Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Why most of America can't make great biscuits.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

Hardees has better biscuits and sausage gravy.
      that's for sure! the biscuits were always a treat and the gravy yummy.

unfortunately my local hardees recently closed down due to new management. previous owners ran the place for 25 years. I think the new owners were only interested in the real estate. that location was probably worth too much for a fast food place.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Now they have (or at least used to) a breakfast bowl with biscuits, sausage, egg, and gravy. :thumbup:
      For the sake of my health I have been trying to stay away from it. :saint:

But now you got me thinking about picking up my bad habits again. :evil:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Now they have (or at least used to) a breakfast bowl with biscuits, sausage, egg, and gravy. :thumbup: For the sake of my health I have been trying to stay away from it. :saint:

Just tell wife you have to go hiking again to lose the weight put on by eating biscuits and gravy. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Now they have (or at least used to) a breakfast bowl with biscuits, sausage, egg, and gravy. :thumbup: For the sake of my health I have been trying to stay away from it. :saint:
      Just tell wife you have to go hiking again to lose the weight put on by eating biscuits and gravy. :)
      another kevin and i apparently have the same doctor -- on days we hike -- we are allowed to eat anything!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Now they have (or at least used to) a breakfast bowl with biscuits, sausage, egg, and gravy. :thumbup: For the sake of my health I have been trying to stay away from it. :saint: But now you got me thinking about picking up my bad habits again. :evil:
      another kevin and i apparently have the same doctor -- on days we hike -- we are allowed to eat anything!
      Great reason going on a hike. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

The the last couple times we were in a Hardees, they were so awful (dirty, bad food) I swore I'd never go back. The only other place on my "Never Again" list is Big Boy.
      Yeah that's the problem with Hardee's, they are hit and miss. Usually the corporate ones, the ones owned by Bodie Noel in NC, are good.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

Look what I got for Christmas from my daughter in Raleigh. So I finally got around to making a batch. They look great. I used this recipe:

southernliving.com/recipes/buttermilk-biscuits

They are definitely fluffy. Don't know if it is the flour, the recipe, or both.

or the cook!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

Look what I got for Christmas from my daughter in Raleigh. So I finally got around to making a batch. They look great. I used this recipe:

Yes that video had techniques I have never seen before! good find!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • odd man out wrote:

This is a test.....which biscuit in that pan would you choose to eat first?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I live on the edge... But a puff is not in my character...

Seriously - Deanna made Cranberry Scones tonight and they too were light and fluffy - Loved it... better than moms!!!!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I believe the answer would tell a lot about a person, most would either choose the lower left or lower right, the lower left is "perfect", the lower right somewhat unattractive but different...which one is most appealing? There's a TV show with a with a woman with a facial imperfection she probably would not like to have, without it she's just another beautiful woman, with it she's smoking hot sexy....I'd go for that biscuit on the right.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

the biggest.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

the biggest.
      size matters
    • You don't need self-rising flour, just add 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt per cup of regular cake flour. Replace half the baking powder with baking soda if you're using buttermilk or soured milk - which you should, the biscuits need the acid to rise properly. Swans Down or King Arthur cake flour works well for a lower-protein fine-milled flour, which is what you want for fluffy biscuits.

If all you can get is all-purpose flour, you can try using 7/8 cup of all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in place of a cup of cake flour. The results aren't as good as with a soft-wheat flour, but they're better than with all-purpose flour all by itself. So for buttermilk biscuits if youŕe marooned in Yankee country and have trouble finding buttermilk or cake flour, I´d go with something like what I learnt from my Grandma Ida-May:

2 1/2 cups cake flour (or substitute 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour + 6 Tbsp cornstarch)
      2 tsp baking powder
      2 tsp baking soda
      1 tsp salt

1 cup buttermilk (or substitute 1 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice, plus enough milk to make 1 cup of sour milk, or 1 cup plain yogurt)

1 stick butter, very cold or frozen

2 Tbsp butter, melted, optional

Sift the dry ingredients together.

Cut the butter into very fine lumps or run it through a coarse grater, and stir into the dry ingredients until coated. The butter should NOT be fully incorporated.

Let rest in the refrigerator 10-15 min.

Make a well in the mixture and add the buttermilk. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened, maybe 15 strokes. The mixture will be lumpy and sticky. DO NOT OVERWORK THE DOUGH - it'll make the biscuits tough.

Turn out on a floured surface, flour the top, and roll out about 3/4 inch thick. Fold in thirds. Repeat rolling and folding 3-4 times, then roll to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a floured 2 1/2 inch round cutter. If you're doing this on a hot day and you don't have air conditioning, let the dough rest in the fridge for 5-10 minutes between rollings. Reshape the scraps, adding flour as needed to handle the dough.

Bake on parchment paper on a baking sheet in a hot (475°F) oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Optiponally, brush with additional melted butter.

Yield: About a baker's dozen.

This is not a good trail recipe. On the trail, there are few good surfaces for rolling out, and I don't bring a rolling pin, and biscuits have to be dry-baked. Best I can offer for on the trail is flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/140214…/album-72157644331682423/
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • on a 100 point scale, with scores below 70 considered failing, the restaurant where i get my morning biscuit just scored a 47 on their health inspection a couple weeks ago. even worse, improper storage of the sausage gravy was one of the items cited.

i just read that they were retested last week and scored a 100. i should probably eat their tomorrow while they are still clean. :)

i guess my normal breakfast of oatmeal and blueberries is healthier in more ways than one.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

on a 100 point scale, with scores below 70 considered failing, the restaurant where i get my morning biscuit just scored a 47 on their health inspection a couple weeks ago. even worse, improper storage of the sausage gravy was one of the items cited.

i just read that they were retested last week and scored a 100. i should probably eat their tomorrow while they are still clean. :)

i guess my normal breakfast of oatmeal and blueberries is healthier in more ways than one.
      I would not worry Max, improperly stored sausage gravy, what could go wrong with that?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier