Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2019 or 2020 Outback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2019 or 2020 Outback

A few months ago I posted somewhere that I intended to trade my truck in for a Subaru Outback. I still intend to do that, but I've been waiting to see if the 2020 Outback would be a simple refresh or completely new. Well, I now know the answer, it will be new, based on Subaru's new global platform like the 2019 Ascent. Supposed to be more rigid, better handling, yadda, yadda. No doubt, the real reason is it will be cheaper to build. Whatever, I still want an Outback.

So will it be a 2019 or a 2020? Don't know just yet, but here are my thoughts:

2020 will probably be more expensive
      2020 will only be offered with 4 cyl engines - a normal and a turbo like the Ascent (260 hp)
      2019 will probably be discounted as we get nearer the 2020 delivery date
      2019 may suffer some accelerated depreciation because of the redesign
      2019 driven, I like it (but only with a 6 cyl) - that may be mitigated because the 2020 will offer a turbo 4cyl with 260 hp (about same as the 2019 6cyl)
      Probably can't even drive a 2020 until Sept. or so
      Mobile AL Subaru dealer has 48 Outbacks in stock today, way more than I've ever seen. (maybe I need to test their willingness to deal now) - Pensacola FL has about 20, always less than Mobile (thay never deal, those Navy Aviators like Subarus). Other dealers too far for me.

Just found out I have friend of friend in the local dealership, will use him as spy.
      Mostly talking to myself here guys, but if you want to chime in, go for it.
      BTW, Subaru is timing their 2020 Outback introduction National Parks 100th. anniversary. Good (but not surprising) move. If you want a preview, it's on Subaru's website today.
    • Whatever you choose, it'll be good.
      I love my 2002 Subaru Forester.
      It's treated me well for 17+ years and over 417,000 miles.
      I'd get a new one but I like the fact that my 02 is smaller than the ones they sell now.
      Personally I'm not a fan of turbos in cars, they're just one more thing that can go wrong.
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Personally I'm not a fan of turbos in cars, they're just one more thing that can go wrong.
      i agree!
      over the years i've had a lot of experience with turbos on diesel engines from little 3 cylinder luggers to 70,000 hp 2 stroke engines. turbos gave a lot of problems early on, but they became just as reliable as any other part of the engine because builders learned how to make them and so has the auto industry. they no longer just tack a turbo-charger on an engine not built for it. the naturally aspirated 4 is great for the forester, but the bigger cars suffer with lack of power, IMO. these days i'd buy a turbo with no worries.

i've decided to reach out to my subaru dealer's internet sales and try to work a deal. if the numbers are right, i may just get a 2019 6 cylinder outback and forget about the 2020. i've got a feeling they'll work with me because they have so many outbacks in stock right now. my subaru spy says he thinks a lot of would-be buyers are waiting to check out the 2020.

btw, internet sales was pretty painless when i bought my GMC. the deal was mostly done online, all i had to do was bring my trade-in to the dealer so they could confirm its condition, mileage, etc. also i drove the new truck, gave them a check and signed the papers. easy peasy!

Also a question - do any of you guys have experience with ordering a car? mostly wondering if you felt you got a comparable deal to buying one off the lot. the reason i ask is because my subaru spy also told me it's not too late to order a 2019 outback. that way i could get the color, model and options i want, but it occurs to me with so many already in stock they may not be so willing to deal on an order.

The post was edited 1 time, last by chief ().

• I'm not sure of the order lead times for Subaru. April however, so they will be shutting down 2019 production fairly soon would be my guess. Typically a plant shuts down for a few weeks on the cut over. They fix stuff, retool and such. Then they have to fire up production of the next model year in time to have those "new" models in the showrooms in August.

I've got 200,000 on my 21 year old F250 TURBO diesel. Relatively trouble free. I'm thinking to upgrade however as the old truck paint is bad, interior worn, down on fuel mileage (worn out fuel injectors) and I worry about the weak link in these.....the automatic transmission.
      But never an issue on the turbo.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

I'm not sure of the order lead times for Subaru. April however, so they will be shutting down 2019 production fairly soon would be my guess. Typically a plant shuts down for a few weeks on the cut over. They fix stuff, retool and such. Then they have to fire up production of the next model year in time to have those "new" models in the showrooms in August.

I've got 200,000 on my 21 year old F250 TURBO diesel. Relatively trouble free. I'm thinking to upgrade however as the old truck paint is bad, interior worn, down on fuel mileage (worn out fuel injectors) and I worry about the weak link in these.....the automatic transmission.
      But never an issue on the turbo.
      i don't know the mileage on my brother's '90s vintage F250, but his turbo diesel has been pulling a 30 ft airstream since day one. she'll smoke a little, but has always run fine.

thanks for the info on the order thing. i think you're probably right.

The post was edited 1 time, last by chief ().

• Just talked to my Subaru dealer after a round of emails. I mentioned the 2020 is on the way and they have a lot of Outbacks in stock. Asked what incentives to buy a 2019 Outback are available. They don't want to talk price until they get a look at my trade-in, but assure me that they'll beat the advertised prices by a bunch and i'd be eligible for 24 months free maintenance (oil changes, tire rotation, etc). . We'll see, I have an appointment to get truck appraised in the morning and drive the selected Outback. They have 3 Outbacks that match what I want, one white, one black and a green one. I'm leaning toward the green. If the numbers work out, I might be the owner of a new 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring by Easter. Or maybe I'll think about it until Mon. or Tues. (make em sweat it).
    • CoachLou wrote:

That would be my choice, the R model should have ‘Eyesight’, don’t be afraid of it, it is easy to use and it works great. And you can shut off some functions.
      yeah, getting used to "eyesight" should be interesting. in my advanced age, i gained a little paranoia about rear ending another car. guess my attention span is not so good as it used to be. that pre-collision braking feature might be what the doctor ordered.
    • CoachLou wrote:

The adaptive cruise control is excellent when you have heavy highway traffic, it keeps you at the distance from the vehicle you want while keeping you at what ever speed the traffic goes
      I don’t use that feature in heavy traffic. I’ve found that people take advantage of the space and squeeze in between me and the vehicle in front of me, making me slam on the brakes. People are assholes these days and drive like shyte. They can’t stand it if there’s room between vehicles.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

The adaptive cruise control is excellent when you have heavy highway traffic, it keeps you at the distance from the vehicle you want while keeping you at what ever speed the traffic goes
      I don’t use that feature in heavy traffic. I’ve found that people take advantage of the space and squeeze in between me and the vehicle in front of me, making me slam on the brakes. People are assholes these days and drive like shyte. They can’t stand it if there’s room between vehicles.
      amen sista, one of my pet peeves!
    • chief wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

amen sista, one of my pet peeves!
      on my crosstrek, I can adjust the following distance but even the shortest distance leaves too much space in some circumstances.

Mainly when driving in the left lane in heavy traffic. People in front of you either think you want to stay cruising behind them and never get over or people behind think you’re lollygagging and pass you on the right.
      However, I can speed up and then return to my pre set cruise control when my foot is removed from the gas pedal.
    • chief wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Otherwise, I love the adaptive eyesight, especially going around curves. It took some getting used to...letting the car take over and not fighting the wheel for control. I love my Subaru.
      not sure i understand, is that a feature that supposed to help you stay in your lane or something?
      yes. It works when you use cruise control.

“Stop-and-go adaptive cruise control:
      • 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
      • 2018 Subaru Forester
      • 2018 Subaru Impreza
      • 2018 Subaru Legacy
      • 2018 Subaru Outback
      • 2018 Subaru WRX
      What should I look for? Subaru packages its stop-and-go adaptive cruise control under its EyeSight suite of safety systems. EyeSight also includes some steering intervention if you drive outside of lane markings, but it isn't a lane-centering steering system — nor is it hands-free.”
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I can relate when trying to teach your kids about defensive driving and idiots keep trying to squeeze between when your try to leave a safe distance.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • okay the deal is done. there's a black 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring Edition sitting in my garage as we speak.

couple pics i took on the way home from the dealer

sweet ride so far. now i've got about 400 pages of user manual to read.
      Images
      • 20190420_161603.jpg

260.92 kB, 800×600, viewed 361 times
    • i wanted the green outback they had. except for color it was identical to the others. unfortunately, i got there too late. a nice young family got there before me. they said they were there when the doors were unlocked. guess i slept too late this am. so i had a choice of black or white. the white one was parked out front and ready to go. the black one was parked in the middle of the showroom. i don't think the guys were too happy to rearrange the whole showroom just to get my car outside.

the sales staff were so happy, they gave me and the young family each a giant stash of easter candy.
    • chief wrote:

i wanted the green outback they had. except for color it was identical to the others. unfortunately, i got there too late. a nice young family got there before me. they said they were there when the doors were unlocked. guess i slept too late this am. so i had a choice of black or white. the white one was parked out front and ready to go. the black one was parked in the middle of the showroom. i don't think the guys were too happy to rearrange the whole showroom just to get my car outside.

the sales staff were so happy, they gave me and the young family each a giant stash of easter candy.
      It is always a neat feeling you buy the vehicle in the center of the showroom floor. Been 29 years for me, but I still remember it. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

i wanted the green outback they had. except for color it was identical to the others. unfortunately, i got there too late. a nice young family got there before me. they said they were there when the doors were unlocked. guess i slept too late this am. so i had a choice of black or white. the white one was parked out front and ready to go. the black one was parked in the middle of the showroom. i don't think the guys were too happy to rearrange the whole showroom just to get my car outside.

It is always a neat feeling you buy the vehicle in the center of the showroom floor. Been 29 years for me, but I still remember it. :thumbup:
      that black thang sure was purty sitting there under the lights!
    • odd man out wrote:

chief wrote:

odd man out wrote:

My wife wants to replace her 2008 Highlander. We test drove a Subaru Ascent today. First time I've ever been in a Subaru. I must say it was really nice.
      The Ascent looks really nice to me also. it's just me, so i don't need the 3 row seats.
      I tried to talk her into an Outback, but likes to sit up higher.
      Same thing with my wife, she hates driving my Camry. When I finally convinced her to move on from her Toyota Sienna in January she went with a Nissan Murano.
    • chief wrote:

okay the deal is done. there's a black 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring Edition sitting in my garage as we speak.

You read that manual and you might be put in the Guiness record book.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

chief wrote:

okay the deal is done. there's a black 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring Edition sitting in my garage as we speak.

You read that manual and you might be put in the Guiness record book.
      oops, i made a mistake. the owners manual alone is 518 pages (it's never gonna get read fully), happily they included a 30 page quick start manual which covers all the basics, like how those hi-tech keys work...