zoo like garage sale. Maybe I should camp out now to be first in line.
      In MI May is probably better than Black Thursday in November. 8o
      I don't know. We had 6" of snow last week. But if I camped out for a week to be first in line, I'd probably made the local news. REI should pay me for the publicity.
    • They camp out here too for the sale and they all dash in grab everything off the tables in the first hour. People buying armfuls if stuff they don't or might need. The missus did get a nice pair of trail runners for next to nothing once. I've never bought any of the returned stuff, because by the time we get there nothing trips my trigger.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference