Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2019

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • I hope to finish the Foothills trail. For me, the FHT has a narrow hiking season and I either need to do it before May or in the fall.

      It would be nice to do more AT sections, specifically the northern half of SNP, I40 to Damascus, maybe some day hikes in PA during visits to my daughter.

      There are a few more Cumberland Trail hikes on my list but that trail has so many obstacles and restrictions that I likely won’t finish it. It’s a great trail and I will always love it and support it.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Trying for a do-over of an aborted hike last year. My sister and I planned on a 4-5 day on the Ice Age Trail last June. She wanted to introduce her daughter to backpacking. We looked at a section of the AT but since sister lived in FL, me in WV, and niece in Chicago, we decided on a section of the IAT not far from Milwaukee. Added bonus, no mountains. Hills, yes but nothing like the AT or WV.

      Long story shorter, I came down with some mosquito-borne, viral bug from a visit to the Florida Keys (Boy Scout trip) and spent the next two weeks in bed. Right when we were to hike.

      I'd also like to do some more AT miles. In 2017, my sister and I started at Delaware Water Gap going north as far as we could in the time available. We got 20 miles in and the rocks did in her toes. She had good shoes that worked fine at Philmont the previous year. It was the remains of the PA/NJ rocks that messed up her toes. Off the trail after 25 miles and the Doc said no more hiking that year.

      Hoping for better luck this year...

      The post was edited 1 time, last by EdDzierzak ().

    • Also looking at 2020 - my son and I spent 2 weeks in Edinbugh, Scotland in August. (Note to self - avoid Edinburgh in August - festival time more crowed than an AYCE during the hiker bubble). Sister there took us to Mull, Iona, and a side trip to Staffa. (Insert obligatory distillery tour and tasting). The Highlands are amazing. Found out about the West Highland Way - only 96 miles. It looks to be doable in 10 days or less. I'm getting the itch to hike in Scotland, though this year would be out, hence the early 2020 planning. Airfares look cheap until May. Wife said YES! We'll see how that works out.
    • Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      I'll be starting nobo from Joe Dodge Lodge in July. Not sure of the date. Sometime second half of the month.You guys come on, beers on me. BYC Bring Your Cheesecake.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      I'll be starting nobo from Joe Dodge Lodge in July. Not sure of the date. Sometime second half of the month.You guys come on, beers on me. BYC Bring Your Cheesecake.
      We were going in August.................no bugs!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Current plan is to pick up at Garfield on June 12 and head to Katahdin. Will skip section from Rangeley to Caribou Road that I did last summer.
      Of course all of this is dependent on keeping my body together, although I have a few buffer weeks built in for any minor setbacks. Also finally planning to use the Huts for the Whites so I can slackpack to Joe Dodge Lodge. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Would love to hike Katahdin with you. :thumbup:
      If that doesn't work out, would be great to see you anywhere else along the way.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Right now Kathy and I are planning to hike the 188 miles of the AT in Maine from route 27 at Stratton to the northern terminus.
      We'd also like to get to NY's Catskill mountains a couple of times this year.
      But nothing is set in stone at this point.
      believe it or not, I have only been to the Cats once! Snowshoeing. I want to explore them! But I have more of Harriman yet to walk.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Astro wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Would love to hike Katahdin with you. :thumbup: If that doesn't work out, would be great to see you anywhere else along the way.
      that is in my plan to try to get up there. Ideally I would like to meet you like at Grafton Notch, and get where I can over a few days. Remember I have a relative in Mexico, she was going to drop me off to meet you, and then pick me up a few days later. The same will go for this year. But you guyz are crazy going so early. The bugs in June and early July WILL be ferocious
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Smoking Sox and I are looking to hike from Crawford Notch over Mt Washington, the Wildcats / Carter Notch and finish in Gorham this year. Probably in early September. If I can schedule a business trip to visit some co-workers in our Nashua NH office, I'll add in my orphan section from Franconia Notch to the Gale River Trail.

      In May, my wife and I will be in Italy and we will be hiking the coastal trails that connect the Cinque Terre (Five Lands). Hike a few miles, stop in the next village for some gelato and prosecco, lather, rinse, repeat. Big pasta dinner once we reach the fifth village.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Pinkham Notch NH.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

    • StalkingTortoise wrote:


      In My, my wife and I will be in Italy and we will be hiking the coastal trails that connect the Cinque Terre (Five Lands). Hike a few miles, stop in the next village for some gelato and prosecco, lather, rinse, repeat. Big pasta dinner once we reach the fifth village.
      I hiked the Cinque Terra 35 some years ago. I understand that it has gotten insanely popular since then. Make sure you have rooms reserved, although I think think this will be a less of a problem in May.

      They have a local white wine there that was great. Food is even better.

