Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Katahdin to NY outdoors

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Katahdin to NY outdoors

Can youse guys up north, and/or any thru hikers who have found their way here, please illuminate my ignorant, grits eatin' self? Can I sleep in the woods, or at least near them, in my tent, or under the stars, every night throughout New England, on or near the AT. I want to be legal, am willing to do extra miles if necessary, but I do not want to sleep in a shelter, hostel, hut, or other structure during my thru attempt. I don't need to hear the arguments for just going with the flow. I actually do intend to hike my own hike and appreciate any information that will help me stay outdoors. Thanks. :)
      ................................................................................

aficion wrote:

Can youse guys up north, and/or any thru hikers who have found their way here, please illuminate my ignorant, grits eatin' self? Can I sleep in the woods, or at least near them, in my tent, or under the stars, every night throughout New England, on or near the AT. I want to be legal, am willing to do extra miles if necessary, but I do not want to sleep in a shelter, hostel, hut, or other structure during my thru attempt. I don't need to hear the arguments for just going with the flow. I actually do intend to hike my own hike and appreciate any information that will help me stay outdoors. Thanks. :)

yes
      its all good

aficion wrote:

no problem at all
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

aficion wrote:

In fact, you can probably get good pizza as easily! :P
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

aficion wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Yes, not much of a problem.

Good. What I was hoping to hear. Will look into details when the time comes.
      biggest headache is the presidential range. wait for good weather, cuz its a long day above treeline from naumann to valley way, and very few alternatives if youre avoiding the huts, rest of the northeast is no issue, although the amc does charge a fee to stay at the sites they manage in nh and maine.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

aficion wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Yes, not much of a problem.

I agree that has to be the longest above tree line/bad weather obstacle. You could shorten it a bit by using Valley way but it's about 1 mile off trail so maybe longer in big picture. Check out my post on BBs question about the whites. I have some links there for the whites. If the weather socks in consider the AMC shuttle, Numerous FS campgrounds. Or hikeing the Pemi wilderness that is below tree line to kill time. The Whites are awesome in great weather & miserable in lousy weather. I have been there in early June one year & in Blizzard conditions (Took the Cog up w/wife.)

The next year I went up with some friends on auto road about the same time frame & a light wind breaker was all that was needed.

PS: Send me a pm with email adress I can send PDF files of Whites I made from my TII/Nat Geo map program I bought.

Good. What I was hoping to hear. Will look into details when the time comes.
      biggest headache is the presidential range. wait for good weather, cuz its a long day above treeline from naumann to valley way, and very few alternatives if youre avoiding the huts, rest of the northeast is no issue, although the amc does charge a fee to stay at the sites they manage in nh and maine.