Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2019 or 2020 Outback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rhjanes wrote:

Congrats. I would have taken the green one first also! Then the white one. Black is way down my color choice list. Shows dirt fast, dust, dimples and scratches. But that's just me.
      I agree it is harder to keep a dark vehicle clean, but they sure do standout when they are.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • rhjanes wrote:

Congrats. I would have taken the green one first also! Then the white one. Black is way down my color choice list. Shows dirt fast, dust, dimples and scratches. But that's just me.
      thx. i agree with your color list, but like i said before, "the black one sure did look purdy". I'm prepping for the extra work involved.
    • max.patch wrote:

i'm lookin for a car that comes in "forest service road brown" color.
      AH! Those would be under the "Fleet" colors. I used to restore old Mustang cars. I have a Dearborn built car and Ford did some....."interesting" things back in the 60's and 70's. So they were dipping the unibodies in these vats. The vats started with a grey color in them at Dearborn. But then the paint guns were cleaned and the cleaning fluid, with the last painted color (they will paint cars in 20 and 30 at a time, all same color) was then dumped into the vat! Henry Ford stuff, NEVER waste anything. So as the shifts went on, the grey slowly changed colors.
      Other experts in restorations have identified the base grey.....some Fleet color. I went and had that mixed, then bought some stock colors to try and match my particular cars undercarriage.

Those FS vehicles are a "Fleet" color.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • A short update. Been learning the Subaru way bit by bit, so far i like it. Was gonna shut off all the warning stuff, but decided to let it chirp at me until i figure out what it all means. I'm finding it chirps less and less the better i drive. Method to their madness? Favorite feature so far - adaptive cruise control (after I figured out how to set following distance, works fabulously). Second favorite feature - that 3.6 engine is the bomb! One gripe - on center steering is a lot looser than my GMC. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but for now I have to be real attentive.
    • chief wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

wish this was my next vehicle
      is that the new Jeep Gladiator?
      anyone who has had a jeep before will be greatly disappointed (I was shocked) at the huge turning radius of the 4 door models............. “is this really a Jeep?!”
      i'm convinced the last real jeep was a CJ.
      YJ
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • CoachLou wrote:

My dad had a Willy’s, I was in Motor t. My best bud in HS had a CJ, my son had a YJ, his mother and I had 3 Cherokees!

Man I love my Outback

I guess once you go outback, you never go back.
      recent vehicles - blazer, 2 xterras, gmc truck and of course my new outback. only 500 or so miles on the outback at this point, but i'm in the beginning stage of love. a friend, angel (whose husband hiked 1400 miles of the AT with me) saw it for the first time last week. she's drives a 2 year old cherokee and now she's dying of outback envy. asks if she can borrow it for their next kayak adventure, answer is a big fat NO.
    • CoachLou wrote:

My dad had a Willy’s, I was in Motor t. My best bud in HS had a CJ, my son had a YJ, his mother and I had 3 Cherokees!

Man I love my Outback

I guess once you go outback, you never go back.
      I was hanging in a hammock in the woods behind the house smoking a cigar and sipping a whiskey a few minutes ago and had to go outback.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I've always wanted a Jeepster Commando

I'd like to have one of those...especially if the dog came with it.
      Which blond? Or the brunette?

Interesting on the wheel covers on that photo. I'm into Shelby's. Those wheel covers look like 1968 Shelby factory wheel covers, but with 1966 Mustang "Spinners" on them.....
      The stuff car geeks notice......

I was thinking about trading/selling my 08 Mustang GT Vert, for a Subaru. But my 21 year old diesel truck is in ROUGH shape (paint, interior.....questionable how much longer the weak-link, the transmission, will last......200,000 on it now). SO....with a looming inheritance......2020 F250 Super Duty is starting to look possible!....and I could keep the GT.

Check that plan.....back to being the Executor on this estate....
    • rhjanes wrote:

Drybones wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Which blond? Or the brunette?
      Interesting on the wheel covers on that photo. I'm into Shelby's. Those wheel covers look like 1968 Shelby factory wheel covers, but with 1966 Mustang "Spinners" on them.....

I was thinking about trading/selling my 08 Mustang GT Vert, for a Subaru. But my 21 year old diesel truck is in ROUGH shape (paint, interior.....questionable how much longer the weak-link, the transmission, will last......200,000 on it now). SO....with a looming inheritance......2020 F250 Super Duty is starting to look possible!....and I could keep the GT.

i've seen pictures of shelbys with wheel covers, but never saw one in real life. i wonder how many were delivered with standard steel wheels.
    • chief wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Drybones wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Which blond? Or the brunette?Interesting on the wheel covers on that photo. I'm into Shelby's. Those wheel covers look like 1968 Shelby factory wheel covers, but with 1966 Mustang "Spinners" on them.....

i've seen pictures of shelbys with wheel covers, but never saw one in real life. i wonder how many were delivered with standard steel wheels.
      I've seen ton's of Shelby's. Been for a ride around the Shelby Chili parking lot in a Daytona Coupe (Race car). only 6 were ever built....worth? Millions.....

MOST Shelby's were probably delivered with standard wheels and covers. The 1965 GT350 standard wheel was a steel wheel off a station wagon. 1966, started having mag style options. But a lot of muscle cars were delivered with the cheap wheels. People would option out for higher horsepower. Wheels and tires were considered "factory junk" to be replaced as soon as you boil off the tires....maybe before. Our not-muscle 1969 Mustang still has painted steel wheels with dog dish "hub" caps (only covers the lug nuts). Lots of Boss Mustangs came like that. Our 1970 Cobra Jet Mach 1, came with black steel wheels and "fake mag" style no-cost wheel covers. They actually look decent. But they are in storage for some radials and mags.
    • rhjanes wrote:

chief wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Drybones wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Which blond? Or the brunette?Interesting on the wheel covers on that photo. I'm into Shelby's. Those wheel covers look like 1968 Shelby factory wheel covers, but with 1966 Mustang "Spinners" on them.....The stuff car geeks notice......

I've seen ton's of Shelby's. Been for a ride around the Shelby Chili parking lot in a Daytona Coupe (Race car). only 6 were ever built....worth? Millions.....
      MOST Shelby's were probably delivered with standard wheels and covers. The 1965 GT350 standard wheel was a steel wheel off a station wagon. 1966, started having mag style options. But a lot of muscle cars were delivered with the cheap wheels. People would option out for higher horsepower. Wheels and tires were considered "factory junk" to be replaced as soon as you boil off the tires....maybe before. Our not-muscle 1969 Mustang still has painted steel wheels with dog dish "hub" caps (only covers the lug nuts). Lots of Boss Mustangs came like that. Our 1970 Cobra Jet Mach 1, came with black steel wheels and "fake mag" style no-cost wheel covers. They actually look decent. But they are in storage for some radials and mags.
      you might be right, i have no data on that, but like i say i've never seen a shelby with standard steel wheels, but i've seen many with factory mag wheels. that pretty much applies to most every performance car i've seen or owned.
    • when i said no to all the extras, the finance manager at subaru actually told me i was taking the food out of his children's mouths. since he'd already told me about the great bar he frequents after work i jokingly suggested that might be the reason his children are starving. he laughed, but i think he was wondering if i was kidding or not. anyway, i heard nothing more about extras.
    • Last Subaru we bought, we went for the most basic package we could get. The add ons in the higher packages are mostly decoration and technology crap. My wife does insist on leather seats, however. They just feel nicer to her. So we bought the base car, immediatly took it to an aftermarket car upholstery shop to get the seats covered in leather that looks identical to the factory leather. The only other add on she wanted was the rear bumper 'luggage protector' that I bought for a few bucks and put on myself. Saved thousands this way and did not end up with a bunch of unnecessary crap.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • When I bought my Subaru I actually had them remove some options I didn't want and they lowered the price accordingly.
      But I did have them install a trailer hitch and a dog barrier behind the rear seat. My wife thought the dog barrier was mean to the dog until I told her that in the even of an accident the dog was less likely to get injured if it wasn't flying around in the car. And the trailer hitch was for mounting a bicycle rack.
    • LIhikers wrote:

When I bought my Subaru I actually had them remove some options I didn't want and they lowered the price accordingly.
      But I did have them install a trailer hitch and a dog barrier behind the rear seat. My wife thought the dog barrier was mean to the dog until I told her that in the even of an accident the dog was less likely to get injured if it wasn't flying around in the car. And the trailer hitch was for mounting a bicycle rack.
      Wow, I did not know they would do that.

My wife gets the new cars, for myself I buy old ugly cars to save money and then run them into the grave. I'm actually tooling around in my daughters 1994 Volvo 850 today getting it ready to pass another years inspection.

I( don't know what I am going to do when it is time for my wife's next new car. I don't want any of that 'driver assist' technology. I don't think it is possible to get a Subaru anymore without it. I have no desire to drive a car that thinks it is smarter than I am.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

When I bought my Subaru I actually had them remove some options I didn't want and they lowered the price accordingly.
      Wow, I did not know they would do that.
      My wife gets the new cars, for myself I buy old ugly cars to save money and then run them into the grave. I'm actually tooling around in my daughters 1994 Volvo 850 today getting it ready to pass another years inspection.

I( don't know what I am going to do when it is time for my wife's next new car. I don't want any of that 'driver assist' technology. I don't think it is possible to get a Subaru anymore without it. I have no desire to drive a car that thinks it is smarter than I am.
      You can still get every model without the Eyesight Package. You can even still get a Forester and Impreza with a Stick.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: