Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

St Patrick's Day

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My wife and I decided we would visit each of Boston's best Irish Pubs over the coming year. We visited the 'Tavern at the End of the World' last week, here is my review...

Ambience: This is a cute little tavern, small in size, but it never felt crowded on this Saturday night. The patrons were super friendly and welcoming, the service was good. We overheard a mix of Irish accents and local natives. This is a neighborhood bar. I have to tell you we had so much fun here, this tavern will be tough to beat as my favorite Irish pub in Boston.

Beer: They have a modest number of taps, but an excellent selection of canned and bottled craft beers. I had a Cigar City Jai Alai and a Chimay Grande Reserve (blue cap). My only complaint if that these beers were too cold for the style. I recommend ordering your next beer early to give it some time to warm up. I can only hope that the Guinness (which was on tap) is kept at cellar temperature.

Food: The food was well above average for pub food. We ordered steak tips with mash potatoes, mussels, and a beet salad. The mussels were excellent, I would want these every time I visit. Kathleen was very happy with her steak tips and the salt was very good. Looking around the room, fries and burgers seem to be popular items. I will return for more.

Watch Video Below :)

youtube.com/watch?v=L0wL4NwrD2k&feature=youtu.be

Music: Saturday night starting at 5:00 PM they have a traditional Irish sessiun. Tonight there was a guitarist, a fiddle and a woman who played both the Irish Uilleann pipes and flute. They were low key, you could join them in the corner if you wished, but they did not overwhelm the rest of the bar. At one point a fine old gal stood up and gave a great a capella rendition of 'The Isle of Innisfree'. I had to look twice to make sure that Maureen O'Hara had not joined the sessiun. By the end of the night Kathleen was up doing a jig with some of the patrons. A great time, I highly recommend the Tavern at the End of the World.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 2 times, last by IMScotty ().

• IMScotty wrote:

My wife and I decided we would visit each of Boston's best Irish Pubs over the coming year. We visited the 'Tavern at the End of the World' last week, here is my review...

Food: The food was well above average for pub food. We ordered steak tips with mash potatoes, mussels, and a beet salad. The mussels were excellent, I would want these every time I visit. Kathleen was very happy with her steak tips and the salt was very good. Looking around the room, fries and burgers seem to be popular items. I will return for more.
      My daughter likes mussels and she has shared in the past that the best ones that she's had were in Belgium. I copied and sent your post to her and suggested she try the pub when/if she visits Boston again.
    • We actually started SPD really early because 2 weeks ago we got to see the Chieftans perform. We go to at least one Irish music festival a year, but never got to see the Chieftans before.

We may also watch an Irish film. I tend to like Irish movies as they have great music, beautiful scenery, clever dialog, and they don't let reallity interfere with a good story. My favorites are The Secret of Roan Inish and Waking Need Devine. The latter is set in Ireland but is actually Manx, and the last 15 minutes, starting with the funeral scene is about the most fun you can have watching a film.
    • i'm (mostly) irish so i did what i do every st patricks day which is to make the "traditional" irish boiled dinner. the leftover corned beef is then used for reubens (the best sandwich ever invented) for lunch every day until it is gone. i think i have 2 more lunches to go and then it's back to salads.
      2,000 miler