Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2018 Hiking Miles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2018 Hiking Miles

How many miles did you hike in 2018? 6
        >2,000 (0) 0%
        1,500 (0) 0%
        1,000 (0) 0%
        750 (0) 0%
        500 (0) 0%
        250 (2) 33%
        100 (3) 50%
        <100 (1) 17%
      I thought it would be interesting to see how many miles we actually hike each year. So this poll is for the past year, 2018.
      • Please include all trails, not just the AT.

• All miles hiked, not just new ones (I know some of some of us do a lot of out and backs, or local trails we hit hit often).

• Counting hiking on trails, not just walking around the neighborhood or the local track.
      To make it look simpler I just put the levels, but 100 would be 100-249, 250 would be 250-499, etc..
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• between my back and then later in the year, my knee, an unusually low year for me. i didn't even keep my spreadsheet which i've updated weekly for probably close to 10 years.

i'm guessing 150 or so miles pretty equally split between the desert in arizona and kennesaw mountain. all day hiking; no backpacking last year.

i gained 10 pounds last year so my inactivity literally shows.

i day hiked 4 days the first week in january so starting off this year on the right foot.
      2,000 miler
    • I'll estimate about 320 miles this year.

Hiked another 270 miles of the PCT (less than I had hoped).
      Another 15 miles of the Long Trail.
      And the balance in various Day Hikes.

Hoping to complete 400 PCT miles in 2019, but these will be desert miles and I do seem to have trouble with those.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • 80 AT miles in 2018 along with a dozen or two miles of hiking at my local state park or exploring in China and Malaysia. A winter storm warning pruned 13 miles off my spring hike in TN / NC and a delayed start cost me 12.4 miles in the Whites. Still, a good year with great views.

But I did get a hardscaping project completed on the side of my house. My inspiration was the terraces at Machu Picchu.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Every day I remind myself to write down my mileage this year before it slips my mind but then don’t do it. I’m already starting to forget my mileage.

Question, do we include walking on greenways/asphalt? What if it includes a little running? Ugh, this is getting complicated. :D
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Every day I remind myself to write down my mileage this year before it slips my mind but then don’t do it. I’m already starting to forget my mileage.

Question, do we include walking on greenways/asphalt? What if it includes a little running? Ugh, this is getting complicated. :D
      good question. I walk a lot around the neighborhood and with the dog thru a couple of battlefield parks-never occurred to me to count those miles, but maybe I should. Especially the park miles as those are trails through the woods
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Every day I remind myself to write down my mileage this year before it slips my mind but then don’t do it. I’m already starting to forget my mileage.

Break it out if you want.... there are no rules here.

It is worth keeping track, if for no other reason than as a motivator to keep you from sliding further into inaction each year. I tracked my backpack miles. I wish I could say there were a lot more pavement walking miles, but the truth is I have 11 months of inactivity and then go on a hike. Not a very healthy way to live.

I am at an age where 'use it or loose it' really applies. There is a fear that if I stop doing the little that I do do I will never hike again. That would make me sad because memories of those days out on the trail are what keep me going when I am working the rest of the year.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier