Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Classical Music!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Classical Music!

out of curiosity i said...

"alexa - play hooked on classics."

and there it was! haven't listened to this since the 80's. spotify has (at least) volumes 1-6.

i have a classically trained musician friend and he HATES this album.

it's the perfect blend of classical and disco! :)

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

out of curiosity i said...

"alexa - play hooked on classics."

and there it was! haven't listened to this since the 80's. spotify has (at least) volumes 1-6.

i have a classically trained musician friend and he HATES this album.

it's the perfect blend of classical and disco! :)

I have to agree with your friend. should be entitled "Classics for dummies".
    • We have an album where the Hampton String Quartet plays well known Christmas songs arranged as if they were written by famous classical composers. Same are ala Mozart. Some Beethoven. Other Brahms. The arrangements can be rather sophisticated. For example in Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas there is a development section from 1:50 to 2:25 after which is the requisite recapitulation. And in Frosty the Snowman there is a fugue starting at 1:00 followed by some licks taken right from Beethoven opus 18 quartets. Enough to make an old string quartet player bust a gut.

• so yeah i like classical music, especially from the boroque period. i found this video on utube i thought i'd watch since it memtions vivaldi. the group has a chinese girl playing the viola da gamba (think cello with frets). there is a part where the girl playing the recorder adds a few notes to her part (big no no). the look on the chinese girls face is priceless. i'm sure she must be saying wtf to herself. otherwies the video is not very interesting. the priceless part begins at 2:30 and lasts only 10 or 15 seconds.

• Viola da gama is not quite a cello. The cello is in the violin family (with the viola). All have 4 strings tuned in 5ths. Viols have more strings and tuned with a variety of intervals, commonly 4ths. The shape is different. The modern double bass used in orchestras is shaped and tuned like a viol (although it only has 4 strings).

And if you would like to try composing your own baroque ditty, try yesterday's Google Doodle. Here is my attempt a familiar melody written by my cousin (with simplified rhythm).

g.co/doodle/z4mydd
    • odd man out wrote:

Viola da gama is not quite a cello. The cello is in the violin family (with the viola). All have 4 strings tuned in 5ths. Viols have more strings and tuned with a variety of intervals, commonly 4ths. The shape is different. The modern double bass used in orchestras is shaped and tuned like a viol (although it only has 4 strings).

And if you would like to try composing your own baroque ditty, try yesterday's Google Doodle. Here is my attempt a familiar melody written by my cousin (with simplified rhythm).

g.co/doodle/z4mydd
      is this viola da gama related to vasco da gama? possibly you missed the point of my post. never mind.
    • Adrian and Emma Jean. Father and daughter; Emma is 11 years old.

Talented in their own right; part of their popularity is someone posted on social media that they are the son and granddaughter of Andrea Bocelli -- not true of course but Facebook never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Making this point is really the reason for the post. :) (I'm convinced that almost no one fact checks memes and stories that come across their feed before forwarding it along.) They obviously have a youtube page where you can find their videos. They started doing the videos to pass the time when the pandemic began.

I believe the song that first brought them attention is The Prayer (which if you don't recognize the title if you listen to the radio at all you'll probably recognize it immediately.) It is on youtube along with a version by Bocelli and Celine Dion.

But I've chosen to post Time To Say Goodbye as I've always liked the version by Bocellli and Sarah Brightman.

Adrian and Emma Jean:

Bocelli and Brightman:

2,000 miler
    • RE: Time to Say Goodbye

I keep coming here because every time I do I learn something new. Not my usual end of the music dial, but who does not appreciate great talent when they hear it?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Not classical but I love this performance by Itzhak Perlman.

And to make this hiking related, on my thru there was a town in Massachussets that according to the Philosphers Guide had a fruit stand and made homemade donuts on site. So even though I didn't need resupply, I walked the couple miles or so to town to eat there. While hanging around there I saw a community bulletin board and saw that the Boston Pops was giving a performance that evening at their outdoor venue in Tanglewood, and the guest star that evening was Itzhak Perlman. I don't normally listen to classical music, but I knew the Pops and Tanglewood from PBS and I had heard of Perlman. And where I was standing was a bus stop for the local bus -- and one of it's stops was Tanglewood. Figured I'd never be here again, so I got on the bus and went.

When I arrived I wandered around, and discovered a lake and a wooded area nearby. Perfect -- a chance to take a swim and clean up as best I could and then camp in the woods overnight. Turns out the property was owned by the Boston Symphony, and I met a few of the Pops members. Like I said, I don't normally listen to classical music but still had an enjoyable evening using my sleeping bag as a blanket on the grass.

TJ, when I first saw the TTSG video a few years ago I was going thru the comments and read that quite a few people wrote that the song was played at a loved ones funeral or that they were going to have it played at theirs.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

And to make this hiking related, on my thru there was a town in Massachussets that according to the Philosphers Guide had a fruit stand and made homemade donuts on site. So even though I didn't need resupply, I walked the couple miles or so to town to eat there. While hanging around there I saw a community bulletin board and saw that the Boston Pops was giving a performance that evening at their outdoor venue in Tanglewood, and the guest star that evening was Itzhak Perlman. I don't normally listen to classical music, but I knew the Pops and Tanglewood from PBS and I had heard of Perlman. And where I was standing was a bus stop for the local bus -- and one of it's stops was Tanglewood. Figured I'd never be here again, so I got on the bus and went.
      When I arrived I wandered around, and discovered a lake and a wooded area nearby. Perfect -- a chance to take a swim and clean up as best I could and then camp in the woods overnight. Turns out the property was owned by the Boston Symphony, and I met a few of the Pops members. Like I said, I don't normally listen to classical music but still had an enjoyable evening using my sleeping bag as a blanket on the grass.

TJ, when I first saw the TTSG video a few years ago I was going thru the comments and read that quite a few people wrote that the song was played at a loved ones funeral or that they were going to have it played at theirs.
      Wow, Hiker Trash meets Tanglewood. When worlds collide :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier