Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2019

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • CoachLou wrote:

      I just walked up Webster to Mizpah..........I do not run........I take hourly 10 minute breaks.........it took me 6 hours.
      More like 9 hours for me, but I am really slow. That day I fell and slipped on a lot of wet rocks including down an 8 foot slab.
      Got rained and hailed on and even briefly lost a shoe in the mud. As I remember you do start out with a lot of uphill at the beginning.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      I just walked up Webster to Mizpah..........I do not run........I take hourly 10 minute breaks.........it took me 6 hours.
      More like 9 hours for me, but I am really slow. That day I fell and slipped on a lot of wet rocks including down an 8 foot slab.Got rained and hailed on and even briefly lost a shoe in the mud. As I remember you do start out with a lot of uphill at the beginning.
      Also Coach may downplay his hiking speed, but he has a background as a rock climber, where as I grew up on the sandy coast of south Florida with no rocks or hills.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Since there was rain and thunderstorms the day I drove from Andover, ME to Inn at Long Trail in VT, I stopped at Calvin Coolidge Museum/Historical Site at Plymouth Notch. I was excited about it since he is one of two favorite US Presidents. A little disappointing since I knew a lot more about him than the "tour guide" did.
      Images
      • 20190717_115020.jpg

        235.1 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190717_115326.jpg

        199.21 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190717_135624.jpg

        135.35 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190717_125720.jpg

        162.28 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190717_125712.jpg

        168.38 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190717_134732.jpg

        86.89 kB, 450×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190717_122240.jpg

        78.87 kB, 450×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190717_124358.jpg

        92.4 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190717_125006.jpg

        149.3 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190717_124936.jpg

        164.52 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190717_124413.jpg

        159.27 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • When I left VT Friday morning I drove all day to get to my wife's family reunion in the southern hills of Ohio. So what did I do on Saturday morning but go on 2.5 mile hike on the Rim Trail with my oldest son and some of the relatives at Hocking Hills State Park. :)

      Please note the pictures on the internet are a whole lot better than anything I was able to get.
      Images
      • 20190720_111116.jpg

        184.36 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190720_111633.jpg

        250.34 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      • 20190720_110919.jpg

        168.34 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190720_111454.jpg

        178.28 kB, 800×600, viewed 6 times
      • 20190720_114047.jpg

        124.03 kB, 450×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190720_112801.jpg

        137.28 kB, 450×600, viewed 6 times
      • 20190720_121537.jpg

        280.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      • 20190720_121537.jpg

        280.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190720_111633.jpg

        250.34 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190720_110919.jpg

        168.34 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      • 20190720_111116.jpg

        184.36 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190720_111454.jpg

        178.28 kB, 800×600, viewed 6 times
      • 20190720_114047.jpg

        124.03 kB, 450×600, viewed 10 times
      • 20190720_112801.jpg

        137.28 kB, 450×600, viewed 7 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      When I left VT Friday morning I drove all day to get to my wife's family reunion in the southern hills of Ohio. So what did I do on Saturday morning but go on 2.5 mile hike on the Rim Trail with my oldest son and some of the relatives at Hocking Hills State Park. :)
      that's a nice park. probably been 15 years since i've been there, but we hiked there 3 years in a row. highly recommended for anyone in the area.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

      When I left VT Friday morning I drove all day to get to my wife's family reunion in the southern hills of Ohio. So what did I do on Saturday morning but go on 2.5 mile hike on the Rim Trail with my oldest son and some of the relatives at Hocking Hills State Park. :)

      Please note the pictures on the internet are a whole lot better than anything I was able to get.
      First, THANK YOU to Astro for letting us all cyberhike again with you this summer! I love reading the stories and seeing all the pictures.

      Whenever I go to Virginia and then back home, we always go through the Hocking Hills area. I've not yet stopped to hike there but it sure is a beautiful drive.
    • Trillium wrote:

      First, THANK YOU to Astro for letting us all cyberhike again with you this summer! I love reading the stories and seeing all the pictures.
      Your Welcome, I glad you able to enjoy whati had to share. Be sure to tune in next summer for what should be the final installment. Only 167 miles to go. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      Ok, if CC is one of two favorites, why, and who is the other?
      The great communicator, the one I voted for my first two elections. Has not been quite the same since.
      Ironic that of your two favorite presidents, one was known as 'The Great Communicator' and the other was known as 'Silent Cal'.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

      RE: Hawking Hills Park

      Astro, did you hike on the 'Grandma Gatewood' trail? I hear that it is a nice hike.
      No, but will need to look into it. I was just part of a group of at least 40. When we got to the option was the .5 flat or 2.5 rim trail. So my son and I took the latter.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      Ok, if CC is one of two favorites, why, and who is the other?
      The great communicator, the one I voted for my first two elections. Has not been quite the same since.
      Ironic that of your two favorite presidents, one was known as 'The Great Communicator' and the other was known as 'Silent Cal'.
      That is because I believe you should always judge a politician by their actions instead of what they say (or even don't say). ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

      RE: Hawking Hills Park

      Astro, did you hike on the 'Grandma Gatewood' trail? I hear that it is a nice hike.
      that's what we hiked all 3 years -- 2 caves and a waterfall. the grandma gatewood trail is part of the buckeye trail -- the trail that makes a big circle inside the state of ohio (plus a little out and back section just for fun :) ). hard to believe the buckeye trail is 1,400 miles -- it takes the AT 14 states for 2,200 miles!
      2,000 miler