      I still remember a pizza I has dockside in one of the little towns. I ordered a 'Frutti di Mare' pizza, thinking it might have a few clams on it. Out came a virtual pyramid of the most delicious seafood, shellfish in many varieties, shrimp, calamari, lobster, you name it. At the bottom of that pyramid was the pizza, soaking up the juices. It was delicious.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

      StalkingTortoise wrote:

      In My, my wife and I will be in Italy and we will be hiking the coastal trails that connect the Cinque Terre (Five Lands). Hike a few miles, stop in the next village for some gelato and prosecco, lather, rinse, repeat. Big pasta dinner once we reach the fifth village.
      I hiked the Cinque Terra 35 some years ago. I understand that it has gotten insanely popular since then. Make sure you have rooms reserved, although I think think this will be a less of a problem in May.
      They have a local white wine there that was great. Food is even better.

      I still remember a pizza I has dockside in one of the little towns. I ordered a 'Frutti di Mare' pizza, thinking it might have a few clams on it. Out came a virtual pyramid of the most delicious seafood, shellfish in many varieties, shrimp, calamari, lobster, you name it. At the bottom of that pyramid was the pizza, soaking up the juices. It was delicious.
      Yeah... it's gotten popular. Even in May. There are three cruise ships docking in La Spezia on the day we arrive. :cursing: Nothing like a thousand tourists descending on the little villages for a few hours of sightseeing. And that's in addition to everyone (like me) who is spending the night.

      I snagged an airbnb in Vernazza for one night. We're coming up from Siena, so we'll make a stop in Pisa to climb that tilted bell tower before continuing onto Vernazza. Hike the next morning and back in Siena for dinner. We're looking forward to the food!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Pinkham Notch NH.
    • Hint to avoiding crowds. When visiting that tilted bell tower, go around to the north side. From that side, it is leaning directly away from you so it looks straight. For some reason, no one wants to walk to this side to get this picture (except me). I posted this on my FB page and had a few people convinced that they had straightened the tower.


    • CoachLou wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Would love to hike Katahdin with you. :thumbup: If that doesn't work out, would be great to see you anywhere else along the way.
      that is in my plan to try to get up there. Ideally I would like to meet you like at Grafton Notch, and get where I can over a few days. Remember I have a relative in Mexico, she was going to drop me off to meet you, and then pick me up a few days later. The same will go for this year. But you guyz are crazy going so early. The bugs in June and early July WILL be ferocious
      I don't think I saw any bugs last July, but maybe I was still too far south or just got lucky. I did get bit by a black fly in 2015 in July in Vermont. Had a nasty allergic reaction to it, my hand swelled up for a whole day
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Would love to hike Katahdin with you. :thumbup: If that doesn't work out, would be great to see you anywhere else along the way.
      that is in my plan to try to get up there. Ideally I would like to meet you like at Grafton Notch, and get where I can over a few days. Remember I have a relative in Mexico, she was going to drop me off to meet you, and then pick me up a few days later. The same will go for this year. But you guyz are crazy going so early. The bugs in June and early July WILL be ferocious
      I don't think I saw any bugs last July, but maybe I was still too far south or just got lucky. I did get bit by a black fly in 2015 in July in Vermont. Had a nasty allergic reaction to it, my hand swelled up for a whole day
      I didn't really have in bug problems in June last year either. Perhaps I just got lucky, but would appreciate the same this year. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Would love to hike Katahdin with you. :thumbup: If that doesn't work out, would be great to see you anywhere else along the way.
      that is in my plan to try to get up there. Ideally I would like to meet you like at Grafton Notch, and get where I can over a few days. Remember I have a relative in Mexico, she was going to drop me off to meet you, and then pick me up a few days later. The same will go for this year. But you guyz are crazy going so early. The bugs in June and early July WILL be ferocious
      I don't think I saw any bugs last July, but maybe I was still too far south or just got lucky. I did get bit by a black fly in 2015 in July in Vermont. Had a nasty allergic reaction to it, my hand swelled up for a whole day
      I didn't really have in bug problems in June last year either. Perhaps I just got lucky, but would appreciate the same this year. :)
      They were all in the 100-mile wilderness with me.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Would love to hike Katahdin with you. :thumbup: If that doesn't work out, would be great to see you anywhere else along the way.
      that is in my plan to try to get up there. Ideally I would like to meet you like at Grafton Notch, and get where I can over a few days. Remember I have a relative in Mexico, she was going to drop me off to meet you, and then pick me up a few days later. The same will go for this year. But you guyz are crazy going so early. The bugs in June and early July WILL be ferocious
      I don't think I saw any bugs last July, but maybe I was still too far south or just got lucky. I did get bit by a black fly in 2015 in July in Vermont. Had a nasty allergic reaction to it, my hand swelled up for a whole day
      I didn't really have in bug problems in June last year either. Perhaps I just got lucky, but would appreciate the same this year. :)
      They were all in the 100-mile wilderness with me.
      they had to be somewhere!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Going to plug away on the AT. Hoping to return to New Hampshire in July. Also taking the camping trailer across country late spring? And my hiking buddy, Slingshot, and I are cooking up a Virginia AT section hike in March- I've already done all of VA at least once, but I don't care, I have a blast every time.
      HB & I try to get to Harriman Park as often as we can. This summer we are going to do the Carter Section in NH. And of course our pal Astro will be up here at some point, and we will need to hook up with him!
      Would love to hike Katahdin with you. :thumbup: If that doesn't work out, would be great to see you anywhere else along the way.
      that is in my plan to try to get up there. Ideally I would like to meet you like at Grafton Notch, and get where I can over a few days. Remember I have a relative in Mexico, she was going to drop me off to meet you, and then pick me up a few days later. The same will go for this year. But you guyz are crazy going so early. The bugs in June and early July WILL be ferocious
      I don't think I saw any bugs last July, but maybe I was still too far south or just got lucky. I did get bit by a black fly in 2015 in July in Vermont. Had a nasty allergic reaction to it, my hand swelled up for a whole day
      I didn't really have in bug problems in June last year either. Perhaps I just got lucky, but would appreciate the same this year. :)
      They were all in the 100-mile wilderness with me.
      they had to be somewhere!
      There were a gazzillion of them in ME but they didn't bother me as much as the one that stayed in my right ear for a week when I started the AT one March...always wondered why not the left ear also, glad I finally wore that sucker down.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      I am still planning my trek to Everest Base Camp. I won't be taking it in the foreseeable future but I'm still planning
      If it is the distant future why just stop a the base camp, might as well go all the way. :D
      By "not in the forseeable future" i I mean that by the time I get around to it, I'll be so old that just getting to Namche will be an accomplishment. But with all those years of planning, I'll know more about the trek than anyone in the world (not including those people who have actually been there).
    • Still trying to figure out a plan for my remaining miles through the Whites. I'm not trying to set any speed or endurance records and want to leave time during the day to linger at any viewpoints (assuming I'll have views. The breakdown is as follows:
      • Crawford Notch to Mizpah Spring Hut
      • Mispah Spring to Lake of the Clouds Hut
      • Lake of the Clouds to Madison Spring Hut
      • Madison Spring to Pinkham Notch
      • Pinkham Notch to Carter Notch Hut
      • Carter Notch to Route 2 (Gorham)



