Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2019 or 2020 Outback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• my outbacks only options were a set of Thule crossbars for the roof rack (haven't mounted yet) and all weather floor liners (which i love). the touring edition comes with most major options anyway. i still may get a trailer hitch, but that's about it.

a word about eyesight and such other driver-assist stuff:

i don't have a lot of experience with it, but i purposely left eyesight 100% on so i'd get the full effect. otherwise how would i evaluate it? at first all the beeping at me was annoying and i didn't know what most of was for, so i studied the books (if you expect to learn you gotta put in some effort, right?). so now after only 500 miles or so, the the thing beeps at me very rarely. so i guess that means i'm a better driver (according to eyesight).

a few weeks ago i predicted i would turn off most of eyesight. today, i'm pretty sure i'll leave it all on. i don't think it's about being smarter, i think it's about gentle (or not so gentle) reminders. like when at a stop light and i'm fiddling with the radio or something, the little beep telling me the car in front has moved off is much better than the horn blowing of the inpatient driver behind me. or the time i almost backed into the path of another car because the truck next to me was blocking my view. yeah, it freaked me out to have the car "not so gently" stop itself, but it was much better than the imminent fender bender (or worse). i've mentioned the adaptive cruise control before, but i continue to be impressed with it. maybe not smarter than me (i tell myself), but certainly more attentive.

the only advice i have is: don't knock it until you've tried it (i was guilty of that) and don't be surprised to learn this scary electronic stuff is pretty damn smart. that's all folks!
    • CoachLou wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

When I bought my Subaru I actually had them remove some options I didn't want and they lowered the price accordingly.
      But I did have them install a trailer hitch and a dog barrier behind the rear seat. My wife thought the dog barrier was mean to the dog until I told her that in the even of an accident the dog was less likely to get injured if it wasn't flying around in the car. And the trailer hitch was for mounting a bicycle rack.
      Wow, I did not know they would do that.My wife gets the new cars, for myself I buy old ugly cars to save money and then run them into the grave. I'm actually tooling around in my daughters 1994 Volvo 850 today getting it ready to pass another years inspection.

I( don't know what I am going to do when it is time for my wife's next new car. I don't want any of that 'driver assist' technology. I don't think it is possible to get a Subaru anymore without it. I have no desire to drive a car that thinks it is smarter than I am.
      You can still get every model without the Eyesight Package. You can even still get a Forester and Impreza with a Stick.
      hey coach, i think that's not true anymore (beginning with 2019 models i think). according to subaru eyesight is standard on the forester, legacy, outback and the ascent.

The post was edited 1 time, last by chief ().

• We'll be getting our new Highlander soon. They are offering 2000$ cash back right now. It's a lot like the new Subaru, but the Toyota dealer is a lot closer to home. We find of the 5 trim levels offered, the middle one has stuff we want. Going beyond that is mostly cosmetic stuff. We also add the roof rack cross bars and trailer hitch (for our pop up camping trailer). The new Honda is also nice, but they don't have a CD player. We are old school and need a CD player. We are not going to transfer hundreds of CD's to USB drives or our phone so we can listen to music in the car. If someone from Honda is reading - You blew it by assuming everyone likes to use their phone for everything. I'm sure by the time we buy our next car, CD's will be gone, but then again, we are old enough that we might be gone too. This will be the first car that has some of the driver assist tech. I think I will like the active cruise control the most. It's so annoying when that guy in front of you wants to drive either 0.5 MPH too fast or too slow. Not sure about the lane assist (beeps or steers if you cross the lane markings). I had that in a rental car on the trip to Sweden two years ago. In Sweden, the rural roads were so narrow, you had keep within a couple of inches of the middle of the lane to prevent the beeps - almost impossible.
    • i've got the perfect car for my lifestyle.

the seats fold flat which makes for a comfortable sleep at trailheads or when i drive cross country.

the rear seats can also be folded up and away or removed all together. the floor is totally flat which allows someone to build more permanent living or camping arrangements if they wish. i know of a female college student who lives full time in her car.

the car was marketed to 20 year olds, however 40 year olds were the age group that mostly bought the car. my 20 year sons hate the car -- until they want to move something.

youtube.com/watch?v=V3vJcB66DtU
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• chief wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

When I bought my Subaru I actually had them remove some options I didn't want and they lowered the price accordingly.
      But I did have them install a trailer hitch and a dog barrier behind the rear seat. My wife thought the dog barrier was mean to the dog until I told her that in the even of an accident the dog was less likely to get injured if it wasn't flying around in the car. And the trailer hitch was for mounting a bicycle rack.
      Wow, I did not know they would do that.My wife gets the new cars, for myself I buy old ugly cars to save money and then run them into the grave. I'm actually tooling around in my daughters 1994 Volvo 850 today getting it ready to pass another years inspection.
      I( don't know what I am going to do when it is time for my wife's next new car. I don't want any of that 'driver assist' technology. I don't think it is possible to get a Subaru anymore without it. I have no desire to drive a car that thinks it is smarter than I am.
      You can still get every model without the Eyesight Package. You can even still get a Forester and Impreza with a Stick.
      hey coach, i think that's not true anymore (beginning with 2019 models i think). according to subaru eyesight is standard on the forester, legacy, outback and the ascent.
      I just talked to the General Sales Mgr. You are correct. The Impreza, WRX/STI, and the Cross-trek still can be purchased without.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Dmax wrote:

My wife, when we're ready, wants to trade her '14 crosstrek for a 4 door jeep. We're unable to pull a pop up camper with the crosstrek. I'll be pulling a pontoon boat with my f250 super duty. .... I wish she'd keep the Subaru and just get the jeep to park beside it.
      Are you sure? I pulled a Coleman popup and a Scamp 13 with my 2003 Baja.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

My wife, when we're ready, wants to trade her '14 crosstrek for a 4 door jeep. We're unable to pull a pop up camper with the crosstrek. I'll be pulling a pontoon boat with my f250 super duty. .... I wish she'd keep the Subaru and just get the jeep to park beside it.
      The. Xtrek only has a non turbo 2ltr. Your Baja had a 2.5. The tow vehicle would be the Cherokee with the old straight six.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

The. Xtrek only has a non turbo 2ltr. Your Baja had a 2.5. The tow vehicle would be the Cherokee with the old straight six.
      You can't beat that straight six for durability. Those motors are bulletproof.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

and easy to work on if i remember correctly.
    • chief wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

and easy to work on if i remember correctly.
      I believe most things were easier to work on in the past. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General