Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2nd Chance Hiker

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

lol, i guess i don't need to waste any time replying to a post made yesterday that has since disappeared...
      I deleted it.

It seemed to be trolling by someone who joined yesterday for the sole purpose of bashing a hiker.

I thought about it for a while beforehand and even formulated a long reply in my mind. I also considered taking a vote and seeing if y’all wanted it to stay.

I can’t bring it back but I can re-post it if y’all think I should.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

lol, i guess i don't need to waste any time replying to a post made yesterday that has since disappeared...
      I deleted it.
      It seemed to be trolling by someone who joined yesterday for the sole purpose of bashing a hiker.

I thought about it for a while beforehand and even formulated a long reply in my mind. I also considered taking a vote and seeing if y’all wanted it to stay.

i agree with your conclusion that the whole purpose was to bash someone. my first thot was jealousy; your thot that he may be a troll is also valid. probably both -- a jealous troll. :)

i was going to disagree with everything he wrote; i don't need to see the post again. i don't think it added anything to the discussion.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Traffic Jam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I deleted it.

He sounded jealous and butthurt.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Second Chance Hiker has been injured and needed assistance off the trail...

klamathfallsnews.org/news/kcso…r-in-sky-lakes-wilderness

He time delays his videos releases so that is why it has taken a month for this to become widely known. I stopped following his videos because he had entered into territory I had not hiked yet, but I was rooting for him. I am sure some will use this rescue to say 'I told you so,' but I am very happy for him. He should be proud of what he accomplished. Hope he can heal up fast and get back on the trail.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Second Chance Hiker has been injured and needed assistance off the trail...

klamathfallsnews.org/news/kcso…r-in-sky-lakes-wilderness

He time delays his videos releases so that is why it has taken a month for this to become widely known. I stopped following his videos because he had entered into territory I had not hiked yet, but I was rooting for him. I am sure some will use this rescue to say 'I told you so,' but I am very happy for him. He should be proud of what he accomplished. Hope he can heal up fast and get back on the trail.
      thanks for posting; i didn't know this.

i watched his first 30 or so videos -- a record for me as i don't really like hiking videos -- but then he posted one that was a bit over 30 minutes. that did it for me; had no desire to watch a 30 minute video and just got out of the habit of following along. i'll have to jump ahead and watch his last couple or so and see what's going on. hope he gets well and gets back out there.

corey mcdonald...lol, i guess the guy who said he had a great trail name as "chance" was his real last name didn't know what he was talking about. somebody wrong on the internet -- imagine that! :)
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Latest from Little B (Nessa Pepp)

youtube.com/watch?v=Yf1OqC3rbGc
      Funny that they both seemed to think that 'Watermelon Snow' was blood. If I came across what I thought was a blood soaked snowfield, the last thing I would do is enter it!

He should have kept his ice axe in those conditions.

I'm thinking/ hoping this is a only few pulled muscles and he can hopefully bounce back fairly quickly.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

One of my life goals of hiking is to never need a SAR team, especially a helicopter.
      i've always thot it would be horrible to be rescued by flying thru the air connected to a helicopter by a rope.
      but after watching that video i'm convinced the claustrophobia i'd experience would be worse.
      Max,

I'm pretty sure if the claustrophobia does not kill you.... the spin will.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

One of my life goals of hiking is to never need a SAR team, especially a helicopter.
      i've always thot it would be horrible to be rescued by flying thru the air connected to a helicopter by a rope.but after watching that video i'm convinced the claustrophobia i'd experience would be worse.
      Max,
      I'm pretty sure if the claustrophobia does not kill you.... the spin will.

that poor woman.

murphy's law strikes again.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

i've always thot it would be horrible to be rescued by flying thru the air connected to a helicopter by a rope.but after watching that video i'm convinced the claustrophobia i'd experience would be worse.
      Max,I'm pretty sure if the claustrophobia does not kill you.... the spin will.

that poor woman.
      murphy's law strikes again.
      I like the "definitely passed out by now" comment. For her sake I hope that was true.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

i've always thot it would be horrible to be rescued by flying thru the air connected to a helicopter by a rope.
      but after watching that video i'm convinced the claustrophobia i'd experience would be worse.
      I have some issues with claustrophobia. Probably contributed to my success as a high school wrestler. I was highly motivated to keep people off of me. When I was getting my MRI for my shoulder back in 2015 it was really bothering me, but fortunately I was tired enough I fell asleep.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

