Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATC Map Sale

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ATC Map Sale

the annual ATC map sale is now on; runs every year from now til just before christmas. get all the ATC maps for half off -- $158.

but there is an important change this year which reflects current trends. the sale used to be get all the ATC state guidebooks and all the maps for half off. thru hikers don't use the guidebooks anymore (well -- i did but that was 30 years ago and i was in the minority even back then). i imagine they get sold a state at a time to section hikers. probably 5 years i took advantage of the sale and got all new guidebooks and maps.

you can still get all the guidebooks and maps at the undiscounted price of $361 which much pretty guarantees that no thruhiker is gonna use them again. i paid $150ish for my current set.

edit to add: occasionally a former thruhiker will recommend that the new hampshire guidebook be carried becasue the AT can be a bit confusing in the whites.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I have my full set of guidebooks. Depends on the section, but most of them have interesting information on the history and ecology of the area around the trail. Makes the extra weight worth it for me.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I enjoy reading the guidebook for the section we'll be hiking.
      Sometimes we carry it with us, and sometimes not.
      I wish I had read mine a little closer last summer before I left. Probably would have jumped up to Stratton instead of Rangely. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I painstakingly type the guidebook landmarks into a spreadsheet for each section. It's a lot easier for me to reach into my pocket and pull out a folded sheet (protected by a Zip-Lok) than to remove my pack, dig out my phone, fire it up, and launch Guthook. Of course, there are those stretches of trail with no landmarks for miles. That's when I consult with Guthook to convince myself I'm making progress.

I like the detail and history contained in the guidebooks. My partner Smoking Sox is a Guthook fan, but he appreciates when I go all Cliff Claven on him with facts and figures for the section we're hiking.

"You know Sox...this is the area where the Shelton brothers were killed. You see, the Shelton brothers were from the south but chose to fight for the Union army in the Civil War..."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Cliff Claven/John Ratzenberger....Interesting bit I read about him. He first auditioned for "Norm". But knew he was wrong for the part. So he asked the people at the audition if they had "that know-it-all-guy....at every bar". Nope...they hadn't thought about it! He nailed it. Many of his words of wisdom, were ad-libbed. Occasionally you can catch the looks on the other cast members "what is he talking about?!?!" and "don't laugh...MUST NOT laugh". Sort of like watching Tim Conway....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Cliff Claven/John Ratzenberger....Interesting bit I read about him. He first auditioned for "Norm". But knew he was wrong for the part. So he asked the people at the audition if they had "that know-it-all-guy....at every bar". Nope...they hadn't thought about it! He nailed it. Many of his words of wisdom, were ad-libbed. Occasionally you can catch the looks on the other cast members "what is he talking about?!?!" and "don't laugh...MUST NOT laugh". Sort of like watching Tim Conway....
      Tonight is Triva night at our local brew pub. I hate to say it, but I'm that know-it-all-guy. Others may find it annoying, but since you get 30$, 20$ and 10$ gift cards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, I haven't had to pay for any beer in the last 13 months I've been going there.