Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

In Memoriam

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Today our Corgi Winston died. We adopted him from a shelter a few years ago. It was very odd. Yesterday he was happy as a clam. Running and playing. There was no hint that he was on death's door. This morning he was obviously not well and died during emergency surgery by early afternoon. I've been told this is typical of dogs. That they seem normal then they go all of a sudden. I'm so accustomed to the way we humans linger in misery as our health fades. Dogs don't do that. It is my experience that the source of most human misery is not getting what you want. Dogs live in a constant state of bliss (a proverbial dog's life) primarily because they have no expectations. Despite the lip service we pay to an anhorance to entitlement, I think our obsession with wants is a fundamental flaw of our human nature. Ultimately what draws me most to backpacking is that it teaches (forces) me to be happy with what you can carry on you back over a mountain.

• Always a tough thing to experience. May the memories of a blissful Winston carry you through.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

Today our Corgi Winston died. We adopted him from a shelter a few years ago. It was very odd. Yesterday he was happy as a clam. Running and playing. There was no hint that he was on death's door. This morning he was obviously not well and died during emergency surgery by early afternoon. I've been told this is typical of dogs. That they seem normal then they go all of a sudden. I'm so accustomed to the way we humans linger in misery as our health fades. Dogs don't do that. It is my experience that the source of most human misery is not getting what you want. Dogs live in a constant state of bliss (a proverbial dog's life) primarily because they have no expectations. Despite the lip service we pay to an anhorance to entitlement, I think our obsession with wants is a fundamental flaw of our human nature. Ultimately what draws me most to backpacking is that it teaches (forces) me to be happy with what you can carry on you back over a mountain.

Sorry to hear that...he was a cute little bugger. Dogs dont know they're getting old and are supposed to dwell in misery as they get old, being ignorant of that fact they just keep enjoying life.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.