Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

looking for a 90 mile hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• looking for a 90 mile hike

We are planning an approx 90 mile hike in late Aug or Sept and looking for some thoughts on a great section to hike. Moderate fitness level just don't have a lot of mountains to hike in Iowa. Prefer not too far south or North for driving reasons. Last year we hiked 90 miles into Damascus. gif.014.gif
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Bennington > Killington VT is another great moderate sections with plenty of alpine ponds & views. Also easy & cheap public transport for a section hike.
      i agree with this recommendation.

after my thru i initially rehiked georgia (which is where i live) over a series of about 6 weekend hikes. the first state that i chose to thruhike in its entirety was vermont. vermont is about 150 miles; if i had to limit myself to 90 miles this is exactly the section i would choose. bennington (vt 9) is a "real town" with all the services you'll want before your hike begins. at the end on us 4 is the inn on the long trail which i highly recommend you stay at the completion of your trip.

unfortunately, you'll immediately start off the hike with a serious ascent; but the view at the end is well worth the climb.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• a couple comments for future consideration.

one of the most beautiful sections of the trail is the "100 mile wilderness" in maine.

the presidentials in new hampshire is right at a 90 mile section. this would not be considered "moderate" and is the only section on the AT that you will want to do some preplanning as to your camping/hut locations. i don't know weatherwise if you would want to hike there in september; i'll let someone local answer that. i've only been there in the summer (and got snowed on once).

if you liked hiking into damascus you'll like the hike northbound out of damascus. grayson highlands is a "must see"; i've returned there multiple times over the years. if you have any interest at all in biking for $25-$30 you can rent a mountain bike and get shuttled to whitetop station and ride the creeper trail 16 almost all downhill miles back to damascus.

mountain mikes suggestion of the "virginia triple crown" is also a nice hike that i've returned to.
      2,000 miler
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

I have fond memories of all of these suggestions. :thumbup:
      Hopefully someday soon I can say the same of the Whites and Maine.
      You may or may not have sent me an itinerary.....but I no longer have the same email.....I will text you a new one...as soon as I make one.
      I am moving it back a week (if I sent you something earlier). Plan to register for the Huts tomorrow. I send you the current one.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

I have fond memories of all of these suggestions. :thumbup:
      Hopefully someday soon I can say the same of the Whites and Maine.
      You may or may not have sent me an itinerary.....but I no longer have the same email.....I will text you a new one...as soon as I make one.
      I am moving it back a week (if I sent you something earlier). Plan to register for the Huts tomorrow. I send you the current one.
      4th of July I am in Madison, 14 August Andy and I and maybe Rafe will be in Carter Notch. But, I don't need too much of an excuse to spend a night in a Hut!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I've done the north part of the triple crown section (but didn't get past MacAfee Knob). I especially enjoyed the two ridges south of Dragon's Tooth. I hauled water up so I could dry camp in the rocks on Sinking Creek Mtn. Best campsite ever. Also did the north half of SNP. Great views. But I never use shelters and SNP has fewer camp options, although I did find two great spots.