      I have three options for finishing the Franconia Ridge:
      • Add two more days to the hike from Crawford Notch to Gorham in September.
      • Early June: Drive up overnight, hike up the Gale River Trail and spend the first night in the Galehead Hut. Hike from Galehead to the Greenleaf Hut on Day 2, then from Greenleaf to Franconia Notch on Day 3.
      • Early June: Drive up a day early. Hike from Franconia Notch to the Greenleaf Hut on Day 1. Hike from Greenleaf to the Gale River Trail on Day 2 then descend to the trailhead in the valley.
      One of the challenges is trying NOT to start a hike on Saturday or Sunday, since the parking in the Notches is crazy. Such is the life of a Section Hiker...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Pinkham Notch NH.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

      Still trying to figure out a plan for my remaining miles through the Whites. I'm not trying to set any speed or endurance records and want to leave time during the day to linger at any viewpoints (assuming I'll have views. The breakdown is as follows:
      • Crawford Notch to Mizpah Spring Hut
      • Mispah Spring to Lake of the Clouds Hut
      • Lake of the Clouds to Madison Spring Hut
      • Madison Spring to Pinkham Notch
      • Pinkham Notch to Carter Notch Hut
      • Carter Notch to Route 2 (Gorham)



      I have three options for finishing the Franconia Ridge:
      • Add two more days to the hike from Crawford Notch to Gorham in September.
      • Early June: Drive up overnight, hike up the Gale River Trail and spend the first night in the Galehead Hut. Hike from Galehead to the Greenleaf Hut on Day 2, then from Greenleaf to Franconia Notch on Day 3.
      • Early June: Drive up a day early. Hike from Franconia Notch to the Greenleaf Hut on Day 1. Hike from Greenleaf to the Gale River Trail on Day 2 then descend to the trailhead in the valley.
      One of the challenges is trying NOT to start a hike on Saturday or Sunday, since the parking in the Notches is crazy. Such is the life of a Section Hiker...
      just what I did last August. But it rained on day Four and I left down Valleyway. HB and I will do the Carters this August.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Yeah ! gif.014.gif I get to keep my gallbladder. I need to tighten up on my low fat diet to avoid anymore uncomfortable flare-ups, damn for something the size of your thumb it can sure give you a devil of a time. So you guys will get hiking pictures instead of scar pictures. :) :) :) :) :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      Hopefully heading back to the Foothills trail in a few weeks. It would be nice to finish this before it gets hot.
      I love that trail

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Yeah ! gif.014.gif I get to keep my gallbladder. I need to tighten up on my low fat diet to avoid anymore uncomfortable flare-ups, damn for something the size of your thumb it can sure give you a devil of a time. So you guys will get hiking pictures instead of scar pictures. :) :) :) :) :)
      my wife lost hers, and without trying lost a bunch of weight and turned slim
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • My son moved from Asheville to Greensboro but kept an apartment in Ashville (how the heck do you spell ashville) and has been trying to have me put it to use, thinking of maybe doing Mt Mitchel (?) to Ashville on the MTS Trail end of next week...34 miles...and taking in some of the brewers there.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.