Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2019

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro on the AT 2019

The plan is for this to be the last one of these. :)
      Only 340.1 miles to go to complete the AT, so if my body holds up this will be the year.

I made my reservations with the AMC this week. Will catch the shuttle to the Gail River Trail on the morning of 6/19.

6/18 Pinkham Notch Joe Dodge Lodge
      6/19 Galehead Hut
      6/20 Zealand Falls Hut
      6/21 Crawford Notch - AMC Highland Center (Highland Shapleigh Bunkhouse)
      6/22 Mizpah Hut
      6/23 Lake of the Clouds Hut
      6/24 Madison Spring Hut
      6/25 Pinkham Notch Joe Dodge Lodge

6/26 I will swap my day pack for my real pack and then head for Carter Notch.

Plan is to make it to Mt Katahdin by 7/28 (40 days). But I have a little buffer added in case I get banged up or go slower than expected.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • While we don't have a hard plan yet what we're thinking is to start in Monson and hike south to Stratton.
      Then we'll get a shuttle back to Monson and hike north to Baxter.
      Astro, you'll pass us somewhere along the way to Katadyn.
      We're the old, white haired couple hiking with, or without our shepherd dog and carrying packs that are too big and heavy.
    • LIhikers wrote:

While we don't have a hard plan yet what we're thinking is to start in Monson and hike south to Stratton.
      We're the old, white haired couple hiking with, or without our shepherd dog and carrying packs that are too big and heavy.
      Looking forward to it! :thumbup:
      I am the slow moving old white haired guy. And to make it easier to recognize me I believe I will leave my ATC hat at home and wear an Astro cap instead.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• LIhikers wrote:

While we don't have a hard plan yet what we're thinking is to start in Monson and hike south to Stratton.
      i'm sure you have a good reason, but i'm curious why you would choose to hike south for 70 miles and then go thru the hassle and expense of shuttling back to your starting point and resume hiking north.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

I made my reservations with the AMC this week. Will catch the shuttle to the Gale River Trail on the morning of 6/19.

6/19 Galehead Hut
      6/20 Zealand Falls Hut
      Well darn. A Wednesday start doesn't work well for my hike over Franconia Ridge. This work thing is really getting in the way of my hobbies.

Have a blast. And do not miss the scenic view loop trail north of Zealand Mountain.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Astro wrote:

I made my reservations with the AMC this week. Will catch the shuttle to the Gail River Trail on the morning of 6/19.

6/19 Galehead Hut
      6/20 Zealand Falls Hut
      6/22 Mizpah Hut
      6/24 Madison Spring Hut
      did your credit card company call you to verify that the numerous large dollar transactions were legit? :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

6/19 Galehead Hut
      6/20 Zealand Falls Hut
      6/22 Mizpah Hut
      6/24 Madison Spring Hut
      did your credit card company call you to verify that the numerous large dollar transactions were legit? :)
      Hey for two years I had planned to make it thru the Whites without using the huts. But with my advanced age and fragile body I decided it was time to bite the bullet and take the advice I had been getting to make it a little easier on my body (although not my wallet). :)
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Astro wrote:

I made my reservations with the AMC this week. Will catch the shuttle to the Gale River Trail on the morning of 6/19.

6/19 Galehead Hut
      6/20 Zealand Falls Hut
      Well darn. A Wednesday start doesn't work well for my hike over Franconia Ridge. This work thing is really getting in the way of my hobbies.
      Have a blast. And do not miss the scenic view loop trail north of Zealand Mountain.
      Sorry it didn't worry out. But here is to hoping we both have great weather when we go.
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

i'm sure you have a good reason, but i'm curious why you would choose to hike south for 70 miles and then go thru the hassle and expense of shuttling back to your starting point and resume hiking north.
      That way we have about 70 miles to build some trail legs before going over the mountain (that I can't remember the name of) that's just north of Stratton
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That way we have about 70 miles to build some trail legs before going over the mountain (that I can't remember the name of) that's just north of Stratton
      makes sense! i figured there was a reasonable explanation.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Glastenbury?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Glastenbury?
      I am thinking probably Bigelow.
    • Only 6 weeks until I hike up to Garfield and then Galehead hut. Only two weeks and two days more of school, and then plan to really increase my daily miles including up to a week on the Ozark Highlands Trail. :thumbup:
    • Drove today from NC to Mt Greylock. The War Memorial was covered for maintenance when I walked through in 2016.
      Images
      • 20190617_191902.jpg