I have some issues with claustrophobia. Probably contributed to my success as a high school wrestler. I was highly motivated to keep people off of me. When I was getting my MRI for my shoulder back in 2015 it was really bothering me, but fortunately I was tired enough I fell asleep.
      My claustophobia kicks in when watching an adventure show on TV and some guys are exploring a cave and there is this tiny hole that has never been explored and they just crawl in. I start feeling queezy and change the channel. Why can't we have more hiking shows.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

My claustophobia kicks in when watching an adventure show on TV and some guys are exploring a cave and there is this tiny hole that has never been explored and they just crawl in. I start feeling queezy and change the channel. Why can't we have more hiking shows.
      The only time I've experienced true darkness was in a cave, turn out the lights and it's a darkness you can feel.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

yeah...not having space to move isn’t for me. The thought of my arms or legs being confined makes me panicky.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

i watched his first 30 or so videos -- a record for me as i don't really like hiking videos -- but then he posted one that was a bit over 30 minutes. that did it for me; had no desire to watch a 30 minute video and just got out of the habit of following along. i'll have to jump ahead and watch his last couple or so and see what's going on. hope he gets well and gets back out there.
      he posted a Q&A video that's an hour and a half long...

if anyone watches it please post the cliff notes version. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

he posted a Q&A video that's an hour and a half long...
      if anyone watches it please post the cliff notes version. :)
      Yeah I would be interested in the Cliff Notes version too. Don't have 1.5 hours right now to watch.
    • Second Chance hiker posted a video of his hike to the Northern monument. He skipped around and missed some sections, but he hiked more miles this year than I know I did. Most importantly he grew as a person and seems happy with himself. I think you have to call his hike a success. Congratulations to Second Chance hiker.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • interesting article from outside mag.

outsideonline.com/2404743/cory…Q5XXdv1so1SYOzdy4_K8q01Ek

<snip>

Fame, Romance, and a Second Chance on the PCT
      Cory McDonald's main goal was to restore his health on the Pacific Crest Trail. Becoming a YouTube star, getting stalked, and meeting the perfect girl were just exhilarating extras.

<snip>

“You need to take the black capsule,” one troll suggested, a reference to committing suicide. Another, writing on a popular forum for Appalachian Trail hikers called White Blaze, said: “If more people Fat Shamed others (which should probably be compulsory), then perhaps the 39.8% of obesity amongst the 99.3 million US adults could be seriously reduced and SAVE LIVES, instead of being concerned about ‘hurty feelings’!”

“You would think some of these park rangers would intervene ... and [put] a stop to this freak show,” someone else wrote on the same forum. “I did call the PCT assoc. when I first saw this clown and gave them a ear full about it. I think if more people did they can pull his permit.”
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

It turned out to be a Love Story.

Where do I begin, to tell the story of how great a love can be....

HomerBanana
      Hard not to be happy for the guy. Looses over 100 pounds, meets a girl, falls in love, now visiting her in Germany. Really glad he decided to "get off the couch". :thumbup:
    • Sorry Second Chance, enough with the excuses, you blew it.

Since he is a 'public figure' I understand the need to make a public announcement about the breakup. But a half hour video about the break up? I don't know, maybe some things should be kept private.

Quote: 'Little Bee is very regimented.' ' Not the words I would use to describe my German GF to the world, even if it was true.

Sorry 'Little Bee.' I'm sure the last thing you wanted to see is your ex-BF using your breakup for click bait.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Sorry Second Chance, enough with the excuses, you blew it.

Since he is a 'public figure' I understand the need to make a public announcement about the breakup. But a half hour video about the break up? I don't know, maybe some things should be kept private.

Quote: 'Little Bee is very regimented.' ' Not the words I would use to describe my German GF to the world, even if it was true.

Sorry 'Little Bee.' I'm sure the last thing you wanted to see is your ex-BF using your breakup for click bait.
      While at least I was multitasking while I listened to it in the background, it was disappointing. Could have been like two minutes. Basically: had fun wth her in USA where I was the tour guide, then went for visit in Germany, unfortunately due to underlying personality and cultural differences didn't work out, I wish her well.

Lesson learned: While hiking long distance trails we share what we have in common despite our diverse backgrounds and cultures. But when we go back home don't be shocked when those original differences still exist.

Therefore he needed to learn some German and appreciate their culture if he was going to (successfully) live there.