Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Christmas 2018

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Merry Christmas one and all! I got the best present- got my health back, today is the first day in about six weeks that I have felt well. I went thru an upper respiratory infection, bronchitis and a sinus infection. My doctor told me twice to go to the hospital if I didn't feel improvement in 48 hours. Thought for sure I was going to end up in the hospital or under the grass- I was that ill and I'm rarely ever sick. Anyway good to be able to walk around the block again.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Merry Christmas. Our family is all over the country and less able to travel than us, so for now it is our lot to be on the road for the holidays, which isn't too much fun, but the other choice is to home alone.

      I think I'm getting a new watch from Santa. I requested a nice simple analog watch with a light up dial and fabric band. Should be perfect for hiking.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Merry Christmas one and all! I got the best present- got my health back, today is the first day in about six weeks that I have felt well. I went thru an upper respiratory infection, bronchitis and a sinus infection. My doctor told me twice to go to the hospital if I didn't feel improvement in 48 hours. Thought for sure I was going to end up in the hospital or under the grass- I was that ill and I'm rarely ever sick. Anyway good to be able to walk around the block again.
      great new JJ. Get well soon.
    • Merry Christmas everyone!

      Used to opening presents early due to four children. But this year oldest son will not be able to be with us until Thursday. So everyone will just have to wait a couple of extra days. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

      StalkingTortoise wrote:

      Merry Christmas to all! May your new year bring strong legs and a light pack. And a nip of bourbon for each summit.
      Now there's an excellent idea I never would of thought of.Is there a brand or special kind of bourbon that's better for hiking with than others?
      i'm not a big drinker -- and when i do it's pretty much beer or wine -- but here's what i do:

      buy a container of jim beam in the lightweight plastic container in the size of your choice (i get the smallest; 100 ml is 2 drinks).
      pour the jim beam down the sink. (1)
      refill with makers mark.

      (1) just kidding
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

      StalkingTortoise wrote:

      Merry Christmas to all! May your new year bring strong legs and a light pack. And a nip of bourbon for each summit.
      Now there's an excellent idea I never would of thought of.Is there a brand or special kind of bourbon that's better for hiking with than others?
      I've found that most hikers don't get too particular about what's in the bottle after a hearty climb. Sox and I always repeat our favorite toast from Easy Rider: "Nip, nip, nip... Firefly."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • LIhikers wrote:

      I want to wish a blessed and joyful Christmas to those to celebrate the holiday.
      Is anybody hoping or expecting any specific outdoor gear as gifts?
      We finally opened our gifts today. When I got back home last summer I decided in 2019 I would take the advice I had been getting and use the huts from Garfield to Joe Dodge Lodge.

      So to support that I "gifted" myself a Sea to Summit silk mummy liner and an Osprey rain cover for my Tallon 22. Plan is to park at Joe Dodge Lodge (Pinkham Notch), shuttle next morning to Gale River Trail and then swap packs out as I come back through.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      I want to wish a blessed and joyful Christmas to those to celebrate the holiday.
      Is anybody hoping or expecting any specific outdoor gear as gifts?
      We finally opened our gifts today. When I got back home last summer I decided in 2019 I would take the advice I had been getting and use the huts from Garfield to Joe Dodge Lodge.
      So to support that I "gifted" myself a Sea to Summit silk mummy liner and an Osprey rain cover for my Tallon 22. Plan is to park at Joe Dodge Lodge (Pinkham Notch), shuttle next morning to Gale River Trail and then swap packs out as I come back through.
      About when are you going? I plan on starting nobo from JDL mid July or later.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      I want to wish a blessed and joyful Christmas to those to celebrate the holiday.
      Is anybody hoping or expecting any specific outdoor gear as gifts?
      We finally opened our gifts today. When I got back home last summer I decided in 2019 I would take the advice I had been getting and use the huts from Garfield to Joe Dodge Lodge.So to support that I "gifted" myself a Sea to Summit silk mummy liner and an Osprey rain cover for my Tallon 22. Plan is to park at Joe Dodge Lodge (Pinkham Notch), shuttle next morning to Gale River Trail and then swap packs out as I come back through.
      About when are you going? I plan on starting nobo from JDL mid July or later.
      June 12 is the current plan, but I am sure you can catch me. 340 miles in 40 days assuming I don't take a zero (8.5 mpd). We will see what actually happens. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      I want to wish a blessed and joyful Christmas to those to celebrate the holiday.
      Is anybody hoping or expecting any specific outdoor gear as gifts?
      We finally opened our gifts today. When I got back home last summer I decided in 2019 I would take the advice I had been getting and use the huts from Garfield to Joe Dodge Lodge.So to support that I "gifted" myself a Sea to Summit silk mummy liner and an Osprey rain cover for my Tallon 22. Plan is to park at Joe Dodge Lodge (Pinkham Notch), shuttle next morning to Gale River Trail and then swap packs out as I come back through.
      About when are you going? I plan on starting nobo from JDL mid July or later.
      June 12 is the current plan, but I am sure you can catch me. 340 miles in 40 days assuming I don't take a zero (8.5 mpd). We will see what actually happens. :)
      Well darn, I can't start that early. But maybe I'll see you on the trail.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I received a guidebook for the Tuscany region of Italy and a matching calendar with scenes from the different cities. A strong hint from my sister to visit her while she is living in Siena.

      @Astro June 12th, eh? Hmmmm. I was trying to pick a date to head back up the Gale River Trail, spend the night at the Galehead Hut, then hike SOBO to Franconia Notch. Maybe we can cross paths. Or share a path. And a nip or two.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Crawford Notch NH.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      I want to wish a blessed and joyful Christmas to those to celebrate the holiday.
      Is anybody hoping or expecting any specific outdoor gear as gifts?
      We finally opened our gifts today. When I got back home last summer I decided in 2019 I would take the advice I had been getting and use the huts from Garfield to Joe Dodge Lodge.So to support that I "gifted" myself a Sea to Summit silk mummy liner and an Osprey rain cover for my Tallon 22. Plan is to park at Joe Dodge Lodge (Pinkham Notch), shuttle next morning to Gale River Trail and then swap packs out as I come back through.
      About when are you going? I plan on starting nobo from JDL mid July or later.
      June 12 is the current plan, but I am sure you can catch me. 340 miles in 40 days assuming I don't take a zero (8.5 mpd). We will see what actually happens. :)
      Well darn, I can't start that early. But maybe I'll see you on the trail.
      It would be great to see you again. I am leaving a few weeks buffer at the end in case I get a minor setback, I still have time to recover. Really do want to complete this "10 year" journey. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

      I received a guidebook for the Tuscany region of Italy and a matching calendar with scenes from the different cities. A strong hint from my sister to visit her while she is living in Siena.

      @Astro June 12th, eh? Hmmmm. I was trying to pick a date to head back up the Gale River Trail, spend the night at the Galehead Hut, then hike SOBO to Franconia Notch. Maybe we can cross paths. Or share a path. And a nip or two.
      It would be great to meet you in person if it works out. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

      I received a guidebook for the Tuscany region of Italy and a matching calendar with scenes from the different cities. A strong hint from my sister to visit her while she is living in Siena....
      Maybe you don't need a place to stay near Sienna if your sister is there. But if you do, check out La Gavina Agritourismo B&B. It is about 5.5 miles north of Sienna. It is far and away the best vacation accommodation I have ever stayed at. The owner/operator Emeliano is also a chef and cooks dinner for all guests every night. The dinner is optional, but for just 22 Euro, you would be nuts to to eat there. You'll need a car as it is far off the beaten path, despite being so close to Sienna. It's not large, not expensive, not fussy, just wonderful.

      Also, if you are in Florence, try to eat at Vini E Vecchi Sapori. It is literally just 50 feet from the Piazza della Signoria which is filled with soulless restaurants catering to clueless tourist who have no idea that this culinary gem is literally just steps away. Again, it's not large, not expensive, not fussy, just wonderful. Reservations far in advance are usually required. We just showed up and got lucky, It helped that we were there in the middle of the afternoon and they were able to squeeze us in by having us share a table with a couple of older men who seemed to know everyone who walked in the door.


      And if you get to the touristy hill town of San Gimignano, be sure to try (and buy) some of their local dry white wine, Vernaccia di San Gimignano. It is soooo good, and had to find over here, despite having the reputation of being one of Italy's finest varietals for over 500 years.

      lagavina.it/en_index.html

      Vini E Vecci Sapori Map

      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernaccia_di_San_Gimignano

    • As I've mentioned before, I'm 100% Polish so we celebrate Wigilia (Christmas Eve). To start Wigilia we share the Oplatek. When sharing it, you go from person to person and they break off a small piece from your Oplatek, then you tell them what you wish for them in the new year. My son-in-law told me that he hopes I am able to get back on the AT in 2019 for another LASH (although that's not what he called it LOL). His wish for me was a GREAT gift and has inspired me.
    • Trillium wrote:

      As I've mentioned before, I'm 100% Polish so we celebrate Wigilia (Christmas Eve). To start Wigilia we share the Oplatek. When sharing it, you go from person to person and they break off a small piece from your Oplatek, then you tell them what you wish for them in the new year. My son-in-law told me that he hopes I am able to get back on the AT in 2019 for another LASH (although that's not what he called it LOL). His wish for me was a GREAT gift and has inspired me.
      Inspiration can be a very useful tool
      I hope it works out the way you want.