109.72 kB, 800×600, viewed 409 times
      • 20190617_191727.jpg

260.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 402 times
      • 20190617_191641.jpg

58.85 kB, 450×600, viewed 388 times
      • 20190617_191555.jpg

78.54 kB, 450×600, viewed 428 times
      • 20190617_191705.jpg

145.93 kB, 800×600, viewed 420 times
    • Mt Greylock a little different an hour later.
      Images
      • 20190617_203804.jpg

88.25 kB, 800×600, viewed 360 times
      • 20190617_204020.jpg

83.6 kB, 800×600, viewed 411 times
      • 20190617_204814.jpg

138.65 kB, 800×600, viewed 386 times
      • 20190617_203827.jpg

78.16 kB, 800×600, viewed 382 times
      • 20190617_204155.jpg

54.68 kB, 450×600, viewed 405 times
      • 20190617_204209.jpg

88.82 kB, 800×600, viewed 398 times
    • Not for sure if the pictures do justice to the sunset. Beautiful colors, but hard to capture mountains with the trees. Felt it was worth the slow drive up (but still faster than hiking up in 2016). Off to Gorham in the morning.
      Images
      • 20190617_204331.jpg

101.61 kB, 800×600, viewed 404 times
      • 20190617_204658.jpg

74.66 kB, 800×600, viewed 454 times
      • 20190617_204516.jpg

110.95 kB, 800×600, viewed 352 times
      • 20190617_204904.jpg

140.87 kB, 800×600, viewed 354 times
      • 20190617_204814.jpg

138.8 kB, 800×600, viewed 375 times
      • 20190617_204302.jpg

36.03 kB, 450×600, viewed 393 times
    • Looking forward to your impressions of Crawford Notch through Gorham. And your time to beat on the Gale River Trail is 2:45.

Have a blast!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • "Drove" most of the AT today from Franklin, NC to Mt Greylock, MA. Drove through GA Saturday and will hit VT & NH tomorrow. Only two states I missed are CT (sorry Coach Lou) and ME. I believe I drove across the AT at least 7 times. And of course there were signs for all the places I had gone through (Hot Springs, Erwin, Roanoke, Lexington, Harper Valley, Carlisle, etc.).
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Mt Greylock a little different an hour later.
      Beautiful sunset on Greylock.
      Views like this always make me wish my wife was with me. She is a photographer. While I am just a hack trying to capture a glimpse of the beauty with my phone. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

Looking forward to your impressions of Crawford Notch through Gorham. And your time to beat on the Gale River Trail is 2:45.

Have a blast!
      I am the last one for breaking any speed records, but when I hit 2:45 l will promise to think of you. :)
      My goal is just to keep my body together and keep moving.
    • Pinkham Notch: Joe Dodge Lodge
      Dropped my mail drops off at the Gorham post office and also hand delivered one to Rattlesnake River Hostel. Checked into my room and waiting for dinner. Since it is still early in the season probably have the room to myself. Catching 7:30 shuttle in morning to Gale River Trail, so will try to go to bed early (breakfast at 6:3am).

Surprised how full my day pack (Osprey Tallon 22) still is without sleeping bag, pad, tent, stove, fuel, and food. But all the "winter" clothes take up room. When I get back here in a week I will make a decision about whether to keep my puffy down jacket. But after my experience on Mt Lafayette last summer I want to err on the over prepared side this time, at least to start with. It is ironic how for years I worked to get my pack lighter and lighter every year, and now since I have hit the Whites it is the opposite.

Being a tourist these past two days has been fun, but the effort will really pick up tomorrow. Gonna be climbing a whole lot more than the 89 stairs of the Mt Greylock War Memorial this morning. :)
      Images
      • 20190618_153537.jpg

133.44 kB, 800×600, viewed 289 times
      • 20190618_091607.jpg

161.09 kB, 800×600, viewed 327 times
    • LIhikers wrote:

My puffy is down and this seems to be very rainy year so the down jacket is gonna stay home
      My puffy is for camp so I always bring it.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

A puffy in the summer in the Whites is overkill. You just have to guess on what day it will hit.
      In the Whites I would bring the puffy even during both weeks of summer.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier