Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Took a walk today

Getting to learn this site and reading around a bit. Didn't quite know where to put this so I guess "General" is the right place for this post.

Took a walk today. No pack and no A to B destination, wound up where I started from, right back at home. Since I took no pack and came back from where I left that was not a hike, correct? I'll just call it a walk then. Did stop for a beer on the way at roughly the halfway mark but not for long. Otherwise no stops just plod plod plod on the rails-to-trails path to where it branches with the Finger Lakes Trail. Eight miles out and eight miles back. My usual daily stroll is four to five miles. Rained like hell too but I loved every minute of it.
    • Took a walk today

O.K. we'll call it a hike then. Normally I don't walk non stop like that and I'll go about four miles and then take a breather. This crazy weather we've been having pretty much dictated my hike. Last week we had several days on end of about 4*F with steady winds that got pretty blustery at times and a windchill factor of -25* for most of it. Suddenly the past couple days it warmed right up. When I started out at about 3:00 it was snowing fairly heavily, those big huge wet flakes that fall super slowly when there is no wind and a bit foggy. by the time I covered five miles it didn't know if it wanted to snow or rain. Then it just plain rained. A lot. Went from a drizzle to a downpour actually and the temp was 40*, T-shirt weather here in Buffalo for this time of year. That's why I didn't stop save for the quick pint. If it had suddenly gotten windy or the temperature had plummeted (which it often does without much warning) I would have been royally screwed because I was soaked right through to the bone.
    • Took a walk today

Blacksmith wrote:

O.K. we'll call it a hike then. Normally I don't walk non stop like that and I'll go about four miles and then take a breather. This crazy weather we've been having pretty much dictated my hike. Last week we had several days on end of about 4*F with steady winds that got pretty blustery at times and a windchill factor of -25* for most of it. Suddenly the past couple days it warmed right up. When I started out at about 3:00 it was snowing fairly heavily, those big huge wet flakes that fall super slowly when there is no wind and a bit foggy. by the time I covered five miles it didn't know if it wanted to snow or rain. Then it just plain rained. A lot. Went from a drizzle to a downpour actually and the temp was 40*, T-shirt weather here in Buffalo for this time of year. That's why I didn't stop save for the quick pint. If it had suddenly gotten windy or the temperature had plummeted (which it often does without much warning) I would have been royally screwed because I was soaked right through to the bone.

Rain and 40 can be miserable but it sounds like you had a great time. I've never hiked more than 12 mi in one day but it's getting easier so I know I'll set some new milestones this summer.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

Blacksmith wrote:

Rain and 40 can be miserable but it sounds like you had a great time. I've never hiked more than 12 mi in one day but it's getting easier so I know I'll set some new milestones this summer.
      oooh they're fun...mile stones. it wasn't that long ago..a.few years back that I did my longest walk/hike of 12 miles while on vacation at the beach and up and down 200 some odd steps of "Old Barney", a light house in NJ on Barneget Bay...then one hot summer night I got a wild hair, started walking about 11:30 at night and the next thing I knew it was 5:30 in the morning and I had covered 16 miles, yet I wanted more...last summer on a hike I did about 22 miles starting at 4:30 in the morning and ending about 7 or 8 in memory serves for a personal all time best....I get the drive, it's fun getting in the zone, good luck.
    • Took a walk today

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Blacksmith wrote:

oooh they're fun...mile stones. it wasn't that long ago..a.few years back that I did my longest walk/hike of 12 miles while on vacation at the beach and up and down 200 some odd steps of "Old Barney", a light house in NJ on Barneget Bay...then one hot summer night I got a wild hair, started walking about 11:30 at night and the next thing I knew it was 5:30 in the morning and I had covered 16 miles, yet I wanted more...last summer on a hike I did about 22 miles starting at 4:30 in the morning and ending about 7 or 8 in memory serves for a personal all time best....I get the drive, it's fun getting in the zone, good luck.

Ty. My ideal would be 14-15 mi without feeling dead at the end. The Smokies are really challenging for me and I hike slow (2mph). It's why I'm gun shy about hiking other places...I read about how easy everyone thinks the Smokies are and it undermines my confidence.
    • Took a walk today

My longest hike was on the LHHT, did a 20 mile (estimate) day and could barely walk when I got to camp. Was still hurting the next morning and had to do a little over 8 to get back to my car. I probably won't be setting any new records any time soon.,
    • Took a walk today

Got that 12 miler in today. A good bit of it was slightly wet as you can see. A good bit was also sugar sand. Sugar sand is not fun. I guess you'd call it embracing the suck. Lovin' the suck. Suckin' the suck. Sugar sand sucks. The swamp water, now that's fun. Teasing the noobs about gators and moccasins. gif.013

Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Re:Re: Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Blacksmith wrote:

Ty. My ideal would be 14-15 mi without feeling dead at the end. The Smokies are really challenging for me and I hike slow (2mph). It's why I'm gun shy about hiking other places...I read about how easy everyone thinks the Smokies are and it undermines my confidence.

2mph is not slow .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Mountain-Mike wrote:

milkman wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

2mph is not slow .

Internet hiking is where the speed comes in and where all the records are set.

AT can be done in 3-13 minutes acording to youtube. But most of the posters have great weather!

Whew! That's fast! Even if the weather is good.

Distance is nothing - gradient is everything.
      One of my hiking mantras.
      My longest day on AT was 28 mile (with full pack).
      On my Bib hike I did several 25+mile days. (also with full pack).
      I hike pretty quick, over 3mph usually on good ground, but to achieve distance the key is the lack of stopping. In the middle of my AT hike we were knocking out some miles at good speed and we kept "leapfrogging" with Little SAS. As an altitudely challenged lady past her youth, she didn't walk very fast at all. I described her as having the shortest legs and biggest smile on the trail. She just kept pumping out the miles....
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

I hike pretty quick, over 3mph usually on good ground, but to achieve distance the key is the lack of stopping. In the middle of my AT hike we were knocking out some miles at good speed and we kept "leapfrogging" with Little SAS. As an altitudely challenged lady past her youth, she didn't walk very fast at all. I described her as having the shortest legs and biggest smile on the trail. She just kept pumping out the miles....

I envy people like that.

OzJacko wrote:

I'm about 5'1 or 2. I have a lot of cockamamie theories not based on anything factual. One of my theories is that shorter people work harder than taller people when it comes to hiking. When I hike, I use more of my glutes, abs, and hamstrings because I have to lift my legs higher to climb. Sometimes, I have to raise my leg up 45 deg to get over a steep part. This really wears me down. Going down steep areas is even harder and I often sit down and slide down on my butt. I've been more diligent about strength training this winter and have noticed hiking has been easier.

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I'm about 5'1 or 2. I have a lot of cockamamie theories not based on anything factual. One of my theories is that shorter people work harder than taller people when it comes to hiking. When I hike, I use more of my glutes, abs, and hamstrings because I have to lift my legs higher to climb. Sometimes, I have to raise my leg up 45 deg to get over a steep part. This really wears me down. Going down steep areas is even harder and I often sit down and slide down on my butt. I've been more diligent about strength training this winter and have noticed hiking has been easier.

I like your theory. Most especially since I am 5'2". My husband is 6'3" ish and I joke constantly about my 2-3 steps and high knee walking to his one and normal.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot

Ewok11 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I like your theory. Most especially since I am 5'2". My husband is 6'3" ish and I joke constantly about my 2-3 steps and high knee walking to his one and normal.

But short people have smaller tents, clothes, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc.
      They can be more lightweight.
      My son would get a kink in his spine in some U/L tents.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Took a walk today

milkman wrote:

Got that 12 miler in today. A good bit of it was slightly wet as you can see. A good bit was also sugar sand. Sugar sand is not fun. I guess you'd call it embracing the suck. Lovin' the suck. Suckin' the suck. Sugar sand sucks. The swamp water, now that's fun. Teasing the noobs about gators and moccasins. gif.013

what the hell ya mean teasin? those areas are off limits to invertebrates and other scaly vermin? kinda like deer crossings... :lol:

Ewok11 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I'd go with the smaller tent for the weight savings...and install a zipper so his upper half could cowboy camp....why should you both suffer.

rocksNsocks wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I'd go with the smaller tent for the weight savings...and install a zipper so his upper half could cowboy camp....why should you both suffer.

That made me laugh out loud for real. He has the opposite philosophy. If he gets it to fit himself, in his words I'm "pocket sized", so I usually fit in whatever space is left over.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Took a walk today

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

what the hell ya mean teasin? those areas are off limits to invertebrates and other scaly vermin? kinda like deer crossings... :lol:

It's so hot down there they have to hike in the water!
    • Took a walk today

Mountain-Mike wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

It's so hot down there they have to hike in the water!

Yeah, and if they start to get tired, the gators and snake help them pick up the pace.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Took a walk today

Blacksmith wrote:

ten miles today on the rails-to-trails. Gorgeous and sunny but c-c-cold and slippery going with a glaze of ice on the asphalt.
      Five miles to the Valley Inn on Rt 5 in Clarence then a huge bacon/provolone/brontasaurus burger and five miles back home :)

No beer? I'm hoping to take a walk on Thursday, looks like it'll be decent weather.
    • Took a walk today

Despite not feeling good when I woke up, I had a fabulous walk today in the Smokies. Went 10 miles and averaged 21 min/mile. Stopped at The Market in Maryville, TN and ate a pimento cheese sandwich with Benton's bacon and chicken noodle soup. Splurged for some elk jerky too.

The trail was the easiest I've ever walked in the park, thus the quick pace...I had to walk fast to stay warm :)
    • Took a walk today

I hiked to Russell Field Shelter from Cade's Cove yesterday. This route has about 3000' elevation gain in 3.5 miles. I felt the muscles burning. It took me 3 1/2 hrs to hike 5.5 miles to the shelter, including stops, so 3 hrs actual hiking. On the way, I broke open a cut on my hand that wouldn't stop bleeding. My revamped, first aid kit didn't have what I needed so contemplated calling SAR for a bandaid :) I'll be revamping the first aid kit again. The birds were out en mass at the lower elevation. Once, I came around a corner and startled a dozen or more Junco's and Cardinals on the trail, they were so beautiful. The wildlife tracks were abundant and fun to look at. I think I recognized turkey, fox, bird, rabbit, deer, and chipmunk (or squirrel). I didn't stay long at the shelter as I was on a time schedule and just snapped a few pics, ate, and headed back down. Ate pizza and drank some cheap wine for dinner. It was a great day.
    • Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

I hiked to Russell Field Shelter from Cade's Cove yesterday. This route has about 3000' elevation gain in 3.5 miles. I felt the muscles burning. It took me 3 1/2 hrs to hike 5.5 miles to the shelter, including stops, so 3 hrs actual hiking. On the way, I broke open a cut on my hand that wouldn't stop bleeding. My revamped, first aid kit didn't have what I needed so contemplated calling SAR for a bandaid :) I'll be revamping the first aid kit again. The birds were out en mass at the lower elevation. Once, I came around a corner and startled a dozen or more Junco's and Cardinals on the trail, they were so beautiful. The wildlife tracks were abundant and fun to look at. I think I recognized turkey, fox, bird, rabbit, deer, and chipmunk (or squirrel). I didn't stay long at the shelter as I was on a time schedule and just snapped a few pics, ate, and headed back down. Ate pizza and drank some cheap wine for dinner. It was a great day.

TJ you put some miles on your buggy to!! When did you go to Pine Grove Furnace and then go to GSNP!!!!! Did you stop anywhere in between?

I walked down the street to Subaru today, twice in this horrible blizzard gif.002
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: