Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Epic Stop on the AT! The Station at 19e Pub/Hostel

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Epic Stop on the AT! The Station at 19e Pub/Hostel

Don't miss the new hotspot on the AT. When you approach 19e at Roan Mountain, TN watch for the blue blaze (brew blaze) on the right before the main road. It is the old railroad bed, which will bring you straight to the Station at 19e. 27 Bed Hostel, Craft Beer Pub, Huge Breakfast, Food, Free Shuttles to town, Flat rate everything included even a wash cloth :) . Live music, house instruments even a boot dryer. Ramp Festival April 13th. Hiker Palooza May 4th.
      facebook.com/thestationat19e
    • thestationat19e wrote:

on't miss the new hotspot on the AT. When you approach 19e at Roan Mountain, TN watch for the blue blaze (brew blaze) on the right before the main road. It is the old railroad bed, which will bring you straight to the Station at 19e. 27 Bed Hostel, Craft Beer Pub, Huge Breakfast, Food, Free Shuttles to town, Flat rate everything included even a wash cloth . Live music, house instruments even a boot dryer. Ramp Festival April 13th. Hiker Palooza May 4th.
      I completely agree, in the distant past that was one of the worst road crossing on the AT. Now it is arguably one of the best.
    • Thank you Blue Jay. Our community has worked extremely hard with the goal of being the most friendly town on the AT (Roan Mountain). We reached out and got 41st AT Community Status, put in a Hiker Paloosa which will be on May 4th this year coupled with Roan Mountain Hard Core trail maintenance on the 5th. We try to provide free shuttles or quick hitches to town.
      Images
      • hiker palooza logo2.jpg

44.68 kB, 267×600, viewed 436 times
    • for what it's worth, copy pasta from whiteblaze (i have no idea as to its accuracy):

whiteblaze.net/forum/showthrea…16&viewfull=1#post2244416

Hiker BEWARE of scammer at 19E (TN)

I just did a section hike between Iron Mtn Gap and 19E. There is a guy waiting for folks at 19e who pretends to be the folks from Mtn Harbour Inn. Hikers come off the trail asking if he is the guy with the "famous breakfast for $12" and he says yes, but instead of taking them to Mtn Harbour, he takes them to his hostel Station 19e where he doesn't have a license to cook homemade food, so he serves cold cereal, bagels and bananas for $10. He also illegally cut a blue blaze off the AT and named it Brew Blaze that leads to his place. NOT COOL. This guy moved to the area 3 years ago after leaving a career as a used car dealer in New Mexico to scam hikers here in TN. He is poaching from a family run business that has given their blood sweat and tears to AT hikers for over 16 years. Please don't reward this sort of behavior by giving them your money!
      [/quote]

edit to add: a comment from "thestationat19e" (the OP on this thread) would be welcomed.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 4 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

for what it's worth, copy pasta from whiteblaze (i have no idea as to its accuracy):

whiteblaze.net/forum/showthrea…16&viewfull=1#post2244416

Hiker BEWARE of scammer at 19E (TN)

I just did a section hike between Iron Mtn Gap and 19E. There is a guy waiting for folks at 19e who pretends to be the folks from Mtn Harbour Inn. Hikers come off the trail asking if he is the guy with the "famous breakfast for $12" and he says yes, but instead of taking them to Mtn Harbour, he takes them to his hostel Station 19e where he doesn't have a license to cook homemade food, so he serves cold cereal, bagels and bananas for $10. He also illegally cut a blue blaze off the AT and named it Brew Blaze that leads to his place. NOT COOL. This guy moved to the area 3 years ago after leaving a career as a used car dealer in New Mexico to scam hikers here in TN. He is poaching from a family run business that has given their blood sweat and tears to AT hikers for over 16 years. Please don't reward this sort of behavior by giving them your money!

edit to add: a comment from "thestationat19e" (the OP on this thread) would be welcomed.[/quote]
      I stayed at Mountain Harbor when passing thru there, and would personally recommend it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • back in the day the locals in that area hated the trail. fish hooks were strung across the trail at face level. a shelter was burned. there was an attempted rape. hikers were warned to be vigilant when hiking north of 19e and to get thru the area as fast as possible.

given that context, there are lot of things worse than possibly getting scammed out of a great breakfast.

edit to add: the only thing negative mentioned in my 5 year old companion is that the parking area on 19e has had many incidents of reported vandalism and it is recommended not to park there overnight.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

back in the day the locals in that area hated the trail. fish hooks were strung across the trail at face level. a shelter was burned. there was an attempted rape. hikers were warned to be vigilant when hiking north of 19e and to get thru the area as fast as possible.

given that context, there are lot of things worse than possibly getting scammed out of a great breakfast.

edit to add: the only thing negative mentioned in my 5 year old companion is that the parking area on 19e has had many incidents of reported vandalism and it is recommended not to park there overnight.
      I would agree it is all a matter of perspective. Better missing a good warm breakfast than fishhooks and the various other challenges of the past.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I reported on this deal in my trip report from the Sams Gap - Dennis Cove section. The owner of Doe River Hiker Rest / The Station at 19E is definitely a sleazebag based on his predatory practices at the 19E trailhead. A former used car salesman? That is believable. During my stay at Mountain Harbour, I spoke with hikers who were approached at the trailhead with a combination of a sell job for the Doe River Hostel and false information about Mountain Harbour.

With that said, Mountain Harbour's success is not guaranteed nor deserved just because they were there first. They are good folks, but they unapologetically run a business to make money.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• This person obviously doesn't know me and never has been to the Doe River or The Station at 19e. No I've never been a used car salesman and no I don't prey on hikers. When I started this I did my market research and asked hikers what they didn't like about hostels and looked at a bunch of them. #1 transportation, hikers loved to be picked up at the trailhead and like to go to town without paying a fortune. #2 nickle and dime #3 overpriced resupply #4 would like a beer. So I decided to give free shuttles to and from the trailhead and free shuttles to town whether or not you are staying with me or not. We increased restaurant sales in Roan Mountain by 25% in 2016 simply by doing this. I paid for it all out of pocket and gave away over 6000 cokes. We decided to charge a flat rate to include everything, soaps, laundry, shuttle, lines, shower, foot bath even a mint on your pillow and a washcloth. Instead of sitting out in front of Dollar General for hours I lowered resupply prices to that of dollar general. Hikers appreciate it and I appreciate not having to go to dollar general all day. Then there is the hybrid craft beer pub, restaurant, resupply, music hall/movie theater & 28 bed hostel. I have nothing but good things to say about Mountain Harbor and their long standing on the AT. I just decided to step up the game and do it differently. How is it that I don't have a bad review on guthook or anywhere else but this one comment? I think it's time that providers on the AT start treating the hostel business as a customer service business and giving hikers the highest level service possible. If that makes me a used car salesman then so be it. I welcome any and all of you to stop in and feel the positive energy here at the station.
      David Magee