Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Understanding Lard, high energy easy to digest.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Understanding Lard, high energy easy to digest.

Long distance hikers, Ötzi from 5000 years ago ate large amounts of sheep fat and other high energy foods to stay alive in cold environments. It is important to understand how to render lard, as once you do it. The fat or fat back will stay shelf stable for a week or two in you pack... but its tasteless. You have to combine it with a protein and other foods. I am working on a Sloppy Joe idea here.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Not gonna go for pure lard WHO, but using it as the glue in an 'energy bar' would perhaps make it palatable. I think I just described pemmican. I guess the Native Americans knew what they were doing when they were on the trail...
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Growing up we raised pigs on the side and butchered them, and there was a man my dad used to sell the lard to. He felt sort of guilty about it because the man was so big that he more waddled than walked, and if he had a doctor I am sure that would not have been on his prescribed diet. But hey it is a free country. Or at least it was back then. ;)

My parents grew up eating opossum and head cheese, but as a personal choice I ain't going there either. ;(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Growing up we raised pigs on the side and butchered them, and there was a man my dad used to sell the lard to. He felt sort of guilty about it because the man was so big that he more waddled than walked, and if he had a doctor I am sure that would not have been on his prescribed diet. But hey it is a free country. Or at least it was back then. ;)

My parents grew up eating opossum and head cheese, but as a personal choice I ain't going there either. ;(
      My people were the ones that brought youcod soaked in lye (from fireplace ashes). Some traditions are best left to die.