Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2019

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

I wish you well in dealing with the heat. But if it doesn't work out, you can always join me in the Whites in a couple of weeks. I am sure it will not be as hot. :)
      Astro...where are starting/ending and what date?
      June 19 Gale River Trail back to Garfield campsite and then Galehead Hut for the night. NoBo from there to Katahdin. Expected July 28. Have 2 weeks buffer in case I get dinged up or slower than expected. Plan to shuttle past Rangeley to Caribou Valley Road section I did last year
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

I wish you well in dealing with the heat. But if it doesn't work out, you can always join me in the Whites in a couple of weeks. I am sure it will not be as hot. :)
      June 19 Gale River Trail back to Garfield campsite and then Galehead Hut for the night. NoBo from there to Katahdin. Expected July 28. Have 2 weeks buffer in case I get dinged up or slower than expected. Plan to shuttle past Rangeley to Caribou Valley Road section I did last year
      Today was my last work day for a month, trying to decide what, if anything to do, two months ago I was on the verge of giving my bike away and hiking as well because the knees were bad....now... yesterday I had one of those once a year days when I felt like I could do a marathon and not get tired, did 75 minutes of hard cardio at the gym and weights and never got winded....these are the days I get injured!!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Be careful in the heat. I've been to the hospital twice for heat related issues, and it wasn't any fun.
      You have that right. Yesterday was like walking in an oven. Got to a road crossing just in time to get rehydrated thanks to a trail angel. I still had a liter of water in a bottle outside of my backpack, but I could not drink it the water had gotten so hot.

Only 10 miles left for me in this section hike. Rather than face the noon sun out there again, I have decided to split up the hike. I'll do 5 miles this evening after things cool off, and walk to HikerHeaven in Agua Dolce tomorrow in time for lunch. Right now I'm just cooling my heals at the Acton KOA campground. Looking forward to being with my family again.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Isn't Coach Lou going on a hike about the same time? It would be nice just to pick a spot we could all meet for a night.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Isn't Coach Lou going on a hike about the same time? It would be nice just to pick a spot we could all meet for a night.
      unfortunately he is in NH in June, I'm up Madison on 4 july, and Webster cliff the 6th. And Andy and I will be on the Carter-Moriahs and Wild River Wilderness the Middle of August.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Abysmal hiking conditions for me lately.

The planned hike to Damascus was canceled due to other obligations. I was very bummed so planned to hike a few miles and spend the night in SNP on my way to see the grand baby last week but that didn’t work out either.

Not sure when I’ll get to hike, next week is music camp so all my time is spent practicing and memorizing tunes.

But if that’s all I have to be sad about, my life is pretty damn wonderful!

Hope everyone is doing great.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Abysmal hiking conditions for me lately.

The planned hike to Damascus was canceled due to other obligations. I was very bummed so planned to hike a few miles and spend the night in SNP on my way to see the grand baby last week but that didn’t work out either.

Not sure when I’ll get to hike, next week is music camp so all my time is spent practicing and memorizing tunes.

But if that’s all I have to be sad about, my life is pretty damn wonderful!

Hope everyone is doing great.
      I like the way you think :!:
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Looks like I just might have the opportunity to hike for about two weeks beginning mid July. I'm thinking maybe Pinkham Notch (Gorham NH) to Monson ME. 180 miles. Thoughts?
      I "should" be ahead of you. But as slow as I am you might catch me.
      I don't think I'll catch up with you. It would be nice though
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Looks like I just might have the opportunity to hike for about two weeks beginning mid July. I'm thinking maybe Pinkham Notch (Gorham NH) to Monson ME. 180 miles. Thoughts?

CoachLou wrote:

Pinkham to monson in 14 days would be quite a feat..... the black flies won’t even catch you!
      as an anal cpa i'm required to point out that it's 201.6 miles from pinkham notch to monson.

with the caveat that i didn't have a deadline, it took me longer than 14 days despite having 4 months of trail legs to do that section.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Pinkham to monson in 14 days would be quite a feat..... the black flies won’t even catch you!
      as an anal cpa i'm required to point out that it's 201.6 miles from pinkham notch to monson.
      with the caveat that i didn't have a deadline, it took me longer than 14 days despite having 4 months of trail legs to do that section.
      you're right, I must have fat fingered on the atdist site
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hello Everyone,

I have finally finished updating my TrailJournal for my last PCT section hike. I hiked from Big Bear Lake to Agua Dulce, CA. There are 18 new entries, so keep clicking 'Next.'

trailjournals.com/journal/entry/618389

I covered about 195 miles in 19 days which was a bit of a disappointment to me. I stopped a bit short of where I wanted because the heat and sun of the desert is just too much for my pasty Irish body. My plan is to return in January to do the Mojave desert crossing.

If you have not read the rest of my TrailJournal and want to start at the beginning here is the link...
      trailjournals.com/journal/entry/552752

Scott

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have finally finished updating my TrailJournal for my last PCT section hike. I hiked from Big Bear Lake to Agua Dulce, CA. There are 18 new entries, so keep clicking 'Next.'

trailjournals.com/journal/entry/618389

I covered about 195 miles in 19 days which was a bit of a disappointment to me. I stopped a bit short of where I wanted because the heat and sun of the desert is just too much for my pasty Irish body. My plan is to return in January to do the Mojave desert crossing.

If you have not read the rest of my TrailJournal and want to start at the beginning here is the link...
      trailjournals.com/journal/entry/552752

Scott

Awesome pictures! :thumbup:

Mojave desert, now that might be my kind of of winter hiking.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Ten days from my departure for New Hampshire. My hiking prep has consisted of working in my yard on landscaping projects. So far, I have aced the 'sweating like a pig' portion of my training.

Surprisingly, manually moving large quantities of topsoil from curbside to the bottom of my yard (steep downslope) has done wonders for my quads. I guess they do most of the work when I'm fighting the downhill momentum of a wheelbarrow full of dirt.

My buddy Smoking Sox has been using a slightly different training regimen. He heads over to the Whites on weekends and has been knocking off 4000-footers. He's currently mulling over the option of spotting me a 2-day head start and meeting me at Madison Spring Hut on Day 3. I'm currently mulling the option of adding pack rocks to his GoLite pack...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

...Surprisingly, manually moving large quantities of topsoil from curbside to the bottom of my yard (steep downslope) has done wonders for my quads. I guess they do most of the work when I'm fighting the downhill momentum of a wheelbarrow full of dirt...
      Back in college, my University required all students to take two semesters of gym classes. One think I remember from my 1/2 semester of weightlifting class (40 years ago) is that you lower the weight slowly because the exercise your muscles get from lowering the weight is just as import and the exercise of lifting the weight.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Ten days from my departure for New Hampshire. My hiking prep has consisted of working in my yard on landscaping projects. So far, I have aced the 'sweating like a pig' portion of my training.

Surprisingly, manually moving large quantities of topsoil from curbside to the bottom of my yard (steep downslope) has done wonders for my quads. I guess they do most of the work when I'm fighting the downhill momentum of a wheelbarrow full of dirt.

My buddy Smoking Sox has been using a slightly different training regimen. He heads over to the Whites on weekends and has been knocking off 4000-footers. He's currently mulling over the option of spotting me a 2-day head start and meeting me at Madison Spring Hut on Day 3. I'm currently mulling the option of adding pack rocks to his GoLite pack...
      Instead of rocks, stuff his pack with beer. He won't be nearly as mad when he discovers them.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Slingshot and I and a few others are planning a hike of about half of the SNP in mid October. It'll be my third hike of the northern part. Anyone want to join us, send me a pm. Should be a good time with some fall foliage.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference